Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Air flow while riding freewheeler

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Slaw32
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air flow while riding freewheeler

The wife and I took a test ride on a freewheeler last August while attending sturgis rally . we have been riding for years , on a road King , my initial observation was the wind turbulence we felt . seemed to be much more than road King . the test ride trike did have a windshield . Wondering if anyone has their input on this . we are considering buying a freewheeler and wanting to know if this a common experience , going from Traditional motorcycle to a trike . any input will be greatly appreciated .

Old 12-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

It is a concern for some owners and potential owners. Some people enjoy all the wind in their face. Different strokes for different folks,I guess. The FW my wife and I test-rode had the optional 20" windshield on it and IMO,wind protection left an awful lot to be desired. At highway speeds of 70-75mph,it almost felt like it didn't have a windshield mounted. Possible solutions? Clearview is now offering some new windshields w/re-curve that will improve air management. JES Custom Concepts is working on fork-mount wind deflectors (Fangs) that will help a lot with the wind blast coming up from below. If I owned a FW,I would install a low-cost Memphis Shades batwing fairing with appropriate sized windshield and a pair of lower fairing wings,also low-cost. All of that would cost around $750 or less (JES fangs included) and would not only work great but look great.
http://www.memphisshades.com/harley-...atwing-fairing
http://www.memphisshades.com/wind-de...ind-deflectors
http://www.jescustomaccents.com/cate...?categoryId=34

The following users liked this post:
Terly (06-15-2016)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Worse than it was on my Ultra or Tri-Glide, less than my Dyna or Softail. It is all relative. I'm having so much fun on my Freewheeler I don't notice the wind.

All this talk about wind buffeting, side drafts, over tank air flow, fork deflectors, air dams, et. al. makes me wonder why people are buying motorcycles. For 1/2 the price of a Tri-Glide you can buy a Toyota and not have any problems with wind.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior

Dang,why do so many have such a problem with expressing an opinion? If everyone shared yours,half the bikes built today wouldn't exist.

FWIW,my wife and I both drive Toyotas,her's a Camry & mine a Tacoma crewcab,and I honestly don't care if someone doesn't like it.

Last edited by Clint44; 12-22-2015 at 08:02 PM.
WesternVet (06-08-2019)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Slaw32
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been riding since 1972 . I live in south Dakota . I know about wind . the reason I posted original question was because I'm considering buying a freewheeler . I was just asking if other trike riders would share their experiences with differences with wind turbulence between machines with 2 compared 3 wheels . on my first ride on a trike , I was surprised by the huge difference in air flow between machines . mainly looking for ways to make air flow more smoothly , if possible around stock windshield .

WesternVet (06-08-2019)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior

Have you ridden a TriGlide yet? If not,try one of those and see what you think. I live in North Texas so I know all about wind,too. Maybe not as bad as SD but it's almost always windy here.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:49 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaw32
I have been riding since 1972 . I live in south Dakota . I know about wind . the reason I posted original question was because I'm considering buying a freewheeler . I was just asking if other trike riders would share their experiences with differences with wind turbulence between machines with 2 compared 3 wheels . on my first ride on a trike , I was surprised by the huge difference in air flow between machines . mainly looking for ways to make air flow more smoothly , if possible around stock windshield .
I've had 1st hand experience with the wind in your neck of the woods, it can get nasty. Last year while heading to Hillcity traveling I90 I got hammered. I was riding my 2012 Hannigan wing, I had a gust get under my modular helmet and snap my head back and sit me straight up in my seat.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:45 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

OP asked for an opinion. I gave mine. In the 10 years I've been on this board, this is about the zillionth thread about wind, buffeting, and windshields. No matter what you do, you will get wind. Not much a windshield or wind deflectors or wind dams will do if the wind comes from the side. If you want to put a glass bubble around your motorcycle, go for it. Trading in my Dyna for the Ultra then the Tri-Glide was a mistake ON MY PART. I like the feeling of freedom not having 'stuff' in front of me. The Freewheeler gave me that back. I'm too old and infirm to do a 2 wheeler anymore, but I can ride the hell out of my Freewheeler.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:14 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I loved my dyna too. best bike hd makes. if you are really worried about wind just get a road king windshield.
I am running this one and you feel no wind at 65 MPH . At 80 I am still very comfortable. Just adjust the vent opening in the windshield and its all good.
Its is expensive yes but it does work.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...20-57400176--1

Old 01-01-2016, 02:07 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
OP asked for an opinion. I gave mine. In the 10 years I've been on this board, this is about the zillionth thread about wind, buffeting, and windshields. No matter what you do, you will get wind. Not much a windshield or wind deflectors or wind dams will do if the wind comes from the side. If you want to put a glass bubble around your motorcycle, go for it. Trading in my Dyna for the Ultra then the Tri-Glide was a mistake ON MY PART. I like the feeling of freedom not having 'stuff' in front of me. The Freewheeler gave me that back. I'm too old and infirm to do a 2 wheeler anymore, but I can ride the hell out of my Freewheeler.

I too wonder about people who are worried about being out in the elements. I thought that was why we are not in cages? Something I am wondering about that hopefully is related to the OP's first question is why buying a Tri Glide was a mistake? I got off a 2012 RG and LOVE my 2016 TG. I took it on a 1300 mile trip last month and it was a hoot! Had to chase my buddy in his cage at 80 mph which I was not that fond of but the bike didn't seem to mind one bit. What is it about the FW that is so superior to the TG from a wind or any other standpoint?

whocares (05-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Air flow while riding freewheeler