Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

pitted wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:11 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question pitted wheels

All three wheels on my NEW TG are pitted from the dealer, they are going to see what HD will do about it, I suggested replacing them with the chrome version of the same wheel and I would be willing to pay some or all of the price difference. I have two questions 1: Do you think Harley will allow this and 2: What would you guesstimate the price difference should be. This bike was delivered Monday and I pointed the pitting out to the dealer before I left and he told me " just polish them & they will be fine " typical dealer response. Hopefully this will go smooth ! ! !

Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer supported me on my new TG after the two rear wheels pitted. He got me new chrome wheels for no additional charge. All I had to pay was the labor to have them taken off, tires changed out and balanced and also buy the chrome HD hub that you need for the chrome wheels.
I tried to get HD at MOCO to honor their warranty, but after about 10 calls, they kept blaming it on local environmental issues. My dealer got the regional rep involved, who normally will do what is necessary to keep the dealer happy, I believe. It worked out for me.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:55 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scooty
All three wheels on my NEW TG are pitted from the dealer, they are going to see what HD will do about it, I suggested replacing them with the chrome version of the same wheel and I would be willing to pay some or all of the price difference. I have two questions 1: Do you think Harley will allow this and 2: What would you guesstimate the price difference should be. This bike was delivered Monday and I pointed the pitting out to the dealer before I left and he told me " just polish them & they will be fine " typical dealer response. Hopefully this will go smooth ! ! !
I could be wrong but with the response you already got from the dealer I think you are headed down a slippery slope.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:52 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the price you pay for these T.G., they should come from the factory with chrome wheels. I started polishing mine from day one and if you didn't keep up with them you're
going to have problems.
I sold my set before they got too bad and put a set of H.D. Anachery wheels on.
Stock wheels = high maintenance.
everyone have a great day.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you take delivery if the wheels were already pitted??

Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Default pitted

You're right, I should have left the bike sit at the dealer but that probably would have probably created more problems. For the price of these bikes there should be no questions on issues like this, I've got my fingers crossed.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

You're right, I should have left the bike sit at the dealer but that probably would have probably created more problems. For the price of these bikes there should be no questions on issues like this, I've got my fingers crossed.
I'm happy that you realized this, but what problems? The wheels should have been replaced before you took delivery. I also read your thread about how you fixed the body lean by yourself. Why, when you have a warranty. Let them fix it and be responsible for what they do. I agree with M1, now you may have problems, but if you can get them to upgrade as you suggested that would be a great deal and I'd push for that.

My wheel problem occurred several months after taking delivery. ***** Shiney came to my rescue at half the price of the HD wheels. I wish you the best in getting them to correct this NOW!!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default body lean

I fixed the body lean myself as it is a simple project and I wanted it to sit level, not almost level which is probably where it would have ended up if the dealer had done it plus as I said the dealer had never heard of this problem so you know where this was headed and Tuesday was a SHI##Y day anyhow so it was a good project and it now sits level ! ! ! If he will help me out on these wheels ( chrome ) I will be more than satisfied and the body work, we'll call it another learning experience ! ! !

Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

I fixed the body lean myself as it is a simple project and I wanted it to sit level, not almost level which is probably where it would have ended up if the dealer had done it plus as I said the dealer had never heard of this problem so you know where this was headed and Tuesday was a SHI##Y day anyhow so it was a good project and it now sits level ! ! ! If he will help me out on these wheels ( chrome ) I will be more than satisfied and the body work, we'll call it another learning experience ! ! !
I wish you well bud, keep pushing them for a resolution. If not try HD customer service. Was this problem documented by the dealer? Sounds from your OP that it was not when you were told to polish them. You know what they say, if it wasn't documented, it didn't happen.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lately I find that dealers are not making things right after purchase and HD has become a broken record for "that's normal".If I were buying today I would put every issue on the sales contract and dot all the I's.I would include a manual with my purchase and do some of my own work.I would also look for reliable Indy as quick as I could.

You riders that have good,concerned dealers disregard this post.

My next purchase will include negotiations up front for better pricing on maintenance as weel as a 30 day 20%discount on accessories including labor.

Now I know I probably won't get everything listed here but if I get some of them it is worth hundreds or even thousands down the road.

Do not accept a leaning bike or pitted wheels or any thing like that because some dealers will jump to correct things before the sale while after the sale they get amnesia.

T K

Last edited by T K Glider; 04-29-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: add on

Quick Reply: pitted wheels