Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud backfire BANG! on start

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:19 AM
madhunter60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

do you have compression releases? mine will do the same thing from time to time if I forget to use them.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,394 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Originally Posted by madhunter60
do you have compression releases? mine will do the same thing from time to time if I forget to use them.
Yep, automatic. Maybe they arent working? I'll have to check the tune file from FM to see if they didnt flip them off by mistake.

Last edited by Keithhu; 09-16-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Mine does it too every once in a while.
Normal.
I just grin and go on...

Old 09-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,588 Likes on 3,834 Posts

One thing I just noticed was you say you let up on the cranking first start. Never do that. One thing that does is quite often, it makes a FI Harley take longer to start. Also, the contact on the solenoid has so many spark contacts in it. If you get into a habit of that, the starter will last half as long since once it's in, there is no spark. Also, some times if you do not follow thru on the cranking and it does not get started and it kicks back, it will throw the starter out with a metal bang. That is not good for it for sure.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,394 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
One thing I just noticed was you say you let up on the cranking first start. Never do that. One thing that does is quite often, it makes a FI Harley take longer to start. Also, the contact on the solenoid has so many spark contacts in it. If you get into a habit of that, the starter will last half as long since once it's in, there is no spark. Also, some times if you do not follow thru on the cranking and it does not get started and it kicks back, it will throw the starter out with a metal bang. That is not good for it for sure.
Good advice, however - it was cranking for much longer than normal, but you say stay with it anyway? When do you bail and try again?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You really think this is normal?

It may be, but that implies that it would happen to everyone/bike at some point. I've never had this happen to me, on any of my bikes.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by inkdemon
THats happened on my bike when it sits long enough(a few day)in a hot garage. Guess the line needs to be pressurized. And when it does the second attempt I would think maybe to rich ? Just throwing straws out there. But it has never caused any issues.
Exactly what mine did twice now. I've got a Dynojet PC V on mine. It never did it before in 5 years. It is one loud backfire for sure.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

My 08 Road King does it a few times a year. It doesn't always occur after prolonged cranking, and I always get some unburned fuel vapor mist wafting out of the intake when it happens. I have wondered why it occurs also.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
My 08 Road King does it a few times a year. It doesn't always occur after prolonged cranking, and I always get some unburned fuel vapor mist wafting out of the intake when it happens. I have wondered why it occurs also.
same here.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had the backfire. I've had the compression halt the starter. Run the bike for a bit, riding spiritedly, park it for a 5-20 min window while i get something from work, take care of something at the house, and come back out to light it off and it'll rotate maybe half a turn then *clunk* i used to panic and let off the starter, but after a time or two I tried holding the starter anyway, and it would power through a second or two after I would normally let off. These starters are fairly tough. I'd crank it like a small car starter. If the bike doesn't go after 10 seconds, let off and let the starter relax for a few seconds, then rack it off and try it again. Maybe when yours shut down it injected, but hadn't quite fired yet? It's unlikely but possible i'd imagine

Quick Reply: Loud backfire BANG! on start