Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery voltage question (again)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery voltage question (again)

Last time I posted a question most of the respondents went off in a tangent and nobody really answer my question. Let's try it again.The question is:

When I am actuating the throttle (giving it gas) the Voltage gauge on the fairing shows 14V but when I let go the throttle it drops to about 12.7 V. I put a volt meter on the battery and the battery shows the same voltage as the gauge on the fairing. So is this normal?

I am worried it may be the regulator starting to go. The dealer says it is but I do not trust them 100%. BTW, I did put a new battery and it does the same thing

Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ever ask what the voltage out put is at a given rpm? What does it do while your riding it. Maybe you should take it to another dealer or an indy and ask them. Then you can avoid stupid answers to easy questions. I mean if you don't trust one ask another

Old 06-02-2014, 10:54 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,321 Likes on 8,411 Posts

I doubt seriously if there is anything wrong with your electrical system at all. Your battery is still above 12 volts during idle, and you already said it charges when you apply throttle. This implies that the voltage regulator is working as well. Turn off the engine and everything else electrical which could draw any appreciable current and read the battery voltage then. Do the same thing after the bike sits overnight. If the voltage is above 12 volts, then you can be assured that nothing is wrong.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c50plus
Last time I posted a question most of the respondents went off in a tangent and nobody really answer my question. Let's try it again.The question is:

When I am actuating the throttle (giving it gas) the Voltage gauge on the fairing shows 14V but when I let go the throttle it drops to about 12.7 V. I put a volt meter on the battery and the battery shows the same voltage as the gauge on the fairing. So is this normal?

I am worried it may be the regulator starting to go. The dealer says it is but I do not trust them 100%. BTW, I did put a new battery and it does the same thing
Perfectly normal. The only time you need to worry is when it drops below 12 volts. Ever wonder why most motorcycle electrical products have a power output rating based on 12.7 to 14 volts? Thats the reason why. Just ride and enjoy.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Perfectly normal. The only time you need to worry is when it drops below 12 volts. Ever wonder why most motorcycle electrical products have a power output rating based on 12.7 to 14 volts? Thats the reason why. Just ride and enjoy.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far.However, why is it that several people I know who have the same bike do not see what I see? Their battery gauge is always at 14 V

Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine is the same. That is normal. The voltage is higher when you are riding as the engine is turning and creating more volts.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far.However, why is it that several people I know who have the same bike do not see what I see? Their battery gauge is always at 14 V
You must first check the voltage at the battery. These are inexpensive low quality Volt meters. They may indicate higher or conversely lower than what Voltage actually is.

Not all VR's react the same. VR's convert AC Voltage to DC to regulate the current/voltage coming from the Alternator to the electrical system. This also regulates the Voltage to the battery. The AC voltage/current generated increases or decreases with RPM. In your case Voltage is regulated at 14V. Some regulators are sensitive enough to hold voltage at or below regulated Voltage even when RPM's are at idle. As long as the voltage doesn't go below 12V when at idle (Battery would be discharging) and stays below 15V (H-D Specs) you have nothing to worry about.

If money wasn't an issue a VRs would be designed to hold the Voltage at a constant Voltage at any RPM. The Voltage going to your VR is as high as 60VAC depending on once again RPM. The VR rectifies the voltage to DC and reduces the output to in your case 14V

Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

14 volts...all the time

Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In fact, a nice charged battery will read 13 volts for a day or 2

Quick Reply: Battery voltage question (again)