Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire lesson the hard way.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:14 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by tjcaron
Do people not look at the date before they post?
You must not have seen some of the tail chewings given to people who DIDN'T SEARCH for a thread on a given subject. Guys get scolded for not searching, others get scolded for searching. Looks as though you are one that scolds the "searchers". Still winter where you are?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sticking with Dunlop American Elites

I'm on my 3rd set of American Elites. Great handling in curves, wet weather, etc. and last set got me 23K miles (could easily have gone another 3-5K without concern). I know this is an old thread but so what.

Another factor is that I use Ride-On for dynamic wheel balancing, so no weights on my chrome wheels. 1 tube in front and 2 in the rear. Great stuff!

Old 04-06-2020, 01:23 PM
gaAlbany
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Updated response in MC III thread

Last edited by gaAlbany; 04-06-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Replied to the wrong thread :(
Old 04-06-2020, 02:53 PM
daves31
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I read this thread and started checking load settings. Most front ones are 500-600 and rear is 900-1000 load rating. So my bike is 800lb and I'm 200lb So thats already 1000lb. Am I thinking this correctly? Or is it split between the two tires? I'm sure theres less on the front but what load do I look for on the bike for riding 2 up most of the time?

Old 04-06-2020, 03:19 PM
skills
Tourer
Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Madness04
Back in the spring I chose to put new tires on my 04 RK. The local tire shop recommended Michelin Commander ll tires, and gave me a good price so I went with them. From day one I knew these tires made me feel a bit uneasy but couldn't really figure why. Long story short, I'm going back to the factory Dunlop tires after finding that the Michelins aren't load rated for the weight of my bagger and I was getting sidewall flex that gave me a ride like I was on ice. Now, too late, and more $$ spent for a tire lesson I've figured how to shop for the right tires. The Michelin Commander ll tires may be fine for a sport-lighter weight bike but not for a heavy touring model. BTW, I had replaced my old Metzeler 880's with the Michelin's, and the 880's gave me over 25k miles when I took them off.
Interesting finding. My bike is an electraglide but I guess it's possible that I've had good results with the Commander ll because I ride solo and I only weigh 180lb. I won't forget your opinion and in fact I'll watch a bit closer since your heads up.Thanks!

Old 04-06-2020, 03:47 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by daves31
So I read this thread and started checking load settings. Most front ones are 500-600 and rear is 900-1000 load rating. So my bike is 800lb and I'm 200lb So thats already 1000lb. Am I thinking this correctly? Or is it split between the two tires? I'm sure theres less on the front but what load do I look for on the bike for riding 2 up most of the time?
I'm not clear what you are asking. When selecting tyres for your bike most tyre brand websites will offer their recommended tyre for your bike. That will ensure you get tyres with the correct 'load rating'. Be aware that some tyre brands make similar size tyres for different applications, but with different load ratings, which is why it is wise to use the brand's website, not a tyre retailers.

Use the pressures recommended for your selected tyres for riding solo. Add a few extra psi to the rear tyre for adding a passenger and about half that extra to the front. Hope that helps!

Old 04-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

This is a thread that started back in 2013?

Maybe the load ratings were different 7 years ago?

The OE Dunlop’s have served me very well.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:12 PM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
You must not have seen some of the tail chewings given to people who DIDN'T SEARCH for a thread on a given subject. Guys get scolded for not searching, others get scolded for searching. Looks as though you are one that scolds the "searchers". Still winter where you are?
Ha! I've thought the same thing. Maybe the safest course of action is to search old threads and then look but don't touch

Originally Posted by daves31
Front/rear weight ratio addressed in this thread and according to that guy's measurements, approximately 1/4 of rider's weight is on front and 3/4 on rear. Other than when braking which momentarily changes all these figures, passenger's weight will be entirely on rear. Rack/luggage behind rear wheel would actually add a little more weight to rear than the total of gear and luggage, because it acts as a lever and unloads some weight off the front. Based on these assumptions you could come up with a rough estimate of weight on front and rear tires. Each tire will have a max recommended load at max pressure specified in product literature and imprinted on side of tire. Or you could just buy what tire manufacturer recommends for your application as they've almost certainly taken all this into account, as well as built in some safety margin on their max load spec.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
This is a thread that started back in 2013?
Put it down to the C-19 effect! Stuff is being dredged up from way back at present!

Old 04-07-2020, 09:54 AM
daves31
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting write up. So that makes the bike with me on about 624 lbs on the rear and 416 lbs front. That makes a lot more sense. But with luggage and passenger I'm about 825 lbs on the back.
So all 3 of these have the same load rating.
Commander II and III is 1019 lbs rear tire
AE is 1019 lbs rear

Quick Reply: Tire lesson the hard way.