Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

U-Haul Trailer Rental

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U-Haul Trailer Rental

Morning all,
Need some help here. I've got to trailer the trike about 200 miles north after the mods are done. We are going up to Doc's Performance TTS school for two days and doing the V-Tunes on the Trike. I can not find a ramped enclosed trailer. U-haul offers two ramped open trailers one is 9'2"L and 4'9"w with a 4'9" ramp. The other is 12'L and 6'2"w also with a 4'9" ramp.

With my bike being 40 miles north, I can't measure it. Stopped by the local dealer yesterday tape in hand and they do not have a Tri in stock. Any ideas or help would be appreciated on what trailer will work. I need to get a reservation made. I would prefer using the smaller of the two if she'll fit. The length is not a problem, it's the width I'm concerned about. Both trailers can be viewed on U-Hauls website. Thanks in advance.
Buddy.....

Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you live in florida...the place you are going is in florida. why not ride up there? you could break-in the motor. then all your dyno time will be spent on tuning and not any on breaking in the motor. most people are looking for an excuse to go riding. JMO

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
TKanaley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Morning all,
Need some help here. I've got to trailer the trike about 200 miles north after the mods are done. We are going up to Doc's Performance TTS school for two days and doing the V-Tunes on the Trike. I can not find a ramped enclosed trailer. U-haul offers two ramped open trailers one is 9'2"L and 4'9"w with a 4'9" ramp. The other is 12'L and 6'2"w also with a 4'9" ramp.

With my bike being 40 miles north, I can't measure it. Stopped by the local dealer yesterday tape in hand and they do not have a Tri in stock. Any ideas or help would be appreciated on what trailer will work. I need to get a reservation made. I would prefer using the smaller of the two if she'll fit. The length is not a problem, it's the width I'm concerned about. Both trailers can be viewed on U-Hauls website. Thanks in advance.
Buddy.....
Buddy,
Go with the wider and longer of the two. Your Trike is about 53"+ wide at the rear wheels. Unless you have a side exit door you will be climbing over the top of your bike to get out. Also, I don't know how low the ramp on your trailer is, but you might drag your pipes if the angle is too steep. I have a 6 X 10 enclosed trailer to haul my Trike and mine doesn't have a whole lot of extra room.

T

Edited to add... Sorry Buddy, I misread. My above comments applied to a enclosed trailer and you asked about an open trailer. I'd still go with the longer and wider of the two.

Last edited by TKanaley; 02-03-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Oops
Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just call the place that has the trike now, get them to take a measurement . Walla, you have your measurement of the exact trike to be hauled and not some other trike.

Trailer safe.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Like TKanaley said your going to need the longer and wider one because the rear wheel width is 53".

Old 02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dan conner
you live in florida...the place you are going is in florida. why not ride up there? you could break-in the motor. then all your dyno time will be spent on tuning and not any on breaking in the motor. most people are looking for an excuse to go riding. JMO
Simply because the base map is in the bike, but the V-Tunes need to be done. I'm not burning up a new engine and you can't dyno a Trike without special equipment that no one has here. That's why we are attending the masters school, to learn how to do this on the road without a dyno.

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 02-03-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
Like TKanaley said your going to need the longer and wider one because the rear wheel width is 53".
Thanks Mike,
We'll order the larger one and still may need 2x10's to get her aboard. Not worried about loading as my property is not level and we can load almost straight on. Just don't know what we'll run into once we get up there.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
ssw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Equally important to size is the trailer's GVWR. The trike is close to 1,200 lbs. check to see if the trailer you choose can handle the weight.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:37 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing you can do Brian is use the trailor jack to jack up the front of the trailor and it will be easier to load.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Another thing you can do Brian is use the trailor jack to jack up the front of the trailor and it will be easier to load.
Mike,
Thanks for that tip, never though about that. We reserved the 12x6 it will handle alot more weight than the trike. Not worried too much about loading here, just unloading and loading her up again at Doc's. Dealer brought mine home yesterday after the mods as a courtesy and to beat the weather. I've got to call them in a minute. Don the driver told me they might let me borrow their open for a couple of days. They also have an enclosed, but the trike won't fit in it.

Quick Reply: U-Haul Trailer Rental