Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going Shark!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM
blackeg84
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck on the project. I can't wait to see the end result. Last week I was wondering what it would take to convert mine as I wanted one last year but couldn't pass up the deal I got on my EG

Old 02-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Proaction14
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I'll be watching this one Q! Good luck with everything, and it looks like you're off to an awesome start.
Wait, Redbeard didn't you do this too? I think you were one of the guys I was talking about.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Proaction14
Wait, Redbeard didn't you do this too? I think you were one of the guys I was talking about.

Yep, I did this one last winter. Converted a CVO SG to a CVO RGC; to date, it's the best money/mod I've spent. I had a pretty good sized thread about it at the time, and the pics should still be up.

The Q is working from the parts list I put together, so hopefully there's no big gotchas. Biggest differences are the variation between <09 and >09 frames. Pretty much everything should carry over, but the real world test will be fun to watch unfold.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking good as it is coming along. Sharks with HogPro wheels are what I like. I have never owned a batwing but have had 2 sharks. Why do you need the extra pieces for teh mono tube kit? Are you funning it lowered and raising it back up or something or does it have to do with how the fork attaches to the top tree?

Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Looking good as it is coming along. Sharks with HogPro wheels are what I like. I have never owned a batwing but have had 2 sharks. Why do you need the extra pieces for teh mono tube kit? Are you funning it lowered and raising it back up or something or does it have to do with how the fork attaches to the top tree?
The pieces for the monotubes extend the tubes 2". If you're running any spring setup, CCE supplies two 2" pieces of PVC and different fork caps. The top of the monotube's have a smaller, yet similar cap on them already. The CCE kit comes with 2" longer fork tubes so that the tubes go up into the clamp. When you take the monotubes out of the old fork tubes, you remove the cap that is screwed onto the top of the monotube and screw the new loner caps on. I guess this sets the monotubes back at the correct height in the fork tubes.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:08 PM
The Q
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Yep, I did this one last winter. Converted a CVO SG to a CVO RGC; to date, it's the best money/mod I've spent. I had a pretty good sized thread about it at the time, and the pics should still be up.

The Q is working from the parts list I put together, so hopefully there's no big gotchas. Biggest differences are the variation between <09 and >09 frames. Pretty much everything should carry over, but the real world test will be fun to watch unfold.
Redbeard is the man! The list was great. I went for Harley painted parts since I have a single color (Black Pearl) bike with no pin stripes. The only things I substituted on the list were the inner and outer fairings for Harley painted parts, I bought the Daymakers instead of getting all the stock lighting stuff and of course I bought the '08 specific fairing interconnect harness. I bought everything through Ronnie's HD online. Ronnie's did a great job too. The shipped me all the hardware parts, then when the inner and outer painted fairings came in from Harley, they shipped them. The painted parts are scheduled to arrive at my door Monday (03/03/14). Not bad considering i ordered everything the first of February.

For those contemplating the conversion, the biggest change made to the Road Glide fairing mount stuff was in 2010, when they redesigned the fairing mount to allow for lower fairing on the highway bar. So basically, if you want to ever run lowers on the highway bar you need 2010 up Road Glide fairing mounts.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I never was a fan of an RG until I saw my friends ride. He put a 23" wheel, raked it out and put a custom fender. Good looking bike. Can't wait to how this project turns out...

Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been considering converting to the RG fairing as well. Will be watching. Keep us posted.

Now to find redbeards build thread!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:36 AM
The Q
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stew Pidaso
I've been considering converting to the RG fairing as well. Will be watching. Keep us posted.

Now to find redbeards build thread!
I'll save everyone the trouble. Here is Readbeard's inspiring conversion thread.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:39 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

Looking good, always love watching the transformation of something to something else!

Side note: you CAN use lowers on pre 2010 Road Glide. You just have to use non vented lowers that were made a stock item for the Road Glide like I have on my scoot.
As always, once I got my lowers installed, they changed the Road Glide fairing mounts to allow the vented lower fairing to fit!

"You will love hanging out in the tank and after awhile you'll wonder why it took so long to jump in."

Sharks are on top of the food chain for a reason!

YB

Quick Reply: Going Shark!!!