Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dad hit a dear this morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

hope you dad heals soon and easily. Keep riding if you like. If you let fear stop you from doing stuff where does it end? Bet your dad continues to ride.
Ferd

Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,257 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by juststrokeit383
This morning I grabbed my fob and strapped my boots on kissed her and told her I'll see her in a little bit and I loved her. Just like every morning! She then looked at me and grabbed my hand with the fob in it and said "please just drive the truck."

So I didn't feel like arguing so I did as she asked out if respect.
Been there, done that. Don't disagree with your choice.

The only thing I'd suggest is that you pipe up, soon, saying "we need to talk about this".

My wife doesn't ride, and in some ways I'm relieved. I'm not a big believer in bad juju, but if it's real, she's got it when it comes to motorcycles. Second time she ever rode a bike, we got rear ended. She takes the motorcycle safety course and crashes one of their bikes into a parked car. Son's out riding on his bike, she comes out and he promptly upshifts at full throttle and wheelies into the fence. She comes over to the club where he's been riding for several days now, within minutes there's a crash.

I'm lucky, she does respect my being a biker. Always knew that about me, since I was one from the time we met. As long as I keep a good life insurance policy, I'm golden. She's also pretty durn blunt about the times after the TBI when I shouldn't ride/drive/etc and I'm not realizing it, or am being stupid and stubborn.

Anyhow, you two have to sit down and discuss this. Maybe not tonight, and probably not just once. But fairly soon, and as many times as are necessary.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 PM
wpdjoey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your dads ok and will heal up wife and I got hit by a cager last year she broke multiple ribs and her neck in 2 places they say shes very lucky her break locdtion usually causes a quadriplegic situation shes still hurting and says she will never ride again I was beat up but nothing too bad bike totaled . My don who was riding behind us dold his bike shortly after while his mom was still in the hospital, as soon as I could a few months later bought a new 14 street glide my son took another 6 months but bought another bike as well we still ride together I fo miss my favorite passenger but understand why she wont ride any longer

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I would make a sign thanking those who didn't stop and stick it at the location of the wreck. What kind of jerk doesn't stop and give aid???

Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sectime
I would make a sign thanking those who didn't stop and stick it at the location of the wreck. What kind of jerk doesn't stop and give aid???
I totally agree,what has our society became,can't stop and help a accident victim.PITIFUL.My regards to your father and family.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 AM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
A buddy was killed back in the 80's when he hit a deer.
Ridin' at night, something else to avoid if you can.
Early morning hours are not so good either as the deer are still on the move but are starting to settle down.

I think that there should be an endless hunting season on these critters myself with no limit.
Yep. Whitetail rats!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 AM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess its a normal reaction after an accident. but way to early to be making those kind of decisions.. way to many emotions going on to make a rational decision... glad to hear he is ok and going to make a full recovery...
I had a accident in February this year, no broken bones, but got a good concussion, took an ambulance ride to the local trauma center. had all the gear on, no road rash, just some bruising... Funny it was only my wife and kids that didn't think i should quit riding. friends and co-workers couldn't believe my wife would let me keep riding. did end up trading my Fat Bob for the Limited. Did a 4000 mile trip this summer, and even did a 400 mile ride with my 18 year old daughter who wanted to do one last ride before she left for the Air Force this month, all after the accident...
emotions will cool after a few days, give it a little time... we all take risks every day, just by getting out of bed... do your best to manage those risks while still doing the things you enjoy, you only live once...

Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Mister Breeze
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sectime
Gotta agree.....
In my case a nice young man stopped as I had crawled off the road and laid next to my bike and the now dead deer still wedged between the forks and frame.

I was calling off work, while he called 911. It was 0430, dark, and a back road. He was late for work but stayed with me even after the ambulance got there. A lonnnnnnng half hour. He even waited until they loaded me up.

Good kid....there are still good people out there. It took me a month to track him down. Mailed him a gift card. Least I could do. He missed two hours of work over a complete stranger.

Last edited by Mister Breeze; 07-25-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 PM
lefty squeeker
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your dad will recover! I'm on week three of recovery for a hip fracture as a result of an 18yo starting to turn left violating my right of way and then stopping blocking my lane. I think he did this when I was about 50ft in front of him. Brakes and evasive manoeuvering didn't keep me from striking his pick up behind the rear tire. His first words to the many witnesses and the responding LEO were "I didn't see him"... well duh!
I'll heal, the RG is totaled. Soon as I'm able I plan on riding another one of our bikes!
As far as the choice to ride again, for me its easy, I'm getting back on! People die in cars everyday but no one says you should stop driving because of that fact.
Maybe he'll ride again, maybe not. His choice. If you love it you get back on!
Good luck!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM
lefty squeeker
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for the double lost, forgot to add pic of bike

Attached Thumbnails My dad hit a dear this morning-photo.jpg  

Quick Reply: My dad hit a dear this morning