Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Shaft Seal - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,986 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Originally Posted by AceNightCreeper
In the pictures in this thread, next to the shifter shaft seal is a Torx bolt. Mine is leaking tranny fluid from. I just had the primary seals replaced, had the whole primary off because I was told that the leak was from the primary, i got the bike home and immediately saw it was leaking again, checked around and saw a little pool of oil on that u shaped lip underneath the torx bolt. I called my indy and he said, well...that wasnt leaking so he is not gonna help me out, i went to 3 hd dealers who said they have never seen that leak, ever, and i went to another indy who said the same thing.

Couple things, has anyone ever seen this? What is the name of the piece, the HD dealers kept saying shifter Pawl, but my indy says that the pawl stopped being used pre 2002, I have a 2005 road king with 10k miles. Indy says primary needs to come off, does anyone not agree with this? is there a 90 degree torx? would not like to spend another 300 to get the primary off. Please help
Just above that is the tranny top cover. Pull that off and have a look see. Are you sure it is coming from that bolt and not somewhere else leaking down?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:36 PM
AceNightCreeper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im completely positive its coming from the bolt, nothing is moist above it, it just pools up in that u shaped crevice, and when i put the kickstand down, it trickles down to the jackshaft seal and pools up there and then drops, which is why initially it was diagnosed needing to primary seals replaced, you can physically see a seepage of oil coming out when the bike heats up. 3 Hd dealers in anthem, mesa, and cave creek az have said they have never seen that leak, but it is leaking...they couldnt even describe the correct name of the piece, and in the books, its saying its a centering pin, but i have found nothing about them.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:43 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,986 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Well pull the tranny top cover and if you can see anything down inside it might give you a clue. If not, you might have to pull the tranny side door and gear set out to see. Pulling the primary off is only going to get you to the back side of that bolt. Hopefully it's not a cracked case.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 PM
AceNightCreeper
3rd Gear

Worst case scenario it is a cracked case, what kinda cost am I looking at? Also, does anyone here know what function that bolt does? Why is it there, what is it doing? I had one thought and that was to buy a torx set, break off one of the heads, stick it in a box wrench, wrap it with duct tape, stick it down in there try to back it out....but i dont want to do that not knowing what it is or does...i thought maybe if i could back it out, could put teflon tape around and torque it back down...Its just a scary thing to go to a dealership and say they have never seen something, you dont like to be the first.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:00 AM
AceNightCreeper
3rd Gear

Im pretty positive its not a cracked case, i think my worst case scenario is to pay to pull the primary off, and buy that new piece and have it installed...I think a possibility is when i bought the bike the motormounts were very loose, and the bolt backed itself out slightly. I just wish someone had info about what that piece does, why it exists...thats the most annoying part of this. I could drive the bike and every month put new tranny gear lube in and just say to hell with it...

Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

try to find an exploded view of that area of the motor. you might be able to remove the bolt, use some brake parts cleaner to clean the threads in the tapped hole and threads on the torx screw, and then use some permatex #2 thread sealer and torque to spec. i wouldn't do it before finding out what that torx bolt actually does though. good luck.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AceNightCreeper
I just wish someone had info about what that piece does, why it exists...thats the most annoying part of this. I could drive the bike and every month put new tranny gear lube in and just say to hell with it...
Depending on how much it's leaking & how much the leak bothers you, that might be the best solution. My '07 parts manual shows that to be "CENTERING SCREW, shift lever" part #35082-07. It appears to either "center" or "hold" one of two springs inside the gear box. Dawg's advice to pull the cover & take a look before you do anything else is good advice. Just backin' it out from the outside might move, or turn loose a spring in the gear box.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Skygoose
Advanced

Good thread, doch4m! I'm about to do the shifter shaft seal r+r myself on my 04 EG. Any special tools needed to get the primary off and on? How about other parts needed like new gaskets and so on. Love this forum...so much to learn from others. Pix are a huge help.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doch4m
rmc,

Don't have the part # in front of me, but I'll look it up tomorrow. I just called them and ordered it direct. Their number is 440-354-0777. The guy I spoke to was very helpful, and looked it up for me. I never could find it on their website or in the catalogue they sent me.

Just a note, the seal is $2. But they charged me $7 for shipping. I called them right away, and had to get to a manager and said this ain't right, the thing is smaller than a quarter! After a friendly discussion, they made it right and agreed to refund some money to my CC. Make sure to specify that you want it shipped in a padded envelope/inexpensive shipping.

I'll put the part # up tomorrow.

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but did anyone find the correct Cometic shifter seal part number?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Jday53
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah any one?

Quick Reply: Shifter Shaft Seal - Need Help