Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Is a backrest worth it? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/995627-is-a-backrest-worth-it.html)

1511 08-29-2014 11:13 PM

Is a backrest worth it?

I just rode 750 Miles in the last few days and was looking for anyone's opinion on how the backrest works out for you. I had one on my last non harley bike and used it once. It made me sit upright and it was uncomfortable. It didn't adjust at all. If you do have one how much am I looking at spending? Thanks for the help

hog95023 08-29-2014 11:17 PM

What bike do you ride? I can't ride very far without one. I rode 900 miles in a day with a Russell day long seat and backrest and was very comfortable. My brother was riding his dyna wide glide with me and all he had was a stock seat. His back was fine but his butt wasn't . Said he didn't think there was any foam in his seat when we finished for the day

1511 08-29-2014 11:25 PM

I have an 08 Electra Glide Standard. I'm happy with the stock seat so far. Was a little saddle sore by the time I made it home but my back wasn't too happy with me. I'll do a little digging on the seat you mentioned and thanks for the input.

NoCoLoco 08-29-2014 11:27 PM

It can be uncomfortable because it gives you better posture, you're not slouching. It makes a big difference on long rides!

1511 08-29-2014 11:30 PM

How adjustable is the one from harley?

KW HD 08-29-2014 11:30 PM

I love mine. Don't use it for every ride but when I do I'm glad i have it. I have the basic HD rider backrest on my sg.

Highwayman-AL 08-30-2014 12:31 AM

I have the HD adjustable backrest. I took it off for a day and put it right back on. Yes it is worth it if you ride a distance.

Price, expensive, about $300.00 for the backrest and adjustable bracket.

The back rest goes up and down, and will lean back and forward more than you will ride. Keeps your lower back slightly curved, so you rotate your pelvis in the proper angle to sit in the right posture.

If you don't have one there is a period of adoption for your body, but in the end after the muscles develop you will ride long and with less pain in the end. If you buy one, spend the money and get the adjustable one.

RedGlide12 08-30-2014 01:04 AM

I only use mine on long trips when I have some miles to get adjusted to it. Last year I rode over to Arkansas with it didnt think it made that much difference until I jumped on my buddies SG without one and I really missed it. +1 on the adjustable one, if you want it out of the way for a few miles you can just lean it all the way back out of the way. I tend to change possitions alot on long rides.

1511 08-30-2014 04:27 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely be looking into picking one up. I can see how it could take some time to get adjusted to it. The one on my old bike only moved up and down. I looked up the adjustable bracket and see it has quite a few adjustments. Thanks again

Captain Itch 08-30-2014 04:57 AM

I have a Mustang solo on my Roadking with a back rest.. Best back saver going and if you do not want to slouch I wear an old style kidney belt as well.Try out one of those wide back braces I think that you will find that it really helps...From a fella with a screwed up back.

ja57 08-30-2014 05:31 AM

Mine stays on all the time. Does my back wonders doesn't matter if it is just a short hop or a long haul. How ever what ever you do get a adjustable one and take the time to fine tune it to you.

msh134 08-30-2014 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1511 (Post 13159769)
I just rode 750 Miles in the last few days and was looking for anyone's opinion on how the backrest works out for you. I had one on my last non harley bike and used it once. It made me sit upright and it was uncomfortable. It didn't adjust at all. If you do have one how much am I looking at spending? Thanks for the help

i have adjustable from Harley and I dont know how I rode so many years without one

05UltraBob 08-30-2014 06:32 AM

In a word.....YES!

K Melancon 08-30-2014 07:04 AM

I have the adjustable, you can choose to slouch or sit straight up. I move my sitting position on the go on trips. The adjustable backrest is the best item I have ever put on my bikes and always the first item purchased.

davemc 08-30-2014 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by RedGlide12 (Post 13160000)
if you want it out of the way for a few miles you can just lean it all the way back out of the way. I tend to change possitions alot on long rides.

There must be some adjustment I am missing, because when mine is pushed all the way back, it is basically standing straight up. I wish it would go back farther. Is there a way to adjust it?

foxtrapper 08-30-2014 07:33 AM

I've had back rests, off and on, with various bikes. I'd have to say their worthwhile is the proverbial "it depends". Mostly on how you sit on the bike. If you've got your bike set up to already hold you forward, the backrest isn't going to do much of anything. On the other hand if you've bars and such that let you lean well back, and slouch, a backrest can help tremendously. Only other caviat with a backrest is their ability to basically punch you in the small of the back on potholes if your rear suspension isn't set up well.

BillinSC 08-30-2014 07:43 AM

Not only is a backrest crucial to long distance comfort but if you're gonna do a iron but or just taking off for some extended touring there are a few other things necessary...

Loose fitting/comfortable pants
Something between your butt and the seat
Seamless underwear (check out LDComfort.com or similar)

I'm no touring guru but I've done my share of ironbutt's and some occasional 500-600 mile a day road trips.

I have the adjustable HD backrest that ended up costing +$300 for everything but I can tell you having that adjustability helps on the long hauls.

As for seat covers, you need to get some degree of air moving between your butt and seat. I tried a couple inflatables and gel pads but those didn't work out for me. I ended up buying the basic pad that HD makes I guess as an alternative to a sheep skin. It's thin and fits the seat really well. You barely notice it's there and its just enough to get some air circulating between you and the seat.

RKZen 08-30-2014 07:46 AM

Kinda like comparing sitting on a padded stool with and without the back. Which is more comfy after awhile. I didn't want to get into comparing your bike's seat with a stool, but you get the idea.

