Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Advice on cams (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/897080-advice-on-cams.html)

HDV-GLIDE 08-06-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tinman265 (Post 11608477)
With the 255's be ready for the heat. It feels like I put the cat back on.

If your bikes tuned properly, you should not have that much heat....My bike was not tuned properly since I installed the MGS True Dual and I had no heat issues to speak of....Oil temps never exceeded 200 in the mountains of NC and maybe went to 230 while in stop n go traffic on Rt 95 getting there.

mgmmgm 08-06-2013 03:17 PM

Lots of other cam choices besides the Free Cam you have available.
I had the SE255 cams in my 2011 RKC installed at time I bought it with SE Pro super tuner, and V&H power duals and V&H monster rounds. Made 85hp and 100 torque.
I had some ping issues when weather got hot. Bike threw off some heat as well, glad I had ACR's.

I like my current set up better.

gregmay 08-06-2013 08:19 PM

The 255's work good in a touring bike. The torque comes on early and pulls nicely. It wont be a drag bike but how often are you going to go above 4000 rpm anyway. A good tune and you will be happy with it. Mine doesn't ping or run hot.
The 222 and 48 are other companys answer to the 255, similar torque curves they just come on later and carry a little further but you don't ride the dyno sheet.
Try to find a touring bike with the 255s in it to ride and see if it fits your riding style. I would put them in since they are free, you can always by a set if you don't like them.

iclick 08-08-2013 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by gregmay (Post 11609896)
The 255's work good in a touring bike. The torque comes on early and pulls nicely. It wont be a drag bike but how often are you going to go above 4000 rpm anyway. A good tune and you will be happy with it. Mine doesn't ping or run hot. The 222 and 48 are other companys answer to the 255, similar torque curves they just come on later and carry a little further but you don't ride the dyno sheet. Try to find a touring bike with the 255s in it to ride and see if it fits your riding style. I would put them in since they are free, you can always by a set if you don't like them.

Good post, good advice. Earlier in this thread someone said that some people love and some people hate the 255 cams, but I'll venture to suggest that the vast majority of those who are on the negative side have never actually ridden a bike with them installed. If you dwell on the HP curve of a dyno chart and compare various cams you won't be impressed with the SE255, as they are not designed to produce major peak-HP gains. Their forte is in the low-end and midrange, where most of us ride--and in that range they produce a nice improvement in torque. They do increase peak-HP somewhat, perhaps 5%, so to say that they "fall flat" is not something that I've experienced with my setup.

Hammy 08-19-2013 07:48 AM

Likewise I'd say to all of those that have not riddeen a bike with top-mid range curves would state that "you don't need upper rpm power", Well I've ridden bikes with several different builds and it does come down to preference to a point. The 255 and other low end cams run out of steam at 3500rpms (not that high) and when you install a good mid range cam you get 10-20% better low end and a top end rush that you probably haven't experienced. Mid range cams are the best choice, not drag cams. Example my 106 and 103 make over 100ft lbs from 2500rpms to 4500rpms, yes I have heads in both builds and I've ridden CVO 110's wit hthe se 255 cams and 103's and 96's with se 255 cams. Yes SE255 cams do build more torque than either of my builds below 2500rpms, but I don't lug around at 1500rpms anyway so it just doesn't matter to me. If you like buying crank bearings or having a scissored crank then keep on luggin..

Lowcountry Joe 08-19-2013 09:27 AM

You gotta ask yourself "why is my buddy getting rid of the 255s?". Lot's better cams out there, such as the Andrews 57H for the 103 engine. That cam is developing a good reputation in this engine, so maybe it's one for your short list.

And don't be fooled thinking that an HD cam will save your warranty. All that depends upon the dealer. If you pay him gobs of money to install your friends throw-aways, then maybe he will stand behind it. But that varies from dealer to dealer.

Good luck in your cam choice. And as the others have said, forget replacing the oil pump. The one you have has plenty of capacity.

fwb35 08-19-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by iclick (Post 11616458)
Good post, good advice. Earlier in this thread someone said that some people love and some people hate the 255 cams, but I'll venture to suggest that the vast majority of those who are on the negative side have never actually ridden a bike with them installed. If you dwell on the HP curve of a dyno chart and compare various cams you won't be impressed with the SE255, as they are not designed to produce major peak-HP gains. Their forte is in the low-end and midrange, where most of us ride--and in that range they produce a nice improvement in torque. They do increase peak-HP somewhat, perhaps 5%, so to say that they "fall flat" is not something that I've experienced with my setup.

I have ridden with them in a bike and do not like them, around 3,500 rpms it was like I hit a wind gust in my face in regards to the bike not pulling past that. A friend then let me ride his bike with a stage one and SE 204's, that made my mind up for me, it pulled up to 5,000 rpm's, again, not that I go that high very often, I also did not feel a big difference in the lower rpm's. I like the SE 204's much better, is nice knowing I have the power up to my red line, plus I love the way it sounds at idle, people know it's not stock :)