Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do you warm up the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Like most have said, fire it up to get the oil circulated while I put on my last bit of gear.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Around 2-3 minutes

Old 12-11-2013, 12:51 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let it idle a couple of minutes to ensure pressures are up, nothing's leaking, and it seems happy. Then I have a one-mile run at 20 mph to the subdivision's gate, a stop light about 300 feet from that, then a 45 mph road. When I hit that it's plenty warmed up.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

15-20 seconds is all it takes to get the oil circulating, even when it's cold, then just stay away from redline until it is at full operating temp. One minute rides everyday are going to cause some serious grief including serious carbon buildup, severely contaminated oil, with shortened engine life as a result. Whoever said "make it a promise to run for 20 minutes after starting it" is right on. That goes for us up north who just can't help ourselves from starting it up in the garage just to circulate the oil and hear it run in the winter months when we can't ride. Does more harm than good, or no good, for that matter.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by the warden
15-20 seconds is all it takes to get the oil circulating, even when it's cold, then just stay away from redline until it is at full operating temp. One minute rides everyday are going to cause some serious grief including serious carbon buildup, severely contaminated oil, with shortened engine life as a result. Whoever said "make it a promise to run for 20 minutes after starting it" is right on. That goes for us up north who just can't help ourselves from starting it up in the garage just to circulate the oil and hear it run in the winter months when we can't ride. Does more harm than good, or no good, for that matter.
If I was the OP I would seriously change my oil every 1500-2000 miles as long as you run a daily mile trip. Thats the worse thing you can do to a engine.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I do not worry about it with FI bikes that have modern oil pumps and filters. They have no carb to warm up. I take it easy for a mile as I ease out of the neighborhood and run moderately down the hill 3 miles. After that, I'm ready and so is the bike.

With my carbed bikes, I let them warm up enough so that the choke can be pushed most of the way in, then I ride slowly out of the neighborhood as it also keeps the pipe noise respectful of my neighbors, push the choke all the way in and away we go.

Growing up, warm ups had a lot more to do with the carburetor than it did with engines with oil pumps. Warm ups are important for my 40-60's bikes with engine oil slingers and no oil pump. I let them warm up fully as the oil is not under pressure as it is in modern bikes with multiweight oil and terrific additives. Single weight dino oil for air cooled vintage bikes with weak or primative oil systems needed to be warm to work its way into every crevasse.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 PM
CrazyHog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My V rod needed several minutes to stop surging and settle down, even in the summer. My new RGC sounds ready to go after 30 seconds, but on cold days (32-45 degrees), I let her warm up 2-3 minutes while I gear up like the rest.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Agreed. It's only a mile. You may want to try walking.
Try walking??? That was a joke ... right??

Old 12-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine gets to warm up until the cold start rpms drop from 1250 to around 1000 or so. By that time a couple of minutes have passed, the heads are getting pretty warm and I have confidence that the engine is limbered-up and lubed-up enough to get underway. Now none of that may make much if any mechanical sense at all, but it sure makes me feel better!! Besides...what's the hurry anyway?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwages
I didn't but a bike to walk by it every morning. I don't want to walk bc then my 1 minute commute turns into 20. Plus after running 3 miles then a 45 minutes CrossFit workout, I would rather go back to bed than walk 20 minutes.
It doesn't matter whether you walk 3 miles or run 3 miles, the health benefits are the same. Quit doing the run, just do the crossfit and then walk to and from work, take the long way home so you get your 3 miles. It all works out the same.

Quick Reply: How long do you warm up the bike?