Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Center Rear Wheel Covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Yep, once you get the wheels off, then you have to break loose the Harley locktite on the hex bolt that retains the hub. Then the hub begins turning once the bolt is loose. There is no way to grab that hub unless you have very large slip-joint pliers. I didn't so I had to jam a wood shim between hub and wheel to keep it from turning.
So now when I look at my rear wheels I say "Damn, they look good!" just to justify the labor I put into it.
Boon, I guess the Harley Motorcycle Gods figured that they gave me enough grief that day in removing the wheels so they decided not to throw the locktite problem at me.

Once you figure out the “secret trick” in removing the TG rear wheels …it’s a snap and I have had them off and on a number of times since with no problem!

Boon, you are correct…they do look GREAT and that justifies the effort!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Boon, I guess the Harley Motorcycle Gods figured that they gave me enough grief that day in removing the wheels so they decided not to throw the locktite problem at me.

Once you figure out the “secret trick” in removing the TG rear wheels …it’s a snap and I have had them off and on a number of times since with no problem!

Boon, you are correct…they do look GREAT and that justifies the effort!
I installed them on my 2010 when I had less than 100 miles on it so it was "factory fresh". I guess someone was feelin' frisky at the South Dakota plant one day and decided to loctite everything.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Default rear wheel removal

Jim, for future reference and for someone who may run into tire problems, how high would you recommend that the rear tire should be off the ground before attempting the removal? I know you need a certain amount of clearance in order to "flex" that wheel out from under the fender.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim, for future reference and for someone who may run into tire problems, how high would you recommend that the rear tire should be off the ground before attempting the removal? I know you need a certain amount of clearance in order to "flex" that wheel out from under the fender.
I have had my rear tires off several times and I would guesstimate that they need to be about 6 inches off the ground. If they had made the rear fenders 1/2" wider sure would made a difference.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now here's a question.....how hard is it to take the fenders off? Aren't they made to come off?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Now here's a question.....how hard is it to take the fenders off? Aren't they made to come off?
Yes, they are made to come off. I think this was one of their marketing ploys. You damage the fender, it gets removed and replaced/repaired. Problem is, in my opinion, you have to remove the wheel to get the fender off.

Last edited by Boom; 12-11-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
If they had made the rear fenders 1/2" wider sure would made a difference.
Yea, go figure! I wonder who was involved in that design issue. They must have rushed the whole trike concept just to get it on the market in time for the '09 sales year.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Boon, the height you raise the TG is not the key element here, oldmsocko is probably correct in his quesstimit of 6”. You can raise the bike to the sky but unless you place the transmission in neutral and turn the wheel while pulling it towards you…your going to have a heck of a time removing that wheel.

The “secret trick” is, as Chubby Checker would say “twist and turn like we did last summer!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I have had my rear tires off several times and I would guesstimate that they need to be about 6 inches off the ground. If they had made the rear fenders 1/2" wider sure would made a difference.
Mike, I agree about an extra ½” probably making a big difference! I think that I read that the rear tires on the 2010 TG’s are smaller than the ’09’s and am wondering if they are any easier to remove. Have you had your son’s rear wheels off yet?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:26 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, I agree about an extra ½” probably making a big difference! I think that I read that the rear tires on the 2010 TG’s are smaller than the ’09’s and am wondering if they are any easier to remove. Have you had your son’s rear wheels off yet?
I have not had my sons off yet but they are the same size. I agree with you about the twisting motion to get the rear tire off but you need some height off the ground for the tire to drop down and clear the fender. Its not too bad to get the tire off once you get the hang of it. Hopefully I don't have to take them off very often.

Quick Reply: TG Center Rear Wheel Covers