Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics.. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/904459-my-14-limited-dumped-all-its-coolant-lots-of-pics.html)

batman4706 09-02-2013 08:19 AM

I was in my dealership last week and they told me about a guy buying one in Dallas (60 miles away) and it was leaking and pulled in at the dealership. It was a loose cap on the tank. The mechanic said they already had a bulletin to check the caps.

TheGrandPoohBah 09-02-2013 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by christo651 (Post 11715229)
First off it reminds me of a cocker spaniel, she got all excited that you played with her and she pee'd all over the place. Second to the poster regarding why would anyone want a watercooled bike, I had 2 water cooled, shaft driven Honda Shadows and never had any trouble from them in the tens of thousands of miles I put on them both.

Cocker Spaniel?:icon_goofygrin::icon_goofygrin:

jasnusc 09-02-2013 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD (Post 11715917)
To the OP, What has the dealership said since this has happen, have they came and picked up the scooter yet?

This happened yesterday (Sunday) when the service department was closed and they are also closed today for the holiday. I texted photos to my sells guy just to give him the heads up but theres nothing that can be done until tomorrow.

jasnusc 09-02-2013 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by batman4706 (Post 11716113)
I was in my dealership last week and they told me about a guy buying one in Dallas (60 miles away) and it was leaking and pulled in at the dealership. It was a loose cap on the tank. The mechanic said they already had a bulletin to check the caps.

Mine appears to have leaked from somewhere at the very bottom of the bike around the pump and hoses.

jasnusc 09-02-2013 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by TMOUT (Post 11715333)
If it's going in to be checked out under warranty, get them to change the plastic fan to the metal one while they're at it. Apparently it's an issue as well.......

Are you just yanking my chain or is there really a metal version of the fan? That sounds very odd that they would already have a second version since its brand new?

rmc115 09-02-2013 09:02 AM

I bet it is the pump leaking out a vent hole, happens on cars too sometimes. plastic electric pumps are not new. Mike

SafetyMan 09-02-2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sash302 (Post 11714134)
Harley should stick with the 100 year old good formula keep the F%#*^+€ bikes air cooled!!!

That would be fine...

If the government and EPA would stick with a "100 year old good formula" also.

Jackie Paper 09-02-2013 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jasnusc (Post 11716251)
Mine leaked from somewhere at the very bottom of the bike around the pump and hoses. But just for fun I went out and checked and my cap is not loose.

You talking about the cap on the plastic overflow tank or the actually system cap. The system cap should have two click detent lock. Only the second finishes preloading the pressure spring. If it is just to the first, it would be easy for it once it really gets hot to loose pressure, which would make it instantly boil and go out under the pressure cap. I doubt the one on the plastic bottle is even air tight. The radiator system is designed to be totally full. When the radiators go from being hot to cold, they go into a vacuum (like a canning jar) and suck in fluid from that hose at the bottom of the plastic tank. If the system starts too full in the radiators and the pressure bleeds of slightly, it runs back thru that hose into the plastic bottle. Usually the plastic bottle is only designed to be about 1/3 full or so. Should have a full mark probably marked at cold.

schlacker 09-02-2013 09:23 AM

I would have trouble keeping my temper after this. Hope you can & I'm sure they will take care of it & maybe throw in a couple of hundred in store credit.

Jerry1834 09-02-2013 09:28 AM

Store credits........dreaming for sure!