Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Why 3 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Trikin
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have any ailments that caused me to go to 3. I just never was comfortable on 2. I would ride, but I think I was always inside my own head too much. My dad started riding again and bought himself a trike and after seeing how much he enjoyed his, he convinced me to get one too. I rode my first trike more in the first couple months of owning it than I rode all the 2 wheelers I owned all together.

The following users liked this post:
Hogdoc45 (12-31-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Congrats

Trikes sure are a lot of fun more the miles bigger the smiles Congratulations enjoy riding with your father. ride safely fearless

Originally Posted by Trikin
I don't have any ailments that caused me to go to 3. I just never was comfortable on 2. I would ride, but I think I was always inside my own head too much. My dad started riding again and bought himself a trike and after seeing how much he enjoyed his, he convinced me to get one too. I rode my first trike more in the first couple months of owning it than I rode all the 2 wheelers I owned all together.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:20 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

DK, great video, thank you for posting, am seriously considering "triking" my ultra classic, definetely got me thinking stronger,didn't know how well they would corner, appears that's not an issue.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:10 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

mctravler, do a cost comparison first. A full conversion vs a new Tri Glide. Be it a new M8 or leftover '16. I did and was surprised to discover that the cost difference favored getting a new Tri Glide. At least that way one has a m/c that has been designed from the ground up as a trike. Plus you have a full warranty on a new m/c.

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeyTX:
Casper (12-28-2016), Fearless (old nickname) (12-27-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:44 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

MikeyTX, thank you, yes , I will check it out, looking probably Spring, need to sell a truck, first, will free up more cash, maybe not a real new one, my problem is.... I really like my ultra..and it's older[99] and has 75k m, so trade might be not the best[ although we have a good dealer in this neck of the woods]...but it's so pretty Aztec orange and Diamond Ice, hard to find a color i like better, so thought could get the paint matched[looking at Lehman] and not spend a lot of cash or have to finance too long. But, what you say makes alot of sense. Ill keep thinking... thanks again

Old 12-28-2016, 10:11 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

I looked at a number of the major players. California Side Car, Moto Trike, Lehman, just to name a few. By the time I added just some of the basics like reverse gear and IRS. Then added in the labor to have one built, it became rather obvious that the Tri Glide was the way to go. Even if you go with a gently pre owned Rushmore TG you will be ahead of the game. The 18,750 miles on my '16 happened faster than I thought they would. I bought it in April of this year btw. I ride in weather I never would have on two wheels. Simply not worrying about wet pavement is a plus.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:13 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Heck, where you are in MN, you could fit cable chains to it and ride all winter long.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Zepaholic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed riding RK's in the past & my 2016 EGUC that I bought in March 2016. I bought the EGUC so I could ride long distance.
Had surgery in April (removed stomach due to cancer), while in the hospital contracted Sepsis. I will spare you the rest & say that I was confined to a hospital bed from April till August. During that time all I wanted was wind therapy. I had to wait to November to get back on my scoot. I rode but I had limitations like having trouble holding up my scoot. Riding from point A to Point B was no problem, just the stop & go plus the hills. I had been told by my doctors I was not going to be strong as I was in my legs, I just didn't believe them. Unfortunately they were right. So at the young age of 46 I decided a trike was the way to go.
I bought my 2016 Freewheeler yesterday & I love it, yes I miss the lean but the I still get my wind therapy & thats what counts.

Hope everyone has a good one.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:41 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Zepaholic
I enjoyed riding RK's in the past & my 2016 EGUC that I bought in March 2016. I bought the EGUC so I could ride long distance.
Had surgery in April (removed stomach due to cancer), while in the hospital contracted Sepsis. I will spare you the rest & say that I was confined to a hospital bed from April till August. During that time all I wanted was wind therapy. I had to wait to November to get back on my scoot. I rode but I had limitations like having trouble holding up my scoot. Riding from point A to Point B was no problem, just the stop & go plus the hills. I had been told by my doctors I was not going to be strong as I was in my legs, I just didn't believe them. Unfortunately they were right. So at the young age of 46 I decided a trike was the way to go.
I bought my 2016 Freewheeler yesterday & I love it, yes I miss the lean but the I still get my wind therapy & thats what counts.

Hope everyone has a good one.
Congrats on winning that battle!!!

That is good to hear you are back in the wind!

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Zepaholic (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Trike riders are not settlers

We ride to stay in the wind not just settle for riding a trike for whatever reason three wheels make us comfortable. Life's experience good or bad determine what and how we do things.

The key is we still keep doing them in any form possible period we don't stop, and sit on the porch because we have to change they way we operate things. we still ride... ride safely fearless

Quick Reply: Why 3 wheels?