Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Cylinder Shutting Down

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:45 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default One Cylinder Shutting Down

I guess I'm probably looking at a trip to the dealer since I don't know of an Indy anywhere around this one horse town I live in. And this could probably be put in a better forum but I am having trouble with a tourer. One cylinder shuts down when it gets warm. Was out riding Friday and was about 80 miles from home when the bike stumbled and then started running on only one cylinder. I turned around and headed home. Went back in third gear wide open and could barely make it up some hills. The engine displayed all the way.

I remembered I bookmarked a thread about codes so followed that to display them once home. I can't tell which code is current without clearing them and don't want to do that so the dealer has everything about what has happened.. But here are the codes. P0131 which my list says in front O2 low or lean. P0151 which is rear O2 low or lean. And P1351 is front ignition open/low EFI. It says that PN 34455-07B is the module displayed. I think that's the Stage 1 download but not sure.

So is there something simple I can try or is this a get it to the doctor thing? Appreciate any help. It will be Tuesday before the dealer is back to work.

Oh, this is a 2007 Electra Glide Ultra Classic.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:59 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are they Harley plugs and wires, have you been in that area lately? Have a look for a bad plug wire could also be a coil.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Seems like a fuel issue. Maybe the injector needs cleaning or the connector is loose or needs cleaning. Dump some injector cleaner in and see what happens.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 PM
tri cycle
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a similar problem on my '88 FLST. Sharp edges from a wire braid I had installed pierced the adjacent insulation of electrical wiring going ultimately to the plugs. So even if you haven't been in there recently, did you change anything?

Old 04-13-2014, 10:45 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a thought, but did you pull the plugs to see if one was fouled? Had that happen to me years ago. Ran like crap until it got figured out.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKPRLFLHTCU
Are they Harley plugs and wires, have you been in that area lately? Have a look for a bad plug wire could also be a coil.
I'm at least the second owner so not sure if they are original and Harley or not. Have never been in there.
Originally Posted by Bingee
Seems like a fuel issue. Maybe the injector needs cleaning or the connector is loose or needs cleaning. Dump some injector cleaner in and see what happens.
Don't really see how it could be fuel since it limped home 85 miles and after it cools down it runs fine until it gets warm again.
Originally Posted by tri cycle
Had a similar problem on my '88 FLST. Sharp edges from a wire braid I had installed pierced the adjacent insulation of electrical wiring going ultimately to the plugs. So even if you haven't been in there recently, did you change anything?
Have never been in there but did notice that the rear plug wire has been riding right on top of the rear cylinder. Plug wires I'm familiar with have "some" stiffness. These are very very limber. A guy at a American Legion Riders meeting yesterday said they are now made with silicon. Have no idea what that means except maybe being limber is how they are now. But could it mean the silicon is fried from sitting on top of that rear cylinder? Then why would it work cooled down?
Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Just a thought, but did you pull the plugs to see if one was fouled? Had that happen to me years ago. Ran like crap until it got figured out.
Did look at plugs. Rear one just looked like it wasn't used, not fouled. Switched them anyway. Made no difference. Ran for a while then shut down. I really want to suspect the rear plug wire. But as suggested earlier, could be coil. Is there a coil for each cylinder? That's the only way I can think that it could be coil since it continues to run on one cylinder. If there is two then I can see it. Then I can see how heat effects it too.

So what do you guys think now? Plug wire or a second coil? Or both? Or take it to the Harley doctor? I've never lifted the tank so have no idea if I can even get the tank up far enough to get to the plug wires.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

There is a safety on the newer bikes. You can set it up to have one cylinder shut down when engin starts to overheat. Look in the manual it's in there. I did it last yr but haven't shut down yet. When it shuts down there is an icon on the speedo that lights up.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 AM
bcp07sg
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar problem with my 07 SG . Threw a bunch of parts at it (coil,wires,plugs,CPS,intake seals,etc.) ended up being a broken injector wire. The insulation was holding it together, so it would make the connection intermittently. Break was right at the connector. Turns out HD tie wrapped the wire harness too tightly stressing the wire.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you eliminated the chance of a bad plug so I go with BLKPRLFLHTCU bad coil or plug wire typical that it fails when hot.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:51 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Chances are you have an injector (or some other) wire that's rubbed through and grounding somewhere.

Quick Reply: One Cylinder Shutting Down