Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Market must be very soft for used TriGlides

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:57 AM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, I just sold a '17 TG after 6 months on the market. You are correct in that the market is very soft. Folks just don't have the ability (or desire?) to plunk down 20 grand on a 'luxury' item. Mine was listed in multiple venues for a long time without even getting a nibble. Someone specifically looking for a TG from a couple hundred miles away found and bought it. Rumble On was a joke. FWIW, I lost around 14 grand over purchase price and mods from new and it only had 5k miles but I was sure glad to see it go.
My recommendation would be to advertise in multiple venues and remember that's it value varies greatly from person to person regardless of what KBB or NADA say.
Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

-Hoggly

Old 03-31-2019, 09:27 AM
Capt. Bob
Cruiser
Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HogglyWoggly
Well, I just sold a '17 TG after 6 months on the market. You are correct in that the market is very soft. Folks just don't have the ability (or desire?) to plunk down 20 grand on a 'luxury' item. Mine was listed in multiple venues for a long time without even getting a nibble. Someone specifically looking for a TG from a couple hundred miles away found and bought it. Rumble On was a joke. FWIW, I lost around 14 grand over purchase price and mods from new and it only had 5k miles but I was sure glad to see it go.
My recommendation would be to advertise in multiple venues and remember that's it value varies greatly from person to person regardless of what KBB or NADA say.
Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

-Hoggly
Hoggly, If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for your 2017 TGU? I could see that your last price drop was to $26k on this site. This information might be helpful to others selling their trikes independently. It seems like a $14k loss is pretty steep for a trike with 5k miles on it and looked brand-new with lots of nice farkels?

One of the things that our brothers and sisters could benefit from is the fact that the Harley dealers have at least $6k of profit built into each TGU plus whatever "extras" they choose to charge. Those of us who negotiate hard can find dealers that are willing to take less profit on each unit and thereby help to defray some of the large depreciation that occurs in just a couple of years of ownership for the retail customer.

Hoggly, BTW, I applaud you for deciding to eliminate unnecessary debt to be able to retire. A TGU is not that exciting that if it should mean we have to work longer than we planned to just to have a fun scooter! Bob

Last edited by Capt. Bob; 03-31-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 AM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

The '17 was an impulse buy (I already had the '12) and was the worst financial decision I ever made. I absolutely hate lower fairings and no matter what I did I could not get the hot air off of my legs. I had the cooling fan and other gadgets but it was always uncomfortable for me. I liked the Boom system and GPS and other 'niceties' but just liked the '12 better. Anyway, enough of that.

The TG sold for 26 which, as you say, was my asking price and the buyer didn't try to negotiate price. He had been shopping for a while and knew the value. An informed buyer (IMO) is always easier to work with than a novice. The modifications are only worth money to you unless the buyer wants exactly what you have. For example, chrome wheels may have cost you a thousand dollars but I don't care for the chrome so they're worth nothing to me.

He was also about my age and, due to knee issues, needed to move to a trike. Unlike the 2 wheel versions, the TG is only going to be appealing to someone specifically looking for 3 wheels. Lots of folks looking for a Harley may be looking for a Road King for example but when they find that great deal on an Ultra they jump on it. The TG is a different animal which is why I suggest to advertise is very broad markets.

Again, just my opinion and YMMV.

-Hoggly

The following 3 users liked this post by HogglyWoggly:
04ctd (04-12-2019), anthony_b. (04-01-2019), Capt. Bob (03-31-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:06 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

...I wonder too if some of the M8 issues being reported(let me get my flame suit on, don't shoot the messenger...)on the '17 & '18(now maybe '19s too?)are hurting the sales of those model trikes/bikes. There's a Harley group around me that has 6 or 7 Harley dealerships within 90miles and I saw last I looked something like 459 used bikes/trikes. Paging through those lists I still can't believe how many used '17 & '18s(some '19s already too)they have. It seems something like 40-50% are '17s & 18s. Many with under 2K miles, some with only a few hundred miles!!! Amazing that people would spend that kinda coin just to trade it back in or sell it back to the dealership? What am I missing?

...I checked RumbleOn last week too and at the time 8 out of 23 HD trikes were 2017s. Wow, hard to believe. There were 88 HD trikes alone on eBay just a little bit ago. Some pretty fair prices, a couple dreamers too. Saw a '15 TG w/17K miles listed for a "buy it now" for $31,995??? Damn, what's he smokin???

