Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man this 96 puts out some HEAT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 PM
rhinoevans
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Man this 96 puts out some HEAT!

I don't see how installing a piece of plastic, that will only absorb the heat, be that much closer to the leg, and just re-transmit the heat??????

Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Radical
Tourer

They act as an air dam moving the heat away from your legs and thighs. These work and they are not expensive.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:46 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this just a problem with certain models. I live where 115* to over a 120* is the norm during the summer and although I noticed the heat, it wasn't that bad. And my pipes are blue.

Maybe I haven't sat in traffic long enough?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:18 AM
IamZardoz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, we had flurries in DALLAS today so a little heat would be welcomed.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:43 AM
DaleG
Advanced

I put V&H ovals and a AN big sucker on my 07 street glide. I bought a SERT and did the basic stage 1 download. It run great. The back header pipe nolonger glows. However, I have to say that even when the bike was stock it did not run too hot while the temperature is in the 70s. When it gets up in the 90's, that may be another story.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:54 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

ORIGINAL: Dave_E
If it were that critical, Harley wouldn't have sold it that way. It won't fail,
Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but with continued lean conditions? Who knows. These engines should be running around 14:1 not 17:1 air/fuel ratio.
And just because Harley sold it that way, it's not critical?
Validate that A/F ratio with proof please.....

The base map is at 14.6, bone stock......, 11.5 at WOT......

I have dyno'd enough of the 88's and 96's to see it first hand.....

Old 04-08-2007, 04:47 AM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but with continued lean conditions? Who knows. These engines should be running around 14:1 not 17:1 air/fuel ratio.
Validate that A/F ratio with proof please.....

The base map is at 14.6, bone stock......, 11.5 at WOT......

I have dyno'd enough of the 88's and 96's to see it first hand.....
Stoich (ideal) is 14.7:1
Sorry, when I said "about" 14:1. I have a hard time believing '07's are at the "ideal" F/A ratio at stock settings.

A couple of references regarding best fuel/air:

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/dyno_tuning.asp

The simplest way to look at the internal combustion engine and understand what is done to increase performance is to see it as an air pump. The more air it is capable of pumping at any given time, the more power it will make (expressed as Volumetric Efficiency or VE). To get the most energy out of that air relies on accurate metering of fuel to that air (expressed as stichomythic, an AFR of 14.7:1 is the theoretical ratio that results in the greatest release of available energy in gasoline). Real world inefficiencies result in an air/fuel ratio (AFR) of 12.8:1 to 13.3:1, for best power and 14.5:1, for best mileage.

also, re:Stoich, see:
http://www.cobrausa-hd.com/index.cfm...&artID=109

also, from: http://www.coolclimbing.com/2007harl...roadking05.htm

I do all of my own maint and when I did the 1000 mile scheduled service the spark plugs were just scarey. It looked like the engine was running terribly lean (not a good thing huh) Talking to the mechanic at the shop he said Harley had to lean the bike down to a 17to1 fuel/air ratio to pass emissions. Normally I would want this at about 14to1.

Now, I'm no mechanic. Not even close. I was just going by what I've read elsewhere and passing that along as it pertained to the subject. If my numbers are off, ok. The point is, the '07's run lean out of the crate, and the engines will suffer if not corrected. And to say it's ok because Harley "sold it that way", as the post infers, is justpoor logic.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious where you get you 17:1 figures from. I was under the impression that off the shop floor the 07's run about 14.6:1 or thereabouts. At 17:1 I would have expected the pistons to hole pretty dam quick.

I stand to be corrected but I think that for max fuel economy about 14.5:1 is on the button, and max power is around 12.8:1 to 13.3:1.

If I have it right and the 07's are 14.6:1 stock, it would make sense to me as achieving best economy should lead to lower emissions, which should keep the EPA happy.

Not argueing with you, just checking that my info is correct.

Paul

Old 04-08-2007, 09:27 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my bike in for service and handlebar installation. Since they had ordered the wrong wire extension kit I had to have a ride home (about a 2 hour trip). The had a kid who worked there drive me and we had a long time for conversation. I found out a lot about the shop and the service guys on the ride to my house as he was pretty talkative. Anyway he did say they dynoed a new 07 just to see what the A/F mixture was as they wanted to see how lean the new ones were running. He told me 17.1 which he agreed was too lean. Didn't take long for me to decide. I'm putting a SERT, V&H Ovals, and K&N on. The SERT was on back order and is supposed to be here by the end of the month.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 AM
thebiker46
Advanced

Does a stage 1 download from the dealer change the air/fuel ratio to where it runs cooler,or do U need a fuel management system?

Quick Reply: Man this 96 puts out some HEAT!