Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Removing the Tri-Glide Body - Photos & Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts
Default Removing the Tri-Glide Body - Photos & Video

Before our upcoming summer trip I wanted to replace the heim joints on my panhard rod. To do this, removing the body is required.

There are only 8 bolts and some wires that need disconnecting.

Here are some photo's from yesterday-

...body sitting on some sawhorses...yeah, it's filthy, needs a good cleaning, and some wax.

Here you can see one end of the panhard rod, where the dealership sprayed some sort of lubricant that really attracted a lot of road dirt.

Panhard rod removed-

Panhard rod reinstalled with new heim joints.

The old heim joints had quite a bit of play in them, so it will be nice to ride it without that slack in them.

I also left the body off, sometime in the next few days I'll be mounting the video camera to the rear of the frame and taking some video to watch the 14" Trike Series Shocks in action while riding. Will post it up here when done.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 5 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Casper (04-12-2018), mctraveler (04-25-2018), merlin 2 (04-13-2018), Oogie Wa Wa (04-12-2018), so60 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 01:03 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Very Informative

Kevin, as usual a very good and useful post. I think the video from the rear with the suspension working will be very interesting and informative.

As you said, good time to give all that rear area a good cleaning and wax on painted stuff. It does appear that changing the Panhard bar is very easy with the body off. Do the heim joints come installed on the rod? I suppose they are easy to adjust?

Old 04-12-2018, 01:58 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by so60
Kevin, as usual a very good and useful post. I think the video from the rear with the suspension working will be very interesting and informative.

As you said, good time to give all that rear area a good cleaning and wax on painted stuff. It does appear that changing the Panhard bar is very easy with the body off. Do the heim joints come installed on the rod? I suppose they are easy to adjust?
Yeah, I think it'll be a fun video.

I used the same panhard rod, just replaced the threaded in heim joints on each end. Taking apart and putting back together is simple. The manual outlines a relatively simple method for adjusting it to the proper length, via how far the heim joints are threaded in.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

I would measure the length while still in place before changing the ends, this would get you pretty darn close. then adjust per manual. (If needed)

Old 04-12-2018, 04:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
I would measure the length while still in place before changing the ends, this would get you pretty darn close. then adjust per manual. (If needed)
Yes, we actually did do that, with a micrometer, and then re-installed and it was close to nuts-on.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:48 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks, great info.

While it's apart, if you can, please get and post a few more shots of the whole rear end at a few different angles and directions. That might be really handy for folks to be able to see before they stick their hands up in there for stuff not requiring body removal. I know I'd appreciate it, it's unusual to get those kinds of views normally. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yes, we actually did do that, with a micrometer, and then re-installed and it was close to nuts-on.

I figured you did, I was just saying it outloud for the rest of the folks.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

looks like the calipers have had a few miles on them :>)

Pic of the 8 bolts would help, I know the 4 in the bottom of the truck, I assume 2 on each fender ??

Old 04-13-2018, 12:14 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Thanks, great info.

While it's apart, if you can, please get and post a few more shots of the whole rear end at a few different angles and directions. That might be really handy for folks to be able to see before they stick their hands up in there for stuff not requiring body removal. I know I'd appreciate it, it's unusual to get those kinds of views normally. Thanks.
I'll get that done.

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
I figured you did, I was just saying it outloud for the rest of the folks.
Yeah, was going to post that pic originally...but did not, since that is not the way the manual says to do it. lol

But it definitely is a short cut in getting the adjustment done.

Originally Posted by Geary Thomas
looks like the calipers have had a few miles on them :>)

Pic of the 8 bolts would help, I know the 4 in the bottom of the truck, I assume 2 on each fender ??
I'll get that done. Gonna be pulling the axles in the next day or two and replacing the bearings. So will get those photo's too.

Appears my rambunctious riding has worn the rear wheel bearings out...they have some play in them.

I never use a pressure washer, so it's not like I blew the grease out of them.

While the bearings have not completely failed, they have enough play that I am not comfortable going on our upcoming trip without replacing them.

We'll measure the slop and post it here, once I get the axles pulled.

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
mctraveler (04-25-2018), Oogie Wa Wa (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:32 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks for showing this. Look forward to more pics from different angles.

Quick Reply: Removing the Tri-Glide Body - Photos & Video