Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   PM (Performance Machine) TG Brakes Installed (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/505940-pm-performance-machine-tg-brakes-installed.html)

PopDukes 04-21-2010 10:07 PM

PM (Performance Machine) TG Brakes Installed

WOW. What a difference. Not only did it rid my squeaking, but most importantly, the TG now stops on a dime!

Dramatic improvement on stopping ability!!!!!! Feel it was well worth the investment. About $1500.

SEAlaskan 04-21-2010 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by PopDukes (Post 6602985)
WOW. What a difference. Not only did it rid my squeaking, but most importantly, the TG now stops on a dime!

Dramatic improvement on stopping ability!!!!!! Feel it was well worth the investment. About $1500.

Stopping on a dime, eh!! front and rear brakes together I assume?? How much of a improvement on rears only:icon_question:

oldmsocko 04-22-2010 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan (Post 6603291)
Stopping on a dime, eh!! front and rear brakes together I assume?? How much of a improvement on rears only:icon_question:

Very good question. With my stock brakes using front and rear at the same time it will stop on a dime. My stock rear brakes appear adequate, but as soon as Lyndell come out with rear brake pads I will replace my stock pads with them.

msocko3 04-22-2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by PopDukes (Post 6602985)

:icon_worthless:... Just saying:icon_smile:.

Boom 04-22-2010 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by oldmsocko (Post 6603719)
Very good question. With my stock brakes using front and rear at the same time it will stop on a dime. My stock rear brakes appear adequate, but as soon as Lyndell come out with rear brake pads I will replace my stock pads with them.

I guess I can say the same for my '10. One thing that urks me is having to "stand" on the rear brake at a stop to keep it from drifting. I like to sit back and stretch without having to grip the front brake.
They changed the rear brakes on the '10s???:icon_confused:

carlo 04-22-2010 12:58 PM

$1,500 is a lot of money for a up grade when will it stop. My 09 TG stops fine.

msocko3 04-23-2010 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Boom (Post 6603905)
I guess I can say the same for my '10. One thing that urks me is having to "stand" on the rear brake at a stop to keep it from drifting. I like to sit back and stretch without having to grip the front brake.

One of the bullet items in the 2010 MY technical update says the following for the Triglide.

Reduced Rear Brake Effort
(New Master Cylinder and Calipers – will retro-fit)

Myself I can't feel any difference between mine or my dads rear breaks. I can say for kicks I decided to see what the rear breaks would do one mine when I pushed harder than normal on the peddle. I was surprised at how loud the rear tires squeal when they lock up. I figure if you can lock up the back tires you can't ask for much better breaking. To me it doesn't seem like I have to push very hard on the rear break peddle to stop or hold it while sitting at a stop light, but everyone has different physical limitations. Maybe there are some who need reduced effort due to leg strength issues, I used to squat 500# at one time so I don't have much problem in that dept.

oldmsocko 04-23-2010 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by msocko3 (Post 6608634)
I used to squat 500# at one time so I don't have much problem in that dept.

That's not very much weight. I use that much just to warm up.:icon_smile:

Boom 04-23-2010 08:48 AM

Maybe there are some who need reduced effort due to leg strength issues, I used to squat 500# at one time so I don't have much problem in that dept.

500 lbs.?! Geez, more like 500 oz. for me! :icon_lol:

SEAlaskan 04-23-2010 10:06 AM

One of the bullet items in the 2010 MY technical update says the following for the Triglide.

Reduced Rear Brake Effort
(New Master Cylinder and Calipers – will retro-fit)

Myself I can't feel any difference between mine or my dads rear breaks. I can say for kicks I decided to see what the rear breaks would do one mine when I pushed harder than normal on the peddle. I was surprised at how loud the rear tires squeal when they lock up. I figure if you can lock up the back tires you can't ask for much better breaking. To me it doesn't seem like I have to push very hard on the rear break peddle to stop or hold it while sitting at a stop light, but everyone has different physical limitations. Maybe there are some who need reduced effort due to leg strength issues, I used to squat 500# at one time so I don't have much problem in that dept.

I haven't been able to lock up my rears on the '09 TG. Maybe I have to look into the retro's. Most of my braking is with the fronts except in hard cornering then I use the rears only, which you don't want to lock them up. :icon_warped: :icon_patriot:

TheJimer 04-23-2010 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Boom (Post 6603905)

BOOM; we share the same “urk”; there are a couple stop light in town that are on top of a hill and I have to stand on the rear brake to prevent the TG from rolling backwards downhill.

Lets see if you folks can guess the two word phrase the H-D dealer used when I complained about the problem…
Here’ a hint: "T_ _ _ _’_ N_ _ _ _ _ _"! :icon_smallest:

fogrider 04-23-2010 10:31 AM

I was on the freeway doing 75 behind 5 cars last week when a dog jumped out in front of traffic stopping traffic. We all had to lock up. After calming down I realized that we slid straight and true, the brakes worked perfect, and the way this trike handled was great.

SEAlaskan 04-23-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by TheJimer (Post 6609844)
BOOM; we share the same “urk”; there are a couple stop light in town that are on top of a hill and I have to stand on the rear brake to prevent the TG from rolling backwards downhill.

Lets see if you folks can guess the two word phrase the H-D dealer used when I complained about the problem…
Here’ a hint: "T_ _ _ _’_ N_ _ _ _ _ _"! :icon_smallest:

That wouldn't "THAT'S NORMAL" would it? :icon_werd:

Glyder 04-23-2010 10:45 AM

I can lock up the rears....I do it once in awhile cause I get sick of hearing them squeal and it helps for a little while...it takes a lot of pressure to do it though.

