Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sisy bar or luggage rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default sisy bar or luggage rack

Gang, I'm going to be doing some riding state to state soon. I'm on a very limited budget and trying to decide the most efficient way of carrying my luggage back. I'm buying a Saddleman bag for my 2012 SG. To hold the bag, I'm trying to decide if I should go with either (i) the standard sissy bar (part # 54247-09) or (ii) the Detachable 2-up Gloss Black Luggage Rack (part # 50300042). I'm trying to deiced which has the best advantage for securing my luggage.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's chrome for $138 Sissy Bar a & Pad

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...457&s=prod.php

Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks but I'll put 3 .357 bullets into my Harley before I put any of that cheap jap **** on my bike.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:22 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

well, you better buy a large magazine.....its hard to get parts that aren't foreign made. back to the question, i think i'd go for the sissy bar. you can get a bigger back pack/luggage behind you that way. think just a luggage rack would be hard to secure luggage on.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:47 AM
esoog
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could only do only one, I would go with the sissy bar. Attach the Saddleman bag backwards and let it rest on the passenger part of your seat, that will take place of the luggage rack. With it that way you also get back support by leaning back on the bag.

On my old FXD anytime the better half wasn't with me and I needed my TBag I would always turn it that way and have something to lean on.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 AM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Thanks but I'll put 3 .357 bullets into my Harley before I put any of that cheap jap **** on my bike.
Now that's funny . You better get a gun with a much bigger mag than a 357 unless china chits is considered better than jap chit !!!!

Old 07-05-2013, 06:37 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by esoog
If I could only do only one, I would go with the sissy bar. Attach the Saddleman bag backwards and let it rest on the passenger part of your seat, that will take place of the luggage rack. With it that way you also get back support by leaning back on the bag.

On my old FXD anytime the better half wasn't with me and I needed my TBag I would always turn it that way and have something to lean on.
I use my luggage rack for smaller, light things (a bag that is big enough to hold my full face and a couple of other items), but use the sissy bar when travelling. As others have said - I can use the luggage for a backrest (although now that I have a backrest, not such a big deal).

Also, can carry more weight (racks do have a weight limit although it is more than the official rating) and I feel it is less likely to shift or fall off. And, if it shifts, you will have some warning since it is close to you and you will either feel it or see it in your mirrors. I can't see my bag on the tour rack in my mirrors, so have to reach way-way back to feel if it is still there.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 AM
DeputyFLHX
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready to do the same and I am going the sissy bar route. Just seems more secure to me I guess than something falling off a rack at 80mph. I don't want to lose that SAC Deluxe bag for sure.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Many times a luggage rack by itself isn't enough to secure the luggage as most attach to sissy bar too.

As others have said, a sissy bar will allow you as a solo passenger to put luggage on seat. But do yourself a favor, get the 4-point QD hardware to allow for future luggage rack.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

I've always been a fan of a sissy bar at least for securing luggage, and a luggage rack for smaller, lighter incidentals. I have a Saddlemen sissy bar bag that a throw on the passenger seat, secured to the sissy bar. Works great, lasts long time.

For my new Road King, I bought my stuff at Kutter HD, and saved over $100 altogether, plus free shipping, and no sales tax. Can't beat that with a really big stick. Plus, everything was in stock and ready to go. It seems that a lot of those things are on backorder on the HD website.

If you're on a budget, the $$ you save on the sissy bar upright, pad, and 4-point docking hardware combined will go a long way toward a luggage rack in the future.

Quick Reply: sisy bar or luggage rack