Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legends Sliding TourPak installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:08 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Legends Sliding TourPak installed!

I did this actually back in August in time for the ride to the 110th in Milwaukee, but haven't had the time till now to take some pics.

When I was researching doing this there was a lot of negative posts about the cost, looks etc, but I have never done a mod to a bike that has had more impact for me personally than this one!! I ride solo about 90% of the time and I love the functionality of the TourPak in both solo and two up riding. So a detachable solo rack wasn't going to cut it for me. Plus, by the time I added up all the needed stuff it was gonna be pretty pricey too.

The Legends system comes with the sliding mechanism (which is beautifully engineered and solid. Nice show chrome too), a new rider seat & passenger pillion and a rider back rest. The install took me under 2 hrs and I was taking my time to be meticulous. A pretty simple job overall.

The TourPak has about 8 possible forward solo positions and about 5 in the two up position. It takes about 5 seconds to release the stops and slide the TourPak to whatever position you want, solo or two up. The best part is that in the farthest back two up stop, it sits over 2" further back than stock. My wife is really tall and it's great for her to have the extra room. Much more comfortable for both of us!!

But the best thing is the solo position. I had the HD adjustable back rest before this and thought it to be really, really great rider comfort. But I gotta tell ya, nothing has ever felt so comfortable as having the lumbar support AND the TourPak pad! My whole back is supported from my *** to my shoulder blades. You really have to ride it to know what I'm talking about. It really is a level of comfort on a motorcycle I never thought possible. I've tried several of the stops to dial the fit in for me perfectly.

The Legends seat isn't quite Sundowner comfort, but I use an Airhawk pad so it's a non issue. The only part of the system that could use improvement is the rider back rest/lumbar pad. You can't adjust the angle and it sits pretty straight up. I put it in a vise and bent the uprights back a bit and it's good now. They could for sure improve that part of the system.

I know the entry fee on this is pretty steep, (I got em to go $1200) but I can't think of a mod for my bike that had such an impact. I know it's not for everyone, but for me it was a slam dunk.

Here's some pics in both positions:

Last edited by dlpuette; 10-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

That's sweet, I like it! Do you have to use their seat?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 PM
joee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you could not use the stock seat with the legends sliding tourpak rack

Old 10-03-2013, 04:54 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Dramatic change in look. I knew a guy who rigged up his own, but it wasn't adjustable.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:27 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks sweet , would love one if the price came down , a bunch , dam ,just looked at there web sight , would cost me a bunch , only fit 09 and newer . won't fit my 07 , looks better all the time

Last edited by 1st 96 ultra; 10-03-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Hawgndaroad
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That sir is bad a$$!!!!
I will definitely be installing one of those on the future.
Well I gotta get back to work and save some dough!!!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 AM
dlpuette
Cruiser

Yes, you have to use thier seat and it all comes as a package. I know it's pricey, but if you total up all the stuff you need to buy to have a detachable TP, solo rack etc, you won't reach what this costs, but you won't have near the flexibility, speed, convenience etc. I look at it this way, I've spent serious money on other mods that in sum total don't approach the impact this one has had for me. It's a personal thing. Like I said in the initial post, it's not for everyone. But for my riding style and desire for comfort and convenience, its a perfect fit

I also forgot to mention the difference in handling in the solo position. Moving that TP from hanging way off the back wheel to right above it makes the whole bike feel smaller and much more maneuverable!!

Last edited by dlpuette; 10-04-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the concept. I don't like the slider rails sticking out the back when in the solo position. Disrupts the lines of the bike. But I'm **** about stuff like that.
Another set of telescoping rails would allow the whole thing to slide up under the tour pak. Of course the price would go up.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser

I was worried about the look of those rails in the solo position too before I got it. But in the flesh, it actually still looks pretty good. The chrome on the rails and nice machining make it still look good when you see it real time.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 AM
dlpuette
Cruiser

I also forgot to mention that the passenger pillion is much thinner than the stock seat. Because of this, my wife says is much, much easier for her to get on the bike. And for older folks like us, it's a big deal!!! I asked her if it was any less comfortable with less foam and she says it's actually better.

Quick Reply: Legends Sliding TourPak installed!