Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Recent experience with 87 Octane Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts
Default Recent experience with 87 Octane Gas

I had a recent experience running 87 Octane in my modified 2012 TrGlide, that I’d like to share.

My 2012 TriGlide has SE255 cams, and was tuned in Oregon with the SEProSuperTuner, while running 92 Octane 10%corn gas. Consequently, it has been sensitive to gas. Typically it’s ok running 91 Octane top tier gas. But, occasionally I get some light pinging under load with lower quality gas. This is usually resolved by adding 1oz of Octane Boost (Lucas seems to work best) per gallon of gas added.

This past weekend we rode to Death Valley and back with another couple that was on a 2016 CVO. We topped off our tanks at Stove Pipe Wells, prior to the 83 mile ride via HWY 190 West to 395. Unfortunately the only gas station in Death Valley, at Stove Pipe Wells, only had 87 Octane...with 10%corn. I forgot to bring along my octane booster, and ended up buying the last bottle of STP booster that they had. I added 4.2 gallons of gas, and poured in the entire 6oz of the STP booster.

HWY 190 has a long steady climb over 22 miles from sea level to 5,000 feet. My friend in his CVO, running the same Gas ( although he didn’t add as much as me) & two up had no issues. But my heavier TrGlide, with the 255 Cams, running 75% 87 Octane, and 6oz of STP Octane Boost struggled in the climb. I was running 6th Gear, with wide open throttle to maintain 65 MPH. Downshifting to 5th, didn’t make much difference, other than reving the motor higher. Oh yeah, the ambient temperature was about 55, so the motor didn’t get too hot, and ran about 240 oil temperature.

This is what I think was going on. I did not detect any pinging, so I suspect the anti-knock system kicked in and reduced the spark advance to control knock and consequently reduced the overall power the motor put out.

BTW, the ride from Stove Pipe Wells, via 190 to 395 was incredible. After we crested the first climb, we had many miles of twisty roads, with incredible vistas, and beautiful varied topography. The topography included volcanic fields, desert scrub land, rocky mountains, sand dunes, and the salt fields of Mono Lake.

The elevation vs. mileage plot is below. Note: The elevation plot is by mileage starting at Stove Pipe Wells...so is the reverse of the route plot.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

looks like a great ride, how did the temps do ?

Old 04-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Got dayum. You had to start a thread about octane huh Tri? Do you have any idea of the kind of crowd something like this brings in??? In short order there will be a guy here who runs 87 octane in a 120R and gets 90mpg.

PS
I think you're right.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

No!!! Only 50 mpg and it's not just 87 octane it also E10.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 12:39 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Have only done that trip in a car, beautiful indeed.

I agree with timing being pulled. The bike was running in the high load map areas. You may want to note the rpm, speed and gear should you plan a trip to the tuner. I suspect that the high load areas are not fully tuned (common) as you are rarely in that area. But once tuned you could be accelerating uphill, I can. Mind you I have two wheels so your experience may vary.

Last edited by 1Canuck; 04-21-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: spell
Old 04-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

I ran a full tank of 87 through our trike once and didn't notice any adverse effects. In a pinch, I would do it again. Wouldn't make a steady diet of it,though.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:26 PM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint44
I ran a full tank of 87 through our trike once and didn't notice any adverse effects. In a pinch, I would do it again. Wouldn't make a steady diet of it,though.
Me too! Twice in 5 yrs. Had two choices at the pump the first time. Diesel or 87. After much deliberating I chose 87 octane. Second time there was only one choice. 87. Something to do w/problems in the ground tank w/the higher octane. No problems/effects noticed either time. As you stated; I would NOT make it a practice though.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:32 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Got dayum. You had to start a thread about octane huh Tri? Do you have any idea of the kind of crowd something like this brings in??? In short order there will be a guy here who runs 87 octane in a 120R and gets 90mpg.

PS
I think you're right.
I remember the posts well. " I save 10 cents a gallon using cheap crap and I don't hear any pinging."

34,000 dollars for a toy and he was worried about 60 cents a fill-up. Wait for it, next is a rear tire in the front, lift kits get better mileage, improve steering and a smother ride..... oh, and 15 wind diverters to stop helmet and glasses buffeting. And lets not forget the burning, searing, unbearable heat.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:08 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Don't you just love it when people who don't, even to this day, understand how "Ethanol" was a total multi-billion dollar environmentalists scam, call people who eschew it,, stupid ?

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 12:01 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

First almost all racing fuels spec for some alcohol in them. Why? Kevin Cameron explained that MotoAmerica specs the Sunoco race fuels they use with alcohol. It acts as a refrigerant to cool the incoming charge resulting in a denser charge. Alcohol evaporates much faster than gasoline. The denser charge is a wash in the slightly less BTU's in the alcohol so there is no power loss.

At 10% or less there is no detrimental effects on engines built in the last three decades.

Ten cents difference in cost between 87 and 91/93!!!! Maybe in the 70's and 80's but across this country I find it is 80 to 90 cents per gallon difference. I have seen a rare 50 cents difference and an occasional dollar difference. I tour on average for the past 3 years over 40K per year and about 4.5 gallons per fill. So I am averaging almost four dollars per fill and 6 to 7 fills per day on the road. That covers about one motel stay per three days on the trip. I do a few things that mitigate heat. A tank lift, oil cooler, power AFR, stock muffler with high flow intake(more torque), stock spark advance and periodic carbon cleaning and fuel injector cleaning.

I have proven over the past 15 years and 400K miles that a stock H-D can go ocean to ocean and Key West to the Arctic Circle without pinging by making them run as cool as possible.

Of course if you build your engine with cams, more compression, higher spark advance you will need the highest octane.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-22-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Recent experience with 87 Octane Gas