Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Can the tour pak be removed for riding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Slarsonroy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the tour pak be removed for riding?

My wife rides a 2013 Triglide and asked if the tourpak can be removed. Is it safe to ride without it? My 2007 EG had a removal tourpak and I loved the option of riding without it. Has anyone done this and do you have any pics of it removed?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought about doing it . The electrical wiring is the only thing I might have to deal with. Also the mounting holes may be a problem to fill. I love the looks of a trike with wide tires and low in the back look. I still would have the trunk to store things. Talked with the dealers on installing wider tires and was told it would probably void warranty. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:15 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure how they route the wiring to the tour pak but the short answer is yes...its not unsafe to ride without it,she would give up the running lights and 3rd brake light if thats how its wired up.....mine doesn't have it....it should look pretty cool,have a friend that takes his off his eg and it looks good without it....the wiring harness should be unplug and play....

Old 05-07-2014, 01:20 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced

buy a antenna that goes inside the fairing,mine is mounted on side of trunk,i installed one inside the fairing,have a little short one out there now for looks....

Old 05-07-2014, 02:15 PM
04 Fatboy 67
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fabricated a detachable mount so I can mount my tourpak on the luggage rack. It's at the painter's right now, but I will be posting up some pic of the finished product once I get it back.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed the tour pac today to see if the rear lights still work. Everything worked fine except I screwed up the speakers on the tour pac when I rolled forward the tour pac. the speakers lined up perfectly with the passenger chrome handles and pushed the darn speaker screens in. I guess I can replace them. I will just blast the radio until I blow the speakers and install larger ones. Back with the tour pac removal. I will need to fill the holes on the trunk with a luggage rack. It should work just fine. I will just have to secure the wire plugs under the seat.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced

i didn't think about the rear speakers either,should still be unplug them and go,you got at least 2 options the chrome strips that bolt up in your existing holes or the luggage rack which is what i changed over to.....backrest bolts up to luggage rack or not if you don't like that look...luggage rack looks good either way....

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced

ronnies harley davidson.com shows the parts breakdown.....and i have no connection with them but it is a good reference....i have the chrome strips that come stock on the flhxxx and will sell them at some point,i like the luggage rack look better.....post a picture of it,before i found this bike i was gonna buy a triglide and do what you did.....you get more toys with the triglide....and can go back and forth with it....

Old 05-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Slarsonroy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
I removed the tour pac today to see if the rear lights still work. Everything worked fine except I screwed up the speakers on the tour pac when I rolled forward the tour pac. the speakers lined up perfectly with the passenger chrome handles and pushed the darn speaker screens in. I guess I can replace them. I will just blast the radio until I blow the speakers and install larger ones. Back with the tour pac removal. I will need to fill the holes on the trunk with a luggage rack. It should work just fine. I will just have to secure the wire plugs under the seat.
Sorry to hear about your speakers. Something to be aware of when removing it! I just bought my wife some Hog Tunes speakers and Amp, I would give you a good deal on the stock rear speakers I am taking out. Have you taken any pictures of the tour pac removed?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

OK, how in the heck do you get the tour pak off of a 14 Tri Glide???

It isn't anything like any of the pictures I've seen, nor does it look like any of the ones on the sites that make extenders for trikes. There's a metal plate inside under the liner (good idea, I suppose, it's rated for 30 pounds instead of 25 now), but the bolts are flat topped and don't have a torx or an allen opening. There isn't any way to turn them from the top.

Getting a wrench on the front nuts underneath looks difficult at best, and the bracket between the trunk and the pak is also bolted down with extensions that go under the back seat now, so it's not just 6 nuts up inside the trunk! So it's hard to take the pak and bracket off together, too! I was going to make my own extenders, but . . . Has anybody else looked into this?

Quick Reply: Can the tour pak be removed for riding?