Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
mvengineer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch

I have a very thin (fine) , hair size scratch on top of my left fender. it is about 2 inch long and bothers the hell out of me. I tried to rub it off with harely's scratch remover, it doesnt go away as the black paint covers the white fiberglass fender material underneath. Is there such a thing as a touch up "pen" that can be used to cover the bothersome scratch. Is there any other way to conceal scratch or rub it off.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mvengineer
I have a very thin (fine) , hair size scratch on top of my left fender. it is about 2 inch long and bothers the hell out of me. I tried to rub it off with harely's scratch remover, it doesnt go away as the black paint covers the white fiberglass fender material underneath. Is there such a thing as a touch up "pen" that can be used to cover the bothersome scratch. Is there any other way to conceal scratch or rub it off.
HD does make a touch up kit. Just contact your dealer and he can get it for you. If you know your paint code you can buy it on line.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

If the scratch is truly "hair' sized I can't imagine it being deep enough to go through to the substrate. You're saying fiberglass - there are no fiberglass fenders on any Harley I know of.

I think what you may be confusing for fiberglass is simply the clear-coat. When clear gets scratched it appears white or chalky.

If the scratch is simply in the clear coat it will eventually disappear with polish if you have the right type and rub long and hard enough. If not, then some 1500 grit paper prior to polish should do it.

Depending on the severity, be careful not to create a "valley" in the finish when removing the scratch.

If the scratch is in fact all the way to through the color and clear coats, then the repair is more complex, but still can be done.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 PM
mvengineer
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2black1s
If the scratch is truly "hair' sized I can't imagine it being deep enough to go through to the substrate. You're saying fiberglass - there are no fiberglass fenders on any Harley I know of.

I think what you may be confusing for fiberglass is simply the clear-coat. When clear gets scratched it appears white or chalky.

If the scratch is simply in the clear coat it will eventually disappear with polish if you have the right type and rub long and hard enough. If not, then some 1500 grit paper prior to polish should do it.

Depending on the severity, be careful not to create a "valley" in the finish when removing the scratch.

If the scratch is in fact all the way to through the color and clear coats, then the repair is more complex, but still can be done.
This is a trike, and I am pretty sure the fenders are fiberglass. I will try your suggestion of hard rubbing a few more times, but thanks.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM
wiltat2
Tourer

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

The Tri-Glide rear fenders are fiberglass.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by wiltat2
The Tri-Glide rear fenders are fiberglass.
+1 on that. I installed the mud flaps on mine and when I drilled the holes I was certainly drilling thru fiberglass.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:58 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
+1 on that. I installed the mud flaps on mine and when I drilled the holes I was certainly drilling thru fiberglass.
++1 the chunk, I hesitate to call it a chip, I received last spring from a rock tossed by a dump truck went right into the fibers. If the OP is seeing white he either is seeing the fiberglass beneath or wax has filled the scratch and dried. If the scratch is that deep only touch up will cover it and then it won't be a totally hidden repair.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

...You're saying fiberglass - there are no fiberglass fenders on any Harley I know of...
Sorry guys. Didn't know we were talking trikes here.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Sorry guys. Didn't know we were talking trikes here.
No apology necessary. We just happen to know the poster rides a TG.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Triguy
Intermediate
Default Meguiar's

Had similar scratch on fender and Tour Pak lid. Looked like some vandal used a rock to make marks. Used Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. Can't even see where the scratches were. Just have to do a lot of rubbing using plenty of scratch remover. No need to rub really hard. Just keep repeating until scratch disappears...

Triguy
09 TG
Pasadena,CA

Quick Reply: scratch