Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 Tri Glide Rear brake lever

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:58 PM
silverstar glide rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Tri Glide Rear brake lever

I just purchased a 2014 Tri Glide, my First Trike! Ok so far I like the bike but the reason I went to a trike at this point in my life is because I got T boned on a bike about 40 years ago and it did a lot of damage to my leg. All of the bikes I have had since I have had to put an extended brake lever on. The Kuryakyn extended pedal worked fine. Unfortunately I left the pedal on my road glide when I traded it. But I had the original road glide pedal and it seemed longer so I thought I would try it and it WONT FIT ON THE TRI GLIDE SPINDLE! What's up with this? Is the spindle on all Tri Glides wider than on the 2 wheeled models? or is it something new for 2014. I need to get a brake lever that I am comfortable with. Checking the Kuryakyn site they say there extended pedal fits several models including the Tri Glide up thru 2012. If that is true then Harley changed the size of the brake spindle on the 2014 models. Long winded but I don't know how else to explain. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 09-23-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstar glide rider
I just purchased a 2014 Tri Glide, my First Trike! Ok so far I like the bike but the reason I went to a trike at this point in my life is because I got T boned on a bike about 40 years ago and it did a lot of damage to my right leg. All of the bikes I have had since I have had to put an extended brake lever on. The Kuryakyn extended pedal worked fine. Unfortunately I left the pedal on my road glide when I traded it. But I had the original road glide pedal and it seemed longer so I thought I would try it and it WONT FIT ON THE TRI GLIDE SPINDLE! What's up with this? Is the spindle on all Tri Glides wider than on the 2 wheeled models? or is it something new for 2014. I need to get a brake lever that I am comfortable with. Checking the Kuryakyn site they say there extended pedal fits several models including the Tri Glide up thru 2012. If that is true then Harley Changed the size of the brake spindle on the 2014 models. Long winded but I don't know how else to explain. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry unreadable, delete and re post without the drama, please.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstar glide rider
I just purchased a 2014 Tri Glide, my First Trike! Ok so far I like the bike but the reason I went to a trike at this point in my life is because I got T boned on a bike about 40 years ago and it did a lot of damage to my right leg. All of the bikes I have had since I have had to put an extended brake lever on. The Kuryakyn extended pedal worked fine. Unfortunately I left the pedal on my road glide when I traded it. But I had the original road glide pedal and it seemed longer so I thought I would try it and it WONT FIT ON THE TRI GLIDE SPINDLE! What's up with this? Is the spindle on all Tri Glides wider than on the 2 wheeled models? or is it something new for 2014. I need to get a brake lever that I am comfortable with. Checking the Kuryakyn site they say there extended pedal fits several models including the Tri Glide up thru 2012. If that is true then Harley Changed the size of the brake spindle on the 2014 models. Long winded but I don't know how else to explain. Any help would be appreciated.
Give Kuryakyn a call tomorrow & they can help you out. Sometimes they don't update their online reference often enough. I would think all the trikes were the same through the '13's. The 14's have a different setup, so no doubt things aren't the same anywhere.
The 14's might be a mystery to them as yet tho.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:22 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the Kuryakyn extended break and shifter on my '08 Ultra. I moved both to my '09 Tri-Glide with no problems. I sure wouldn't think they would change the pedal shaft, but who knows.

Good Luck.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 PM
DaveLaBenne
Cruiser

I'm sure with the linked braking system they changed the spindle and/or the connecting point to the master cylinder. They made a lot of changes on the 14's!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM
silverstar glide rider
Intermediate

Thanks, I will be calling Kuryakan and Harley if need be. the brake lever shaft on the 2014 Tri Glide is definitely a larger diameter than my 2013 Road Glide was that is for sure. NO DRAMA, JUST FACT.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:07 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm glad to see that moco finially fixed the parking brake location. Because it seemed like when I tried to use it it felt like I was going to fall off the trike just trying to apply it. So, I stopped using it & just left the trike in 1st gear. To date, neither of my trikes have tried to roll away while it's in gear, even on our HOG parking lot which is far from level.