Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide owners sound off.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Tri Glide owners sound off.....

I love my 17 SGS, but I am NOT getting any younger. I like the feel of the suspension, as it is stiff an allows a good feel of the road, but frankly, it beats the crap out of me.... Add to that the years have not been real kind to me and my ability to keep the bike upright and stable at a stop is not what it could be. Then, the worst part is that the OL has arthritis in one of her hips and in the year I have had this bike, she has been willing to ride with me twice, for a total of about 15 miles.

I am seriously considering trading on a Tri Glide as I think the wife might be comfortable enough to ride with me, and am looking for comfort/riding impressions from others that have gone over to the dark side. Of particular concern is that it might be too hard on my painful shoulders to muscle it through the twisties.

YMMV
Lon

Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Yes, there is an adjustment. And the biggest adjustment is that you muscle itvthrough turns. To help decide if it works for you, rent one for a weekend.

Oh yeah, I hate saying this, but the Can Am Spyders are much easier to steer, and have a semi automatic transmission.

Also, the stock TriGlide suspension is much more harsh than your ‘17. I replaced the rear shocks with Progressive shocks...and it made a huge improvement.

The following users liked this post:
Teufelhunden (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Yes, there is an adjustment. And the biggest adjustment is that you muscle itvthrough turns. To help decide if it works for you, rent one for a weekend.

Oh yeah, I hate saying this, but the Can Am Spyders are much easier to steer, and have a semi automatic transmission.

Also, the stock TriGlide suspension is much more harsh than your ‘17. I replaced the rear shocks with Progressive shocks...and it made a huge improvement.
Seems odd that the TriGlide would have a suspension that is stiffer and the 2" travel Street Glide rear shocks...... And renting one is a superb suggestion.....

Lon

Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Jeff Dodson
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have mine for sale at GOE HARLEY DAVIDSON in Angleton Tx.. . It's a 2013 110 Anniversary Bronze and Vivid Black has the 1.5 in lift kit in the rear, Vance and Hines pipes, oh YEA and a brand new reverse motor, 8k miles ....$25.9k.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Dodson
I have mine for sale at GOE HARLEY DAVIDSON in Angleton Tx.. . It's a 2013 110 Anniversary Bronze and Vivid Black has the 1.5 in lift kit in the rear, Vance and Hines pipes, oh YEA and a brand new reverse motor, 8k miles ....$25.9k.
I didn’t think the TriGlide ever came with a 110.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:00 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I didn’t think the TriGlide ever came with a 110.
I think he means 110th Anniversary - as in number of years - not the engine size.

OP, yes rent one. For about 1000 miles. Takes more than a few miles to get completely comfortable with them. Once you're used to a trike, I think you'll find them easier to ride than a two wheeler. Early changes you might want to install: a rear lift kit will help with handling. Heli Bars are popular with trike owners in this area, as they reduce the steering effort. Might want floor board extensions to reduce the heat factor.

Teufelhunden (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:09 AM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

+2 on renting; also look into a conversion for you SG. A friend of mine had her '18 RG done & loves it. Hers utilizes an independent rear suspension and actually leans into the corners, which she says helps with less muscling it around. The company she chose is in Minneapolis area. But there are others out there. Just a thought I'm looking at since we're in the same boat, so to speak.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

An alternative way ahead is to add a sidecar to your current bike? Mrs T gets to ride in style, while you get an extra wheel to hold the darned thing up.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:44 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

I owned a 2016 Tri glide, you must immediately add the rear lifts, and bars, these will have a huge impact on handling and steering.

Now the sound off.
I bought mine on the way home from Sturgis, we stopped at a dealership in Tennessee my wife sat on one and we had to have it, so i traded my 14 FLHTK on the spot and we came home on the new Tri.

The other two couples with us also bought Tri glides, we left the dealership with 3 new Tri glides. I modded the chit out of it, bars, rear lifts, CB, Sirius radio, chrome lighted switches, full VH pipes and muffs, dumped some coin into my new ride.

We all did this, we tried to make these as comfortable as possible. We rode the dragon on these. Soon after i started to become depressed as i missed 2 wheels really bad, started hating to ride this thing, every day got worse and soon after i stopped riding.

After 2 months of not riding I decided to take it out on a nice day, man the depression set in really bad i fooooking hated being on this tractor, so i rode straight to the HD dealer and unloaded it, traded for what i should have bought from the beginning.

The ride home on my new bike was exhilarating, ear to ear grin and literally laughing out load by my self on the road like a nut case, I took a beating on the trade lost a lot of coin on the deal, I didn't care getting my sanity back was worth it.

As for the other two couples that bought Tri glides, one guy hasn't touched his since he bought it home, I think he has 2000 miles on it, he went out and purchased a FLHTK a week after getting home. The other guy bought one as well.

Attached Thumbnails Tri Glide owners sound off.....-img_0822.jpg   Tri Glide owners sound off.....-img_0337.jpg  
Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

The guys I ride with that are on trikes ride them because they have too. Not because they want to. If you ask any of them they would rather be on two wheels. Circumstances prevent them from operating their bikes safely as they once did. I gives them a way to enjoy doing what they loved, but its not the same. 2 Friends have a trike for riding 2 up with their wives, and a smaller Dyna and Super Glide, to ride around by themselves.
No shame riding a trike, beats watching from the side of the road, but it does take an adjustment mentally and physically.

The following 2 users liked this post by Beak:
cster8888 (05-06-2018), Teufelhunden (04-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Tri Glide owners sound off.....