Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Need TriGlide Advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Need TriGlide Advise

In November I traded my Ultra Classic for a Fat Boy and now am strongly considering a trike to to a bad knee.

My two main concerns are is the trike going to feel stable on the hiway doing 60-70 mph and how likely is the trike to flip over?

Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

My wife just got one, she had never drove a 2 wheel. She is taking to it very fast. For me after 35 years of nothing but 2 wheels, I find it fun in town and at stop lights. Great in parking lots too. I have been up to 70 mph for a short time and it felt fine. I too wonder how hard you would need to go for a flip. I can give you more info after this coming Monday.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

A TriGlide will be much more stable, as a touring platform. As for flipping one over, that would be very difficult to accomplish. I've been riding trikes for ten years and haven't been able to lift a rear wheel, though I've certainly pushed the limits,many times.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:00 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Trike

I have rode 110 mph on my Trike 2up , (stupidly I might add ) and they are more stable than any 2 wheeler ! As with any vehicle wind is a big factor . Operate cautiously , as far as rolling or tipping the Trike over would be a major chore ! I honestly think you would be thrown off before tipping it over . I have 60,000 miles of experience on my Trike and probably 100, 000 miles on 2 wheelers , my $.02 . Ebert

Old 03-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

My T/G is very stable, but, it can be a little twitchy when road conditions are bad compared to a two wheeler. Wife feels much more comfortable since we got the T/G.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:06 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

They are a little twitchy when you first start riding, but that goes away with some time in the saddle. Just take it slow until you get comfortable and go from there. I am taking corners faster on the Tri than I did on 2 wheels. I'm sure Kevin at DK Customs will hop in here with a video of him taking corners, very cool. You would really have to ride crazy to trip a Tri.

A few other thoughts:
No leaning, push to steer, like an atv or snowmobile.
Don't put your feet down at stops.
Put your arms out wide to the side, that is about how wide the rear end is around gas
pumps & curbs.
In a turn, push down on the outside floorboard with your foot and on that handle bar with
your arm (pull the inside bar). This helps you brace to not slide to the outside of the
seat.

If you can, rent one for a day. Best of luck to you.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (03-29-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 07:18 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 285 Posts

Trikes are very stable and flipping one would not be easy , it’s a 1200 pound ride before you add a rider I have pushed ours aggressively and the worst I have done is feel the front wheel bounce on tight curves where I pushed to aggressive

Old 03-24-2018, 01:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Marks57
In November I traded my Ultra Classic for a Fat Boy and now am strongly considering a trike to to a bad knee.

My two main concerns are is the trike going to feel stable on the hiway doing 60-70 mph and how likely is the trike to flip over?
They are very stable on the highway, doing 60-70 mph. However, to many, when they first start riding, it does not feel stable, because they are comparing it with their 2 wheel experience.

I regularly put the cruise on 70-80 mph and maintain a straight line down the interstate with 1-2 fingers on the bars.

Almost everyone gets comfortable with it after the first few hundred miles...some take as much as 1000 miles to get really comfortable.

They will only flip over if you go FAR to hot into a corner...much hotter than you could go on a 2 wheel Harley and stay up.

Here's the video graygoat was referencing...you can see how stable it is.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 PM
HD103$
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my electraglide last year and got a triglide have not been sorry since. Wife and I like the ride.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (03-29-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

I went from two Springer softtails to a 2017 TG. To me, it is rock stable. The only time I felt a little concerned was doing 85 on I-81 in Va. The traffic was heavy and moving fast. It was the road crown that was giving me the creeps. The pull was noticeable and going around long turns while countering the road crown was a little unnerving.
Now, that was my maiden voyage on the Trike. I left on that trip with less than 500 mile on the bike. I have about 6000 on it now and would probably feel differently.

My wife wanted to learn. We went to an open parking lot and I put her up front. She was doing OK until she started to go around a turn. She was shifting from 1 to 2 and (I think) she bumped the throttle fob and the front wheel came off the ground (which render the trike to go straight) and we nearly went over the curb.

At first, I missed the two-wheel experience of leaning and pushing the envelope on twisties. But I whip that puppy around and can really snap this beast around.

I know I can make low speed turns faster on the trike. The key is to keep the front wheel engaged to the road. I had the front wheel skip when turning on wet roads but I was trying to find the limit.

Trikes are very forgiving. Of course, someone mentioned to keep you feet on the boards. ALWAYS keep you feet up lest you want to drive up your own leg.

And remember, you got about 3 feet of hardware on each side of you. I have yet to hit anything but only because I have a good woman screaming "watch out!!".

Hope to see you on the road. We are planning Deadwood this year.

Quick Reply: Need TriGlide Advise