Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Rear M/C Tire on Front of Trike

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:27 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts
Default Rear M/C Tire on Front of Trike

Ok, yeah I know this has been discussed before. But, it was hard to use search to find the threads. So, for this discussion, and future reference I started a new thread with a more descriptive Title. Here’s one of the earlier threads, that didn’t address my question.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...ront-tire.html

So, I put a lot of the mileage on my TriGlide in the twisties. This tends to scrub down the center rather quickly. I’m close to needing to replace my Michelin Commander II front tire after about 10,000 miles. I’d like to get more miles, without something ugly like a car tire, and keep the great handling that I have with the CII.

I’m intrigued about the idea of running a Michelin CII rear tire (which has more rubber and deeper grooves), in the front mounted backwards. Per other threads, it is reversed because the design of the rear is supposedly optimized for acceleration forces, whereas the front is optimized for breaking forces...which are in the opposite direction. Is this theoretical, and does it really matter on a Trike?

But, by mounting a rear tire in reverse, the grooves that are there to help channel rain water away...towards the rear...would be pointed in the wrong direction. Is this a concern? For those “Front Darksiders”, have you noticed a reduction of front traction, or more of a tendency to hydroplane, in the rain?

Old 04-09-2018, 12:36 PM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I ran the rear reversed on the front of my 11, & my 14 thru all kinds of rain storms & never had a problem.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:55 PM
soonerp
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I know of several Honda trike guys that run rear tires on the front and swear by it. I believe some (double dark spiders) run car tires on the front. Check the dark side web site for more info.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Interesting...Avon makes a Trike front tire for the TriGlides. Maybe I’ll go that route.

At J&P Cycles

Last edited by TriGeezer; 04-09-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

need to follow this

Old 04-10-2018, 06:20 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

TriGeezer

I run the Avon front tire on my Triglide and am very happy with it. I had one on my 2013 Tri also. Got way better mileage than the stock Dunlop; and I think it handles better also. As a quick note, if you run the Avon, keep 40 psi in the tire, 36psi is not enough

The following users liked this post:
5wheels (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:22 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I'm running a rear tire, reversed, and have gotten over twice the miles out of it than the stock tire. Handles better, and I've had no issues in the rain.

I've heard good things about the Avon too...might be trying that next.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-10-2018, 10:31 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I'm running a rear tire, reversed, and have gotten over twice the miles out of it than the stock tire. Handles better, and I've had no issues in the rain.

I've heard good things about the Avon too...might be trying that next.
About to buy new front and rear tires for the new season. I'll most likely mount an Avon on the front too, due to the positive reviews I read. For the rear, I don't know yet for sure but I think I'll go with GoodYear Comfortred Touring.
Any advice for the rear?

Last edited by frenchbiker; 04-10-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:00 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
About to buy new front and rear tires for the new season. I'll most likely mount an Avon on the front too, due to the positive reviews I read. For the rear, I don't know yet for sure but I think I'll go with GoodYear Comfortred Touring.
Any advice for the rear?
I've only used the OEM rear tires. Almost worn out my 3rd set.

However, I am definitely planning on trying the Goodyear Comfortred tires you mentioned. Read a lot of good things about them.

The following users liked this post:
frenchbiker (04-10-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I have ran a rear tire for a sport touring bike, in reverse rotation, on the gold wing trikes I’ve owned in the past. Got very good mileage, 20,000 plus. I like the Bridgestone Battle Axe, BT-45 sport touring bias ply tire. I will try it again on the TGnwhen a new front tire is needed. Some GW trikes also run the Michelin Pilot Active rest sport touring tire on front, reversed rotation. Also Michelin recommended the reverse rotation due to water dispersing and breaking ( belt in tires )...

Quick Reply: Rear M/C Tire on Front of Trike