Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with HD after 30 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:11 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would want a new bike from the dealer......plain and simple!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:10 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

The recall and the coolant issue that I understand but dropping your bike holy crap your a motorcycle dealership and you can't properly and safely handle a customers bike well that's f@#$ed up.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Water cooling has been around for years and no other manufacturer has problems with it....leave it to MoCo to mess up something that others do flawlessly.
Yeah, I know it's due to the design that hides the plumbing, wanting to keep the air cooled look of the motor but like many issues HD has when first rolling out new (to them) technology, the buyers end being the guinea pig....and getting the shaft.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 AM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dooley
Water cooling has been around for years and no other manufacturer has problems with it....leave it to MoCo to mess up something that others do flawlessly.
Yeah, I know it's due to the design that hides the plumbing, wanting to keep the air cooled look of the motor but like many issues HD has when first rolling out new (to them) technology, the buyers end being the guinea pig....and getting the shaft.

well it appears the biggest problem with the cooling system was they where shipped with the wrong cap including mine, as soon as I took off the cap that was only holding 14psi and installed the correct 20psi cap I haven't lost a drop of coolant.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its obvious to me the HD vtwinn never wanted to be water-cooled, why else would the motor keep puking out all the water? the new water-cooled bikes are rebelling by puking up all the water.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

As far as the guy dropping your bike, that can happen anytime, so don't think that's an issue specific to the 2014's.

As for the other two recalls, I'd be upset too. Like others have said, dealer should have given you a loaner.

I'm really torn on these new 2014's, I think Harley made some great changes, but making things more complex, and adding more parts, invites more problems.

I hope Harley gives you a new bike, after all you've been through, I think you deserve it.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I discovered Harley cares nothing about customer service on the first oil change on my first sportster in 1990 (was always a Triumph rider). Dealer (Ventura Harley) striped the drain plug, charged me for helicoil and harley just said they did a proper fix. I did enjoy the bike after replacing most everything. Got the first roadking in '94. Really liked it but it blew cam bearings (and engine) at 40K. Got the first twincam '99 Roadglide and it blew the camcase at 5K and never the same even though Harley said it was all fine. I have tried to go without a Harley but I do enjoy riding them, so now I only buy used and stay away from dealers as much as I can.
Harley does actually have a nice watercooled engine I would love to see in the new roadglide...

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley has built water cooled motors for years, hello remember the Vrod.IMO where they screwed up was trying to turn an air cooled motor into a water cooled motor but have it still look air cooled.Some of the metrics build water cooled V twins that have the appearance of air cooled but they're designed from the ground up to do that.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
Harley has built water cooled motors for years, hello remember the Vrod.IMO where they screwed up was trying to turn an air cooled motor into a water cooled motor but have it still look air cooled.Some of the metrics build water cooled V twins that have the appearance of air cooled but they're designed from the ground up to do that.

Oh, you mean the Porsche designed V-Rod?
I stand corrected......

Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,467 Likes on 18,797 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
there is a dealer up in wyoming that i have been hearing a lot of good things about..."deluxe" chuck is his name. might want to let him take a look at it. lol
Woops ...

Quick Reply: Not happy with HD after 30 years