Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New HD Synthetic Gear Oil 80W-140

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob
Oh no, it's like deja vu all over again! I hated my Englilsh classes! Dr. Bob
It`s got nothing to do with English class, it is just a request for you to space the sentences in the post in a readable manner.

It doesn`t take a lot of effort, or a degree in English Composition.

After all, you are the one asking for help here...

Good luck with whatever the problem is.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-01-2019 at 07:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
motosman1 (11-22-2021)
Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
It`s got nothing to do with English class, it is just a request for you to space the sentences in the post in a readable manner.

It doesn`t take a lot of effort, or a degree in English Composition.

After all, you are the one asking for help here...

Good luck with whatever the problem is.
I am not actually looking for any help but had created the thread to inform my fellow Harley riders about a new HD lubricant.

Thanks for your input and I will try and be more mindful of adding paragraphs for increased readability.

I still hate strict English grammar convention although I am not a fan of tweets

Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 PM
captbob
Tourer

Performed a 5k service on my 2019 TGU today and used the new HD Gear Oil 80/140 in the transmission and primary chainchase.

The oil coming out of the tranny was crystal clear and there were essentially no metal flakes on the drain plug magnet. The oil coming out of the primary chaincase was fairly black with only 4k miles on it and there were approximately x2 amount of shavings on the drain plug magnet as when I changed the primary oil with Formula + at the 1k service. At the 1k service, I had changed the fluids in all three holes. I used SYN 3 in the crankcase and have no appreciable metal shavings on the drain plug magnet.

I took the trike for a 6 mile post-service test hop and did not really feel much of a difference in the transmission's shifting/clunking with the new $20/quart synthetic gear oil. Given how dark the primary fluid was after slightly less than 4k miles, I think I am really glad that I have the new synthetic heavier weight gear oil in that hole. I think that the clutch and primary chain must really take quite a bit of punishment and I am glad that the MOCO decided to offer an upgrade from the Formula +. OTOH, I have never had ANY functional problems using the Formula + in all of the three Tri Glides that I have owned.

Last edited by captbob; 06-08-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:11 PM
captbob
Tourer

Been very busy with some other mechanical projects but I have had a chance to ride the 2019 TGU with the new HD Sythetic Gear Oil 80W-140 for a couple of hundred miles in the sweltering Florida summer heat. As I had mentioned, at the 5k service, I put the new HD Gear Oil in both the transmission and the Primary Chaincase. I have not noticed much of a significant change in the smoothness of the transmission shifts although it does seem to be ever so slightly easier to shift and makes ever so less a clunking sound at times. I would not say that it is really very noticeable especially because I wear soft foam ear plugs inside my 3/4 helmet so am not getting the more raw mechanical sounds that one might hear if I didn't have the ear protection.

The clutch does not behave any differently. I checked the tranny oil to see if it had changed levels even a fraction and I am happy to report that it had not. It is exactly where it started out after the fluid changes.

The Syn 3 that went into the crankcase at the 5k service is doing fine and the slight bit of oil consumption seems to be lessening (possibly 1 dot on the hot marks on the dip stick). I noticed on my previous 2016 107 TGU that it took about 5k miles to slow the use of oil in the crankcase and this seems to be the case with the newer engine. On the 5k service, there was not a hint of oil blowby on the intake air cleaner. So far so good on all fronts. The trike is running perfectly with absolutely no hiccups at this time.

I can't wait until August to see what changes may have come along for 2020. It appears that my Scorched Orange/Black Denim may be changed to a
Scorched Orange/Silver Flux paint as a deluxe two-tone option for 2020? I guess we will all know about the same time <grin>.

Last edited by captbob; 06-26-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:06 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,628 Likes on 5,180 Posts

The more miles you run with the 80W140 in primary the more you will notice the clutch smoothing out. And after the first change you get the residue that was in before you switched, out it gets a bit better. Right at 6,000 miles with the 80W140 in the sidecar rig. I notice no real difference in shifting ,was not an issue anyway. But the clutch is clearly smoother. And no syn will not hurt the clutch that is a myth.
Trikes and sidecars put more stress on the drive line and engine, If the 80W140 helps a bit in the primary well worth it IMO.

Last edited by smitty901; 06-27-2019 at 07:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
captbob (06-27-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:21 AM
harley roadking
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Redline

Why not this in primary. Redline synthetic? The only negative could be the slipperiness effecting the clutch plates. I use it in my transmission.
  • Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90
  • For heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, problem gearboxes
  • Most popular ShockProof product, many racing and specialty applications
  • Many performance racing applications like Sprint, Midget, Dirt Late Model and Quick Change Differentials, Detroit Lockers and spools, NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car rear ends
  • Not recommended for most synchro applications due to the product's extreme slipperiness

Old 07-02-2019, 02:04 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Funny that Harley swears by this but I was at the Harley shop in Canada and mentioned it. Parts man said he has never heard of it so he looked it up. Came up on his Harley site that it was not available in Canada. If its so good why not Canada?
Maybe Terrance and Phillip don't like it.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,458 Likes on 1,694 Posts