Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Installing trailor hitch on a 11TG

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:13 PM
trike1
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installing trailor hitch on a 11TG

I am looking at installing a trailer hitch on my 11TG. I have ordered my hitch and waiting for it. I was looking underneath the bike and have a couple of questions and looking for some guidance or tips on installation.

1. The 2 torx screews are pretty close to muffler brackets. Do I have to unbolt and remove the muffler brackets and remove the mufflers in order to remove them from the cross member?

2. Is there an easy way at getting the two torx screws off the rear cross member without stripping them?

Any help or suggestions installing the hitch will greatly be appreciated.

thanks Mike

Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master

The two torx bolts are tamper proof. You will need to go to NAPA or somewhere and get a T40 Tamperproof socket. You might need to heat the bolt heads to soften the locktite on the threads. Then they will turn right out. You can get to them without moving the mufflers, I did and I have the Cobra TriOval Mufflers.
Ride on.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 AM
trike1
Cruiser

Thanks Jim

Any suggestions on running the wiring from under the seat to the back of the bike? I am using the plug n play setup with 5-4 connector and isolator.

Originally Posted by Noble Jim
The two torx bolts are tamper proof. You will need to go to NAPA or somewhere and get a T40 Tamperproof socket. You might need to heat the bolt heads to soften the locktite on the threads. Then they will turn right out. You can get to them without moving the mufflers, I did and I have the Cobra TriOval Mufflers.
Ride on.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master

Down and under, you can tie-wrap to the hitch.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by trike1
Thanks Jim

Any suggestions on running the wiring from under the seat to the back of the bike? I am using the plug n play setup with 5-4 connector and isolator.
Having just completed this task the 5-4 connector will not work. Isolator fits under the seat and wiring to back of bike...will have to install the 5-wire round adapter somewhere. You'll have to add brake lights/wiring to the trailer as it's only 4-wire, trike is 5-wire. You will have to use 5-wire round plug the same pattern on trike and trailer. My installer may be able to help.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM
wacool65
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to disagree with the above reply. I had the 5/4 wire convertor on my ultra and will be installing the same on my tri-glide. Easily plug and play and converts the 5 wire to a 4 wire connector which is what I run on all my trailers. No problem. I think I used the wiring harness sold by RIVCO.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM
sprinkman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wacool65
I will have to disagree with the above reply. I had the 5/4 wire convertor on my ultra and will be installing the same on my tri-glide. Easily plug and play and converts the 5 wire to a 4 wire connector which is what I run on all my trailers. No problem. I think I used the wiring harness sold by RIVCO.
Hope you are right just ordered everything from Rivco.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:06 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wacool65
Just saying the 5-4 converter didn't work for me! May work for others.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by trike1
Thanks Jim

Edited

Last edited by TheBobs; 05-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 PM
trike1
Cruiser

Talked Rivco tech support today and they advised me their plug and play with 5/4 connector and isolator will work with the 4 prong connector on trailor.
Barbara, I will give you guys a call when I get back.
Thanks to all your for your help.

Quick Reply: Installing trailor hitch on a 11TG