Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

how to get into trunk / push button doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:11 AM
groveydog
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get into trunk / push button doesnt work

2010 tri glide

Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Search function is your friend, there are some helpful posts on this topic if I remember correctly.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 AM
groveydog
Stage IV

sorry new to this, when I pushed the trunk button , I heard something fall. button goes in , stays in.
trunk wont open. dont knoe how to get it open to fix the problem. any help would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou

Old 10-03-2018, 08:56 AM
groveydog
Stage IV

thank you I will give it a go

Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Groveydog,
Unfortunately, others have reported here that they ended up taking the Trike to their dealership for help with this. There have been instances where the dealer had to drill an access hole in the trunk to get to the mechanism and release it. Just FYI. I am not sure that will be what you have to do, but that is what has been described before in this forum.
Best of luck.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:45 PM
groveydog
Stage IV

ok, I got into the trunk. the push button pulled right out. had to get a new lock mech. installed it, but havin trouble getting the horseshoe clip in that holds , the pushbutton assy into the lock mech. gonna have to buy another clip , cause I boggered it up (bent) tryin to get the clip in. Im gettin closer. but what a bummer.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by groveydog
ok, I got into the trunk. the push button pulled right out. had to get a new lock mech. installed it, but havin trouble getting the horseshoe clip in that holds , the pushbutton assy into the lock mech. gonna have to buy another clip , cause I boggered it up (bent) tryin to get the clip in. Im gettin closer. but what a bummer.

I had the entire lock assembly come out on me while out of town, but could still put the cylinder back in and push it to get into the trunk. I got another clip like your talking about at the dealership for about $3.00 and was going to replace it myself. After a few hours of trying to push the lock cylinder in, hold it in and try to get the clip back in place inside the trunk I gave up and went to the dealership for them to mess with. After 45 minutes or so and $45.00 later it was all fixed and washed ready to go. $5.00 below the deductible for the extended warranty but I didn't care. I did find out that the dealership used a valve spring compressor to hold the lock cylinder in while replacing the clip. What I don't know is if they removed the truck door to get inside the trunk, had it on a lift or all the above. I personally would take it right back to the dealership for them to mess with for that little bit of $$ and no more headache. Maybe the 8 screws and rods in my lower back kept me from being able to get in there to fix it because I simply can't bend anymore the way most people can. I wish you good luck and perhaps the valve spring compressor may have you.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:07 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Some Help

As stated by several others, this happens rather frequently on the trikes. It doesn't seem like HD cares much about changing it or just doesn't want to. Anyway, the link below is just about the best thread you will find about repair and replacing it. brerrabbit posted some good pictures and great info. See if this helps.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...mechanism.html

BTW, did the push button pull out easily? Did it then allow you to open the trunk with no problem?

Last edited by so60; 11-19-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:44 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,276 Likes on 11,145 Posts

It’s a POS design. If it doesn’t keep you from opening the trunk it will allow the trunk to fall open randomly. Then there is the POS parking brake on the pre ‘14 models.