...I felt I did fairly OK on my 2016 TG w/5662miles I sold last week for $26K, which I got new in the fall of '16 for $33K. Only had $680 worth of mods(Xied's, oil cooler, filter relocation kit)on it otherwise stock. Guess I got $7K worth of enjoyment out of it in 3yrs use. I was just happy it went quick after advertising it. Actually sold on FaceBook MarketPlace of all places!!! A friend of a friend just happen to want a trike this spring, he liked my color, my mileage and the few mods I had done. Had my friend ride it home for him as the "new owner" had never ridden a trike before. He was happy and I was even happier. He got a very nice, mint low mileage trike he should be able to enjoy for years. I kinda felt bad for him as he was signing the back of the title he looked at me and said, "You know what? I'm 67yrs old and this is the nicest, newest, most expensive vehicle I have ever bought for myself my entire life".

Old 04-02-2019, 06:04 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 391 Posts

Try relisting it on Craigslist in Arizona. I was out there last month and trikes seem to be very popular. There was at least 1 trike to every 5 to 10 Harley's that passed by.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Facebook MarketPlace is the new place to sell stuff.

values on everything has dropped.

i think trikes are a narrow market, and the list of what someone does/does not want on their trike prevents you from selling your SPECIFIC bike sometimes. ( like the HD dealer in Ocala has four of the red/silver TG's which are very "grampa-ish" per the spousal unit)

Old 04-17-2019, 08:51 PM
tbird71
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My Tri Glide Buy/Sell/Trade Experiences

One of the things that our brothers and sisters could benefit from is the fact that the Harley dealers have at least $6k of profit built into each TGU plus whatever "extras" they choose to charge. Those of us who negotiate hard can find dealers that are willing to take less profit on each unit and thereby help to defray some of the large depreciation that occurs in just a couple of years of ownership for the retail customer.
On the 19s, a trade in is the way to go IMO
Guess I'm a regular Tri Glide Buyer. Owe nothing on anything, scared of the stock market
and have plenty of whatever, I have couple other hogs just wanted to try a trike.
I know that this is not for everyone, most cannot justify paying this kind of coin for
something that's just a fun toy to most. They can be tough to sell, no doubt about it
You must do your homework or due diligence, whatever

Tightwad that I am, when I first started looking last year I was eyeballing the 09-12 models
NONE were cheap, seen 09s for 15-17000, 10s 11s 12s anywhere from 17500-22500
I was about to give up.

Guy told me, "EVERYONE wants to buy a Tri Glide in the 15-20000 range" and at the time that was me
I was looking for the bike you have for sale now and had you been local I'm sure I would have gone 15K on it.

I ended up buying a 14 Tri Glide for 15800 + tax out of Miami which I thought was very reasonable
Reason being, it had 34,000 miles on it not too bad I thought, but I absolutely hated that 103 motor on mine
The 103 rocks and rolls easily on my 15 police bike, but absolutely NO roll on power on the 14 Tri Glide
(you're on a 1245 lb motorcycle with 350 avg extra 2 up so it's trying to pull 1600 lbs down the road)
I had to kinda "nurse" it along, sure it'd get up to 65 easily enough, but I dont want to be grabbing gears
all day long if I want to pass or whatever. That to me defeats the whole purpose

So I started calling dealers, book says I should be able to get in the 20K range,
but most dealers said more like 16K due to the miles said they're too hard to sell with higher miles
and I'm afraid they may be right, too many around with 5-15K for sale and people with 20K to spend want a lower mile bike
so I think that may be part of your problem.

Well, I called the dealer I usually trade with, told him what I had and the miles, and that I wanted to trade on a new black 19, he says where you want to be
I said "10 OTD and my 14" he called the next day and said he'd do it!
THEY ALLOWED ME 25000 FOR MY 34K MILE 2014!
Bottom line: I got lucky. And if in 2-3 years should I decide to sell I think I'll do OK if miles are right because of all the upgrades on the 2019 and the high probablity they will be worth more than 1 years difference on the 2018s
And I don't delude myself, I would have been lucky to get the 17K I had in that one back on a private sale with those miles (if that)

Here's my opinion, 2013s and down are worth 20K TOPS regardless of miles. Nobodys going to pay more than that
(everybody would at LEAST like a 14 up Rushmore model if paying in the 20K up range.)
2009-2012 go more by miles than year IMO, a low mile 2010 will fetch more than a higher mile 2013 in similiar condition
17s and 18s unless cheap no one wants, and none of em are...yet. The.107 is ok but you're buying 2014 tech on the rest...may as well go a few more and get the 19
(THATS why so many 17-18s at dealers guys that test ride the 19s see how much better trike they are and trade)
It's not just the motor they steer a whole lot easier brake better you have to ride one to believe it

Had I initially been able to score say a 11-12 with under 10K miles in the 15 range I would have been happy
And I dont know if it's the 103 in general that isnt enough to pull that trike properly or just the 103 that was on mine
but after ridin that 19 I was hooked...if i'm gonna ride one I want that 114 and the new forks and suspension.

