Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 6.5 boom box info

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 PM
hanny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by codpilot
Never having disassembled a fairing before is it really that easy? I can find a quick 4-6 six screws

Anything I need be careful of before taking it apart? because I'm like you - $300 to plug something in is silly!
First, put a towel over the front fender. Take off the windshield first. Then put back in the center windshield bolt. Take out all the fairing bolts. Put a towel on the floor to lay the fairing, take out the center shield bolt and be ready to unhook the wiring connector to the headlight. There are 2 small torx screws that hold the xm module in (I think they are 8 or 10 size) plug in the new one and your good to go. paul

Old 12-03-2013, 06:30 AM
reg26
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanny
First, put a towel over the front fender. Take off the windshield first. Then put back in the center windshield bolt. Take out all the fairing bolts. Put a towel on the floor to lay the fairing, take out the center shield bolt and be ready to unhook the wiring connector to the headlight. There are 2 small torx screws that hold the xm module in (I think they are 8 or 10 size) plug in the new one and your good to go. paul
Good advice. Only thing I would ad is if you have passing lamps put a pair of soft socks over em

Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Originally Posted by DocO
VERY good to know. Wonder if there's one on the 4.3 radio.. I've heard a few gripes about not having the line in any longer. What does this port look like?
There is NO Auxiliary Input on the new radio's 4.5 or 6.5. What looks like an Aux Jack on the rear of the radio is a Digital Input for the thumb drive. The USB connector behind the right access door on the right of the radio is where the USB connector is. Put music on the thumb drive, plug the drive in and ride away.

I wish there was an AUX Input on the new radio but Harley in their $$$ mind decided to make the radio so that you have to deal with Harley to do any thing.

Forget about a Bluetooth helmet it will not sync to the radio (all in the way you program). Harley took the least expensive bid when it came to the radio system. Which explains the GPS problems, Harmon never built a GPS in its life so it is going to be full of bugs.

The 14's are a nice looking bike with lots of great things but the radio, clutch, puking radiators are things you should not have to put up with on a top of the line Harley.

My 2 cents and I wish I had not forked over $28K for my Limited I have had every problem you have heard of plus a few more. Ask Harley about some of them and all they say is "They All Do That" I call BS.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 AM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bissjim
There is NO Auxiliary Input on the new radio's 4.5 or 6.5. What looks like an Aux Jack on the rear of the radio is a Digital Input for the thumb drive. The USB connector behind the right access door on the right of the radio is where the USB connector is. Put music on the thumb drive, plug the drive in and ride away.

I wish there was an AUX Input on the new radio but Harley in their $$$ mind decided to make the radio so that you have to deal with Harley to do any thing.

Forget about a Bluetooth helmet it will not sync to the radio (all in the way you program). Harley took the least expensive bid when it came to the radio system. Which explains the GPS problems, Harmon never built a GPS in its life so it is going to be full of bugs.

The 14's are a nice looking bike with lots of great things but the radio, clutch, puking radiators are things you should not have to put up with on a top of the line Harley.

My 2 cents and I wish I had not forked over $28K for my Limited I have had every problem you have heard of plus a few more. Ask Harley about some of them and all they say is "They All Do That" I call BS.
Clutches are fixed, puking has a service action to fix that, both in a very fast time frame. I think they are doing a god job addressing glitches as fast as possible coming from the "they all do that" people. dealer says software fix is in works for radio too. I work on cars everyday, some costing 100k that still need updates and fixes. Mike

Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The two issues you mention specifically have already been fixed by the MoCo. 99% of the radio "issues" I've read about here are either user error or people wanting it to do something that it does not do. I got my clutch fixed (dealer even picked the bike up) in a day even though I didn't experience any issues with it. I'm going to bring the bike in this week to get the new filler neck even though I've had no leaks. The Popping on FM on my radio was because I had the CB WB and intercom on while not using them. I also think the shorter antenna may have helped. In either case, my infotainment system is working great now.

I'm glad I bought my 2014 Limited.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Clutch was fixed about 3 weeks ago, was working OK for about 5 days and now the friction zone has moved to 3/4" before the clutch handle is all the way extended. Still pukes even after they say it is fixed. Bike has been in the shop for 10 days now.

Other then all the glitches I like the bike. Happy I still have my 09 so I am not missing any road time.

Attempting to get the bike replaced using lemon law. Bike has been in the shop more then in my garage. Dealer has been very good about it, just can't get it right.

I am not very happy with this bike, think it was built on a Friday.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch was fixed about 3 weeks ago, was working OK for about 5 days and now the friction zone has moved to 3/4" before the clutch handle is all the way extended. Still pukes even after they say it is fixed. Bike has been in the shop for 10 days now.

Other then all the glitches I like the bike. Happy I still have my 09 so I am not missing any road time.

Attempting to get the bike replaced using lemon law. Bike has been in the shop more then in my garage. Dealer has been very good about it, just can't get it right.

I am not very happy with this bike, think it was built on a Friday.
Didn't know the radio had a clutch or puked.
2014 6.5 boom box info

Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmc115
Clutches are fixed, puking has a service action to fix that, both in a very fast time frame. I think they are doing a god job addressing glitches as fast as possible coming from the "they all do that" people. dealer says software fix is in works for radio too. I work on cars everyday, some costing 100k that still need updates and fixes. Mike
"A good job addressing issues?" I think not... My infotainment unit has been jacked up since Day 1 which is over 3 months ago now. All i keep hearing is a fix is in the works. I'm sick of having to go into the menu every time i want sound in my front speakers. I'm sick of North showing in what ever direction it feels like that day.... I could go on and on and on with the issues. Fine, I have issues. I'm okay withe that, but FIX IT MOCO!!!! I don't want to have to buy a new NAV to hook to my handlebars because the one I spent good $$$ on won't work properly.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 AM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo
"A good job addressing issues?" I think not... My infotainment unit has been jacked up since Day 1 which is over 3 months ago now. All i keep hearing is a fix is in the works. I'm sick of having to go into the menu every time i want sound in my front speakers. I'm sick of North showing in what ever direction it feels like that day.... I could go on and on and on with the issues. Fine, I have issues. I'm okay withe that, but FIX IT MOCO!!!! I don't want to have to buy a new NAV to hook to my handlebars because the one I spent good $$$ on won't work properly.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:34 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo

What's the issue with the front speakers? Curious, that's the first I heard of that.

Quick Reply: 2014 6.5 boom box info