My back rest stays on most of the time, and all of the time for long trips.

47Norton 08-30-2014 07:50 AM

I recently got a Corbin with drivers backrest. I love it. Plus if you fall asleep you won't roll off the back.

TheGrandPoohBah 08-30-2014 07:57 AM

HD Adjustable here also. Easy to remove, folds down to assist passenger. Make adjustments on the fly on long trips. Helps with backing up your bike.
Makes things much mo betta...

mutantsfornukes 08-30-2014 08:22 AM

I've had mine for a month or so. I haven't taken any longer trips yet, but even riding a couple of hours it really makes a difference for me.

hAkron 08-30-2014 08:46 AM

My street glide came with the HD back rest. I have it adjusted all the way back, but I feel like it pushes me too far forward. I've tried to move the bracket, but there is only one position where the seat fits the bike.

I have the sundowner seat by the way.

Whiskers 08-30-2014 08:53 AM

Mustang here....and I don't ride anywhere without it.

Geoff 08-30-2014 09:01 AM

I use a HD rider's backrest on long rides. It's definitely makes a difference in comfort when you're knocking down 500 mile days.

OldKarznBikes 08-30-2014 09:23 AM

I never leave home without it.

Beak 08-30-2014 09:39 AM

Like mine, it helps on long rides. No pain in my lower back. The only thing I will add, is I tried to use it riding two up, my wife said that she didn't like it even though it wasn't really hurting her riding position just the though of it there. So when we ride two up I take it off.

btrain77 08-30-2014 09:51 AM

Rider backrest

When I had my 2012 limited I had this setup:

WO578 bars
HD Hammock Seat
HD Adjustable backrest
HD Premium rear adjustable shocks

When I traded for my 2014 limited I removed all of the above and put them all on the new one. I wouldn't ride without them. Very comfortable. It took a few rides to dial it in but now I can go as far as I want.

Spartanden 08-30-2014 10:13 AM

second thing I bought for my bike.... wouldn't be without. makes the ride that much more enjoyable for me!

mike5380 08-30-2014 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mustang solo with a backrest here. No butt or back problems at all. You can probably pick up a cheap backrest on ebay or maybe pay $100-$200 for new. Either way, you'll not regret it.

Mike

EricD10563 08-30-2014 10:48 AM

I think so and I would get the adjustable model, I adjust mine on the fly all the time. I used to only put it on for road trips, now I never take it off.

dwoodlives 08-30-2014 11:10 AM

I finally installed the HD adjustable backrest on my Tri Glide. I really like it but initially had one problem.

The vertical adjustment on it was a sloppy fit. Wiggled all over when leaning back against it. Very annoying.

I selected the correct height for me and welded it solid. Removed the spring-loaded button and other stuff associated with that vertical adjustment.

I still have the fore-aft adjustment.

Now when leaning back it is very solid. No longer feel the pain from slouching.

DK Custom 08-30-2014 11:45 AM

A backrest with some adjustment can make a huge difference in comfort. Also, if you get one that has a little pocket on the back of it, your passenger will really thank you for it! :)

I've had one on my last 6 baggers.

Tedjay 08-30-2014 12:54 PM

HD backrest is always on my bike. It adds comfort on short and long rides by improving my posture. I went without it once and never again.

davemc 08-30-2014 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by hAkron (Post 13160581)
My street glide came with the HD back rest. I have it adjusted all the way back, but I feel like it pushes me too far forward. I've tried to move the bracket, but there is only one position where the seat fits the bike.

I have the sundowner seat by the way.

Same thing with mine -- feels too far forward even when all the way back. Also, at the lowest position the pad was still too tall for my comfort -- I wanted something against my lower back. Also, the fact that it was too tall was a big part of why it felt like it was pushing me forward.

So I modified it today. There is about 2 inches between the bottom of the pad at the lowest position and the top of the seat. I cut the steel bar at the half-way point between the bottom of the pad adjuster and the bend and overlapped the two parts. The overlap is about 2 inches, thus eliminating the excess height. Then I drilled two holes and assembled them with two 1/4 bolts. I assembled it with the top part bolted to the back side of the bottom part, thus moving it back just a little.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...a17444526d.jpg

the backrest support cut, overlapped, and bolted back together.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...c329a1abbd.jpg

On the bike at the lowest position, the backrest now supports my lower back.

The backrest feels just right now. To the OP: yes, get the adjustable backrest. It makes a big difference on longer rides.

Kirk 08-30-2014 02:51 PM

I have a Corbin Solo with backrest and passenger pillion for when my wife rides. It wasn't cheap, but I have done several 500 miles days in a row when riding from CT to Sturgis and I am very comfortable. We'll worth the money.

103 sedona orange 08-30-2014 05:29 PM

HD Adjustable works great for me.

hd_rolling 08-30-2014 07:36 PM

HD non-adjustable, if its not connected to the seat its in the saddlebag where I can get to it easily If I feel I need it. Radio up, cruise set, and leaning back into the rest with my feet kicked up on the highway pegs. Its almost like cheating!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...97b3ad07b3.jpg

1511 08-30-2014 07:47 PM

My question is when looking at the adjustable backrest from HD, I see there is a cable and latch for movement on the fly. Where does this mount to?

BillinSC 08-31-2014 06:52 AM

Under/behind the left side mid-frame wind/heat deflector. You won't even know it's there.

davemc 08-31-2014 06:53 AM

1511-- it mounts to the rear frame member by your left leg, behind the rear cylinder, where the midframe air deflector on that side would go. If you have the air deflectors, the latch is covered and out of sight.