Yes, the mkt IS soft. And the guy with the say 7000 mi 2011 that wanted 21000 last week may get a reality check and sell for 15000
next week. If you want one let the dreamers dream. Make em a standin offer and tell them not to waste too much time getting back

I have NEVER seen anyone setting fire to their motorcycle in the back yard...yet...LOL
Good Luck sellin yours!

Last edited by tbird71; 04-17-2019 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Capt. Bob (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:38 AM
Capt. Bob
Cruiser
Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird71
On the 19s, a trade in is the way to go IMO
Guess I'm a regular Tri Glide Buyer. Owe nothing on anything, scared of the stock market
and have plenty of whatever, I have couple other hogs just wanted to try a trike.
I know that this is not for everyone, most cannot justify paying this kind of coin for
something that's just a fun toy to most. They can be tough to sell, no doubt about it
You must do your homework or due diligence, whatever

Tightwad that I am, when I first started looking last year I was eyeballing the 09-12 models
NONE were cheap, seen 09s for 15-17000, 10s 11s 12s anywhere from 17500-22500
I was about to give up.

Guy told me, "EVERYONE wants to buy a Tri Glide in the 15-20000 range" and at the time that was me
I was looking for the bike you have for sale now and had you been local I'm sure I would have gone 15K on it.

I ended up buying a 14 Tri Glide for 15800 + tax out of Miami which I thought was very reasonable
Reason being, it had 34,000 miles on it not too bad I thought, but I absolutely hated that 103 motor on mine
The 103 rocks and rolls easily on my 15 police bike, but absolutely NO roll on power on the 14 Tri Glide
(you're on a 1245 lb motorcycle with 350 avg extra 2 up so it's trying to pull 1600 lbs down the road)
I had to kinda "nurse" it along, sure it'd get up to 65 easily enough, but I dont want to be grabbing gears
all day long if I want to pass or whatever. That to me defeats the whole purpose

So I started calling dealers, book says I should be able to get in the 20K range,
but most dealers said more like 16K due to the miles said they're too hard to sell with higher miles
and I'm afraid they may be right, too many around with 5-15K for sale and people with 20K to spend want a lower mile bike
so I think that may be part of your problem.

Well, I called the dealer I usually trade with, told him what I had and the miles, and that I wanted to trade on a new black 19, he says where you want to be
I said "10 OTD and my 14" he called the next day and said he'd do it!
THEY ALLOWED ME 25000 FOR MY 34K MILE 2014!
Bottom line: I got lucky. And if in 2-3 years should I decide to sell I think I'll do OK if miles are right because of all the upgrades on the 2019 and the high probablity they will be worth more than 1 years difference on the 2018s
And I don't delude myself, I would have been lucky to get the 17K I had in that one back on a private sale with those miles (if that)

Here's my opinion, 2013s and down are worth 20K TOPS regardless of miles. Nobodys going to pay more than that
(everybody would at LEAST like a 14 up Rushmore model if paying in the 20K up range.)
2009-2012 go more by miles than year IMO, a low mile 2010 will fetch more than a higher mile 2013 in similiar condition
17s and 18s unless cheap no one wants, and none of em are...yet. The.107 is ok but you're buying 2014 tech on the rest...may as well go a few more and get the 19
(THATS why so many 17-18s at dealers guys that test ride the 19s see how much better trike they are and trade)
It's not just the motor they steer a whole lot easier brake better you have to ride one to believe it

Had I initially been able to score say a 11-12 with under 10K miles in the 15 range I would have been happy
And I dont know if it's the 103 in general that isnt enough to pull that trike properly or just the 103 that was on mine
but after ridin that 19 I was hooked...if i'm gonna ride one I want that 114 and the new forks and suspension.

Yes, the mkt IS soft. And the guy with the say 7000 mi 2011 that wanted 21000 last week may get a reality check and sell for 15000
next week. If you want one let the dreamers dream. Make em a standin offer and tell them not to waste too much time getting back

I have NEVER seen anyone setting fire to their motorcycle in the back yard...yet...LOL
Good Luck sellin yours!
Big +1 for what TBIRD71 has said. I think he has accurately captured what the real state of the Tri Glide market currently is. Good job!

Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM
vegas-triker
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

the other problem is financing.... get a new one with low % = $xxx, buy a used one, lower price, higher interest = same payment... which would you purchase ??