Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with HD after 30 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:19 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've just sold my '09 EGC and plan on riding my '05 RG. The only reason that I still have the RG is that the dealer only offered $5K in trade in '09 because it had "too many miles" (42K). I can't thank that dick enough. The 05 with 95,000 miles is SO much better than the '09. The quality of the components is superior.
I think it's sad that the "new chassis" bikes are put together with components from the lowest bidder to increase profit. I get that HD needs to make money but to bet on the majority of their customers won't ride and thus not have problems is a poor marketing strategy.

Last edited by dc1450; 10-31-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1450
I've just sold my '09 EGC and plan on riding my '05 RG. The only reason that I still have the RG is that the dealer only offered $5K in trade in '09 because it had "too many miles" (42K). I can't thank that dick enough. The 05 with 95,000 miles is SO much better than the '09. The quality of the components is superior.
I think it's sad that the "new chassis" bikes are put together with components from the lowest bidder to increase profit. I get that HD needs to make money but to bet on the majority of their customers won't ride and thus not have problems is a poor marketing strategy.
I'm with ya brother. I love my 06 and it hasn't really had any issues. Even if I have to drop a thou a year on it to keep it going, that's cheaper than making payments and having 3 times the problems.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:42 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At a minimum you should have been offered a loaner. I know my local stealer gives me the pick of the litter for $25.00 a night if they need to keep it over night. I did this once when I had my dyna. Was a good way to beat on a new Ultra for 24 hours and see what I thought.
I have been on Electra Glides every since, so it worked to their benefit.
I have an 012 and when its paid for thats it. About the only way I would take a new one is if I were to "win" one somehow, otherwise I am set. As many have said, if they get all of this resolved, you will be chewin up the miles and will have forgotten all of this 2 years from now, and hopefully will have found another dealer to call home.
Best of luck, keep this updated. It helps to vent...........

Last edited by VTL nut; 10-31-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:09 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Actually, I think you've doe everything short of sending a registered letter to HD detaining your issues/complaints. I say keep up with the persistence, document everything from day-1 (incident, problem, name(s), dates, details) and later when things settle a bit - fire off the letter so it's on record as well. Definitely some issues with your bike and poor service/support. Keep us posted on your efforts and good luck w/the fight.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd say you have a bigger problem with the dealer than the bike. And you're not the first in the Vegas area to complain about sorry dealer service. A week for the clutch recall fix? Mine took about 1 hour. Sadly, the coolant issues are a known, but most dealers seem to be able to get it fixed. Dropping a customers bike is inexcusable. **** happen it's true, but the dealer should have new replacements on hand or on order and a loaner for you while your's is being fixed.

I guess the Vegas HD dealers are another reason I see no need to visit.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:29 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1450
...I second that..my 05 has been the most rock solid...dependable...no issue bike I have ever had...glad I kept it..sorry the OP has been through this nightmare...hope next season is a smooth one for him...

Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a dealer up in wyoming that i have been hearing a lot of good things about..."deluxe" chuck is his name. might want to let him take a look at it. lol

Old 10-31-2013, 05:40 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

You should not have experienced what you have gone through; with that said your 14 FLHTK is the best new Harley yet and once taken care of, will deliver great experiences. I also own a 14 FLHTK and had the coolant leak. My dealer had the bike for a week and a half and its now good, they had the clutch fixed in no time at all. Now; the bike is running great without a issue.

I would make sure everything is fixed correct, I also think they owe you something. Once you have all that sorted put it behind and just enjoy

Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
I'm with ya brother. I love my 06 and it hasn't really had any issues. Even if I have to drop a thou a year on it to keep it going, that's cheaper than making payments and having 3 times the problems.
It's ALWAYS cheaper to pay upkeep than to expense depreciation...

I've not bought a "NEW" Ranch truck in 20 years. Buy a year old and let someone else deal with any early on issues.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would refuse the bike back 100%

Quick Reply: Not happy with HD after 30 years