Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Question about trike handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:56 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts
Default Question about trike handling

Wife and I have been together for 25 years. When I started taking her on rides it was on my 65 Pan and a chopped 52. She never complained and has always been a real trooper. The ony other bikes she has been on the back of is my 88 Heritage. Tried to get her into my 84 FLH but she just wasn't comfortable on it.

Leads me to the Tri-Glide. We got to talking about comfort and she mentioned that she could get back into riding if it was a Tri-Glide. I never suggested it, she did.

I have operated bikes with sidecars but never a 3-wheeler. Sidecars have their unique push/pull accel decal handling issues as well as cornering (left and right).

Any input on the handling characteristics of the Tri-Glide?

I am Kali native but have never done the lane splitting thing (just my choice is all) so riding in the center of the road is not a problem.

Just wondering how they corner and such.

There is an '09 and a '10 at a dealership near me with low miles on each (5200/12K) that I am considering looking at. If I like what I see I will probably take the wife back and get some input from her.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

With a decent driver,trikes can go around corners like crazy so I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect. Take a test drive on one and see what you think.
2009-10 TriGlides had 32 teeth front pulleys which many riders complained about for their lazy performance. The 2011-later models have 30T pulleys which offer a significant boost.
Changing pulleys isn't a big deal and is well worth the cost,around $500 or so.

Probably your only regret will be that it took you so long to own a trike. It certainly was mine.

Last edited by Clint44; 09-06-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up Test Ride ASAP

You will never look back, if you have ridden a Hack. A trike will be no problem just like riding ATV's. Bride and I love ours don't think of going back to Two wheels anytime soon if ever. When you test ride be sure wife goes along you should take check book along most likely going to need it. welcome to the trike world a lot of great helpful people visit these pages, all are very helpful. Ride safely fearless

Old 09-06-2015, 04:43 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

After nearly 50 years on 2 wheels, and now on my 2nd Trike I can say this with all honesty, Trikes handle differently. Not better or worse, not 'gooder' or 'badder', just different. Wife took to her trike in a day or two, me about the same. If you can, drop the bucks and rent one for the day. We have no problem riding with our 2 wheel buddies or trike friends. We have 'converted' a couple who had health problems and were about to give up bikes all together.

Oh, I'm 70, she is 63. We just rode to Yellowstone and all points in between last year. Trikes make outstanding touring machines. Siggy picture shows both our trikes

Good Luck

Old 09-06-2015, 04:50 PM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

after 7 yrs riding a GW w/Hannigan Astro we went to a new 2013 HD Tri-Glide 3 yrs ago next month...trike is so much easier handling. the hack would push left on right radius turns, pull right when braking, and I hated riding across long narrow 2 lane bridges in Ky and Tn. it was fun, we loved it, but was time to size down and remain w/3 wheels. HD is not a GW in power or long day rides according to my spouse and me. but the HD Tri-Glide has been fun, nimble to handle, and just a good fit all the way around for us. in the end it will be the research and ride that will ultimately sway your decision. but I vote yes! and as Fearless stated above, I would never go back to two wheels again even if I were a solo rider..do your research, kick the the three tires, ride it solo, ride it two up...have fun!

Old 09-06-2015, 05:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

The Tri-Glides handling is outstanding. HD hit it out of the park on handling.

If you've ever ridden and ATV/4-wheeler, that is exactly how you steer them.

Even after 80,000 miles on TG's, to me, they look like they would easily tip over.

But from the first time I test rode one, I was amazed how well they handle, like a Porsche or a go-cart.

Here's a vid of Mary and I riding thru the Dragon, gives you an idea of how well they handle.

Give one a test ride, you may be surprised. btw, in stock condition they are a bit stiff suspension wise, but there are things you can do to get the ride more comfortable without sacrificing handling.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-06-2015, 06:07 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

Even after 80,000 miles on TG's, to me, they look like they would easily tip over.

But from the first time I test rode one, I was amazed how well they handle, like a Porsche or a go-cart.

Here's a vid of Mary and I riding thru the Dragon, gives you an idea of how well they handle.

DK Custom Tri-Glide on The Tail of The Dragon 2014 - YouTube

Give one a test ride, you may be surprised. btw, in stock condition they are a bit stiff suspension wise, but there are things you can do to get the ride more comfortable without sacrificing handling.
I wish more could ride a trike like you!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Kevin and the Dragon

you got that right!!!:icon_clapcl ap:Fearless

Old 09-06-2015, 08:17 PM
rwhgme
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Kevin, will you be at the reunion at Maggie Valley this week?

Old 09-07-2015, 02:29 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

DK Custom Tri-Glide on The Tail of The Dragon 2014 - YouTube

Awesome video!

I would add that when riding two up, the speed around turns is mostly limited by my wife. Where as on two wheels, leaning the bike in turns tends to push you down in the seat. The lateral force in turns on the TriGlde pushes you sideways, and my wife doesn't like to have to hold on tight on the turns.

Quick Reply: Question about trike handling