Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Shocks: 12" vs. 13"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:35 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Touring Shocks: 12" vs. 13"

I have 12" on my Street Glide, thinking about swapping for 13".

Please discuss the pros/cons of each.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 PM
soberjoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with Progressive 944. You can have it both ways.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soberjoe
Go with Progressive 944. You can have it both ways.
Should have mentioned I presently have 12" Bitubos.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
I have 12" on my Street Glide, thinking about swapping for 13".

Please discuss the pros/cons of each.

Thanks
I changed out the OEM 13" rear shocks on my Ultra to the OEM (Street Glide) 12" rear shocks, the opposite direction you want to go. I needed to drop the height of the seat and this is an easy way to do it. I absolutely knew going around the first block that I sacrificed some smoothness or ride quality. In your case, I would say you'll pick up a better ride and a little more ground clearance, but maybe at the expense of losing a more aggressive riding style through the canyons.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 07-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:11 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I changed out the OEM 13" rear shocks on my Ultra to the OEM (Street Glide) 12" rear shocks, the opposite direction you want to go. I needed to drop the height of the seat and this is an easy way to do it. I absolutely knew going around the first block that I sacrificed some smoothness or ride quality. In your case, I would say you'll pick up a better ride and a little more ground clearance, but maybe at the expense of losing a more aggressive riding style through the canyons.
I thought going from 12" to 13" not only gives a better ride, but allows you to corner more aggressively, due to the increase in ground clearance.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
FLSTFI Dave (02-08-2021)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Trouble with these discussions is that the stock shock are not all that great no matter the length.

Lower shocks have slightly less carrying capacity, and will bottom out more when carrying heavy loads. They give a cool, lowered look, and make it easier to be flat footed. Lower to the road makes for more nimble handling but reduce lean angle a bit.

Taller shocks can give a slightly better ride, but due to the similar shock construction will not be felt much, if at all. They will handle tour pak weight better, and compensate for the sag from riding double.

To truly get better handling or smoother ride, upgrading to a better shock is really the only answer.

It is nice that these 12 and 13" air shocks only cost about $100 used. Easy and inexpensive to try out one vs. the other. Keep the one you like best, and sell the other to get your $ back.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I went to 13.25" shocks. The 12" shocks were too short and had me scraping everywhere and the 2" of travel was inadequate. Now with over 4" of travel and sitting higher in the turns I have, for me, the best set up for this bike. 13" would be the minimum length that I would consider. I am aware that the Bitubos are a quality unit , I am only trying to discuss shock length, wheel travel and ride height not shock brand.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I swapped the stock 12" shocks on my Road Glide twice. First I got Works Performance 12.5" shocks which were a great improvement but i was still scraping my lower head pipe heat shield.

Then I got a set of the Harley "Premium Ride" 13" shocks. My goal was more ground clearance and I have found that if I hit a bump mid corner I can still scrape my lower head pipe heat shield, but it happens much less often with these shocks.

The works were a better shock but i can;t blow a fortune on suspension right now. If I had my way I'd get some $1000 shocks but it's not in teh cards right now.

Regardless, a taller shock will give you more ground clearance if that is what you are looking for. A longer shock has a longer stroke which in turn will absorb inconsistencies in the road much better as well.

I see someone mentioned 944"'s. I'd get something like that if they would sit at the 13" height but having them sit lower is useless to me. We installed a few sets on customers bikes recently and they were both very happy. I sat on one of the bikes once they were on to see how low it was and they do indeed measure 13" before install and sit at 12" once installed on the bike.

You are in the minority here with me but taller shocks will always handle better. Most guys I talk to want to lower their bikes. Me, I want to jack it up.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

straight road touring, the 13s are pretty good but they seem to float a little which some folks like that have that princess with a pea under the mattress kinda of expectation for a motorcycle.
riding around the smokey and blue ridge mountains is a little different part because some of the roads have a slight dip or bump before a curve that cause the taller shock to rebound as you are riding through the curve and I really dont like this.
I use the shorter 12 which is a little harsh but steady when riding the mountain roads and curves.
there is one bridge in a curve in particular that I watch ultra's and limited's with stock shocks waller through bounding up and down and using the whole lane and sometimes both that folks with 12" shocks dont have to worry with.
some times picking a line and riding your own ride is complicated by having to settle a bucking bronco down in the twisties but once they're back home with boring straight traffic its all about a cadillac ride from a motorcycle.
cracks me up that some folks will hit man hole covers and pot holes and complain about the shocks or you could dodge them and ride with what came on the bike.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:42 PM
Estebanp551
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
I thought going from 12" to 13" not only gives a better ride, but allows you to corner more aggressively, due to the increase in ground clearance.

Thanks
yes it does, I don't know what us this other dude talking about,, the more ground clearance you have rear and front the better handle the bike, is physics

Quick Reply: Touring Shocks: 12" vs. 13"