Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

"Pop" in front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Kodiak198
Cruiser
Received 127 Likes on 70 Posts
Default "Pop" in front end

I have a 2017 TG bought used and has 7300 miles on it. I have noticed it making a "Pop" sound/feel in the handlebars. It is most noticeable negotiating curves, only occasionally when going straight. It feels like I run over a rock or something, it feels likes the tire moves (slightly) and it feels like it Pops. I know this doesn't explain it well but it is more of a feeling than a noise yet it seems that I can hear it.

I asked my local H-D service manager and it says that it is normal for TGs. He doesn't know why they do it but that it is normal and okay. I checked the forks and I do not see any oil leaking. The trike still feels stable and I can't see or feel any tire wobble. There does not seem to be any play in the handlebars/tires input/movement.

Maybe it is ok, just curious if any of you have had this experience and if it is indeed the nature of the TG. Just a wee bit nerve wracking for a novice rider.

Thanks in advance, Rick

Old 11-08-2018, 11:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

I get the same noise occasionally on my 17 Road King generally at low speed turning, almost sounds like something is catching then popping loose hitting the front tins and I have noticed the slight wheel wonky also. I've looked hard can't find anything out of the ordinary, thought it may have been a wheel bearing but no.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:44 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

You might check the front wheel axle spacers.If the wrong ones are in there it could cause a binding of the suspension. Just a thought.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

I will weigh in and say I have never experienced this on my 16 Triglide. The friends I ride with (a 12, a 14, and a 17 Tri) have never mentioned this happening with theirs.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:20 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak198
I have a 2017 TG bought used and has 7300 miles on it. I have noticed it making a "Pop" sound/feel in the handlebars. It is most noticeable negotiating curves, only occasionally when going straight. It feels like I run over a rock or something, it feels likes the tire moves (slightly) and it feels like it Pops. I know this doesn't explain it well but it is more of a feeling than a noise yet it seems that I can hear it.

I asked my local H-D service manager and it says that it is normal for TGs. He doesn't know why they do it but that it is normal and okay. I checked the forks and I do not see any oil leaking. The trike still feels stable and I can't see or feel any tire wobble. There does not seem to be any play in the handlebars/tires input/movement.

Maybe it is ok, just curious if any of you have had this experience and if it is indeed the nature of the TG. Just a wee bit nerve wracking for a novice rider.

Thanks in advance, Rick
I have a 2017 TG bought new, 9800 miles. I have never experienced what you are saying. I would jack it up and spin the front wheel and look for an anomaly.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:24 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

I have not noticed anything like this on my 16 in 21K miles. Sorry, I have no idea what your issue could be but doesn't sound "normal" from my experience.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:13 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Might want to check the front motor mount and make sure it hasn't come loose or lost the screw.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

That doesn't sound like a good thing, nothing like that on my '14. What exactly do you feel? Is it an up/down, forward/back or rotating feel? Does it affect the rest of the trike that you can feel with your seat or feet? Do you have to compensate for it any? It does it when going straight, or maybe it's when countering for a highly crowned lane?

Just trying to narrow down the possibilities. Loose or binding steering damper?

Old 11-10-2018, 10:32 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I'd suggest a trip to the dealership a.s.a.p.
It sounds like a front wheel bearing to me which could be dangerous if you ignore it.

Hopefully they'll also check the neck bearings.

Good luck.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Kodiak198
Cruiser
Received 127 Likes on 70 Posts

On occasion if I hit a bump or a hole in the road (going straight) it feels like the front end “bottomed out”. It is more noticeable in curves and the road can be relatively smooth and it is just a very brief thunk/thud/pop in the handlebars. I do not feel it anywhere else on the trike. It does not seem to effect the trike in any way. The front wheel seems tight and does not wobble or wiggle and does not have any side play. The least bit of pressure on the handlebar to turn the front wheel seems to turn the front wheel. It does not make this noise in every curve nor straight road, but the tighter the curve radius the more it seems to make this noise.
Second part based on advice I am reading. If my service manager says it is normal without even looking at it, how do I convince him to check all of the items you guys are suggesting I check? They have a good rep in my area and the next closest dealership is over an hour away. I was hoping I could have it investigated more when they do the clutch recall if I ever get notified. The trike is under extended warranty now.

Again, thanks to all of you who have responded.

Quick Reply: "Pop" in front end