Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics.. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/904459-my-14-limited-dumped-all-its-coolant-lots-of-pics.html)

LeadSSled 09-12-2013 10:00 AM

IMHO - At the VERY LEAST, a loaner bike should have been provided by now.

bigfish_Oh 09-12-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD (Post 11717907)
Hope its not common because according to HD this new system is tested for 100K miles running in 110 degrees AZ weather or least that's what they saying.I wonder if it's safe to run these bikes in case total loss of coolant.

did they test bikes that were prepped by the most(only) qualified persons in the world?

3408pete 09-12-2013 11:13 AM

this is one place I wont blame the dealer---------when I was getting my hosing the week of sturgis that dealer was in charge of putting the show bikes together for the dealer show.What they got from the moco is vague to say the least and that was the manuals they were provided.This is just another rushed poorly designed setup if you ask me

flhxmc 09-12-2013 11:30 AM

OP,

My dealer told me that MoCo informed them if anything were to go wrong with the cooling system they were to remove it from the bike and send it to them. Do you know if they even contacted MoCo? I would be making some calls myself, if I had not been arrested already.

Mike

Jerry1834 09-12-2013 01:35 PM

For what its worth...the tech at the local HD had this problem only once. What he dose now when prepping the bike is the following.

He actually showed me. He turns the ignition on and rolls the throttle about 3/4 turn. This starts the fan and pump going. He removes the cap. He said he will do this 5 or 6 times. Hasn't had any problems with about 14 setups/sales so far.

Hope this helps but it sounds like you have something else going on. Good Luck.

lonerider2 09-12-2013 01:46 PM

I just read a post over on the HTT, Harley tech talk forum, from a member there that is a salesman at a MN dealer, he posted that they had a 2014 dump the coolant and Harley had them remove all the parts involved with cooling from what I read everything other than the heads and the dealership was over nighted a complete assembly and that bike is back on the road with out all this hassle the OP is getting from his dealer!!

VDeuce 09-12-2013 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by lonerider2 (Post 11757861)
I just read a post over on the HTT, Harley tech talk forum, from a member there that is a salesman at a MN dealer, he posted that they had a 2014 dump the coolant and Harley had them remove all the parts involved with cooling from what I read everything other than the heads and the dealership was over nighted a complete assembly and that bike is back on the road with out all this hassle the OP is getting from his dealer!!

Yep, I have heard the same thing, but either the OP is not aware of this, isn't communicating this to the dealer, or the dealer is totally incompetent. I'll vote for the latter...

Maybe they didn't get the memo. :icon_nut:

PA1195 09-12-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry1834 (Post 11757829)
For what its worth...the tech at the local HD had this problem only once. What he dose now when prepping the bike is the following.

He actually showed me. He turns the ignition on and rolls the throttle about 3/4 turn. This starts the fan and pump going. He removes the cap. He said he will do this 5 or 6 times. Hasn't had any problems with about 14 setups/sales so far.

Hope this helps but it sounds like you have something else going on. Good Luck.

This info is available via HD's tech brief on the 2014 models. That's available to dealers and employees, plus on some HD tech forums. Their servicing techs would have had to review similar info to get 2014 certified by now. Maybe it's still news to the OP's dealer and staff if they never did the procedure. I assumed they had in my earlier comments.

flhxmc 09-12-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by lonerider2 (Post 11757861)

This is the exact same thing that my local dealer said.

Mike

VDeuce 09-12-2013 02:18 PM

OP: Please Read This

OP - Please Read This

This is coming from a guy that works at a dealer that has experienced this problem and HD sent a new cooling system overnight to the dealer.

"... Anyway, i wonder if the bike that lost all of its water was the one we had in our shop last week,, 142 miles and dumped all the water,, HD sent out a new system, from lines to radiators to the pump and thermostate,, over night air,, our service manager seems to think that all that was wrong we a bad thermostate,,"