Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike Security

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:42 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Only need 1 ramp to load a two wheeler. Trikes are way harder due to weight and size.

Don't know about ramps. Most motorcycle thieves will either pull a low trailer up next to the target bike and muscle it onto a mattress on the trailer or use a enclosed van with padding inside. They aren't tying them down and putting them in chocks. It only takes 2 or 3 fairly large individuals and the bike is gone in about 15 seconds, alarm or no alarm, disk lock or no disk lock.

IMHO just because TG's may cost more they probably won't be targeted more just because they would have to almost be rolled in some manner up ramps to be stolen. If you lock your forks and use some type of disk lock then you have really slowed them down even if they do want to attempt it.

The following users liked this post:
Casper (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Guess it must be a location thing. Our dealer sells Tri Glides new and used, sell as soon as they hit the dealership. He usually has an owner for them before they even get there. Comparatively Road King, an Ultra can sit for most of the season, a Sportster may hang around for over a year. Not saying that is a true compare to stolen or steeling one, but demand is out there.
Not sure why you say they are more traceable?
I meant they are very noticeable and hard to disguise. No one pays attention to a 2 wheeler, but they do a trike.

Yes, the dealers sell all the TG they get, but they only get a few compared to other models.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
Don't know about ramps. Most motorcycle thieves will either pull a low trailer up next to the target bike and muscle it onto a mattress on the trailer or use a enclosed van with padding inside. They aren't tying them down and putting them in chocks. It only takes 2 or 3 fairly large individuals and the bike is gone in about 15 seconds, alarm or no alarm, disk lock or no disk lock.

IMHO just because TG's may cost more they probably won't be targeted more just because they would have to almost be rolled in some manner up ramps to be stolen. If you lock your forks and use some type of disk lock then you have really slowed them down even if they do want to attempt it.
Exactly. We had a young guy in our chapter with a Low Rider. He parked it in front of his 1st floor office window. A pick up with 4 guys pulled in next to his bike, jumped out, picked it up and tossed it into the truck and was gone before he could get to the door and out to the spot where his bike was. You're right it was gone in about 15~20 seconds. Couldn't happen with a TG.

Maybe the status of a TG will change in the future. I just don't see a thief going to all that trouble when there are hundreds of easier models to steal. JMHO

Old 10-21-2016, 10:44 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK

Always fork lock and disc brake lock when traveling. Around town just the fork lock. Trike also has the siren alarm.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Exactly. We had a young guy in our chapter with a Low Rider. He parked it in front of his 1st floor office window. A pick up with 4 guys pulled in next to his bike, jumped out, picked it up and tossed it into the truck and was gone before he could get to the door and out to the spot where his bike was. You're right it was gone in about 15~20 seconds. Couldn't happen with a TG.

Maybe the status of a TG will change in the future. I just don't see a thief going to all that trouble when there are hundreds of easier models to steal. JMHO
Exactly. Certain Harley's are blinged out by their owners moreso than trikes. Also, rather difficult to turn a trike frame into a chopper.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:22 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Yeh, I guess your right, why would they go through the effort of trying to steel a TG when a 2 wheel is much lighter and has the same parts that would be piecing it out for.
depends on how easy it is to get. make it easy and it will get the attention, make it hard and they will look for something easier. thieves will steal whatever they can if it's easy, no matter what it is.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:22 PM
acunn1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Always fork lock and disc brake lock when traveling. Around town just the fork lock. Trike also has the siren alarm.
Definetly get the siren alarm. Works on slight movement and even if the disconnect the battery it will sound, regardless if you have the fob close. Found that out in a garage, nice and loud. I also have Lo-Jak.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Tenacious
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the disc lock with cable to remind me it is on the front wheel. Most motels will let you park by the front door under the lights. In fact the last place I stayed volunteered the parking area under the entrance canopy. Security camera will film any event. That should be all you need for the insurance company to get it replaced.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:18 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenacious
I use the disc lock with cable to remind me it is on the front wheel. Most motels will let you park by the front door under the lights. In fact the last place I stayed volunteered the parking area under the entrance canopy. Security camera will film any event. That should be all you need for the insurance company to get it replaced.

Under the canopy is a double edge sword, it can sometimes save you from a thief, but open you up to having it hit by a car. I read once on a forum where a guy had his bike stolen while parked under the canopy, IIRC, it wasn't found and neither were the thieves. At 2am there is no guarantee someone will be at the desk, I've been to a desk at 2am and waited for 15 minutes for someone to show up.

The one hotel I stopped at told me to park under the canopy at my own risk, they had some older and very young drivers hit bikes before. In all my travels, I only parked there one time and my bike did come close to being hit by a visually challenged older gentleman. I just choose my parking spot no different than if I was driving my truck.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I still think in front of the office is better then out back in the dark somewhere. It also depends on how wide it is in front of the office. On the other side of the coin as you mention, "in the dark out of sight" less chance??? Maybe.

1 There are usually cameras to at least get a picture of the thief for the cops
2 The thieves don't know when there won't be someone at the desk
3 Thieves usually like to stay away from light.
4 There's always the chance someone will drive up - customer or cop

So far I've never been hit. Don't know if there was ever a close call. If I'm with a group, I'll park with the rest of them. I figure my TG will be the last one on their list to steal.

I wonder if anyone is keeping a list of what models that get stolen. It would be interesting to see how many trikes get stolen.

Quick Reply: Trike Security