TheJimer 04-23-2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan (Post 6609878)
That wouldn't "THAT'S NORMAL" would it? :icon_werd:

Buch; you win! How on earth did you ever guess?

Wouldn’t you just love to bounce a check or stop payment to the local Harley dealer and when they call to complain :icon_hyper:tell them…
THAT’s NORMAL!:icon_call:

oldmsocko 04-23-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by TheJimer (Post 6610956)

Wouldn’t you just love to bounce a check or stop payment to the local Harley dealer and when they call to complain :icon_hyper:tell them…

I really get tired of that phrase.

SEAlaskan 04-23-2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheJimer (Post 6610956)

Don't hold your breath but every once-in-a-while I get it right. :icon_dunce: The teachers are still scratching their heads. :icon_doh:

SEAlaskan 04-23-2010 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldmsocko (Post 6611543)
I really get tired of that phrase.

Ya, you'd think they would have invented a new phrase by now. :icon_doh:
Butch

SEAlaskan 04-23-2010 07:12 PM

THEJIMER!! Yesterday and this morning I've been using the Rejex & Adam's Detailler on the trike the last couple of day's, infact I had get out and ride this afternoon before we loss the sunsine and 50* temp. Tomorrow it's suppose to cloud over. I was hopping the Rejex would get rid of the finger imprints in the soft paint on the trunk door, but it didn't so I'll have to get some fine rubbing compound and work that area I guess. I think the Rejex & Adam's will be the perfect combo for this wet area. Thank You I like it :icon_goofygrin:
Butch

oldmsocko 04-23-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan (Post 6611886)
Butch

It's as bad as the phrase "the check is in the mail".

TheJimer 04-23-2010 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan (Post 6611886)
Butch

I guess they figure that they don’t have to change their standard phrase; after all, this one has worked so well for so long. It’s our fault as consumers; we know that they are insulting our intelligence by telling us “That’s Normal” but how many of us have ever looked them in the eye and said you’re full of crap…
”DON’T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE BY TELLING ME THAT’s NORMAL”?

TheJimer 04-23-2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan (Post 6611943)
THEJIMER!! Yesterday and this morning I've been using the Rejex & Adam's Detailler on the trike the last couple of day's, infact I had get out and ride this afternoon before we loss the sunsine and 50* temp. Tomorrow it's suppose to cloud over. I was hopping the Rejex would get rid of the finger imprints in the soft paint on the trunk door, but it didn't so I'll have to get some fine rubbing compound and work that area I guess. I think the Rejex & Adam's will be the perfect combo for this wet area. Thank You I like it :icon_goofygrin:
Butch

Buch; I’m glad that these products are working for you. I have a couple hundred coats of Adams Detail on my bike and now this is bug season in the great southwest so when I come home after a ride I don’t wash the bike I just Adams Detail the bugs off with a bug scrub and in a half hour or so I’m good to go.

msocko3 04-24-2010 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by oldmsocko (Post 6608661)
That's not very much weight. I use that much just to warm up.:icon_smile:

Must be those bionic knees.:p

Performance Machine 04-26-2010 03:13 PM

Trike Brake System Testing

Check out this blog post about our Stage 1 Brake Kit testing results...
http://www.custommotorcyclepartsblog...ystem-testing/
[youtube] <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0mO97Pne-g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0mO97Pne-g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object [/youtube]

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/DSC02084.jpg

msocko3 04-27-2010 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Performance Machine (Post 6625695)
Check out this blog post about our Stage 1 Brake Kit testing results...
http://www.custommotorcyclepartsblog...ystem-testing/

I read your blog and the only thing I question is you state in your blog that your techs were unable to lock up the rear brakes. Either my dad and I got good ones or you might want to get your techs a Gym membership. I can lock mine up with no problem and I know my dad has had his locked up also, and he had bad knees at the time. I can tell you the rear tires make lots of noise when they squeal from the brakes being locked up because when I did it I had people stop in their tracks and looks for the source of the noise. I agree the factory rear brakes could use some improvement and should improve a great deal with a better pad material.

PopDukes 04-28-2010 10:00 AM

The only thing I can add is that it now takes very little pressure to stop using just the rears when tested. I love their feel and do feel safer with them. It also stopped the rear sqeaking!

I do use both front and rear when needing a quicker stop. Fronts primarily.

At the RiverRun this last weekend I did have PM techs check my install and all is good to them. They also offered a 20% discount on the wheels, sooooo, like I do, making sure the Kids don't get all my income, I did order a set of Riveria style wheels with the front matching rotors. Will probably take 4-6 weeks to receive.

Again, the bike ran great with my recent nods. UltraCooler etc. Even when temps hit the upper 80's the oil temp did not exceed 210. Still have externalk heat issues but tolerable. Would like to where shorts some day with my TG??

SEAlaskan 04-28-2010 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PopDukes (Post 6635314)
The only thing I can add is that it now takes very little pressure to stop using just the rears when tested. I love their feel and do feel safer with them. It also stopped the rear sqeaking!

I do use both front and rear when needing a quicker stop. Fronts primarily.

At the RiverRun this last weekend I did have PM techs check my install and all is good to them. They also offered a 20% discount on the wheels, sooooo, like I do, making sure the Kids don't get all my income, I did order a set of Riveria style wheels with the front matching rotors. Will probably take 4-6 weeks to receive.

Again, the bike ran great with my recent nods. UltraCooler etc. Even when temps hit the upper 80's the oil temp did not exceed 210. Still have externalk heat issues but tolerable. Would like to where shorts some day with my TG??

Can't wait to see some pictures of your new wheels when you get them on. The trike above with the Performance Wrath wheels looks great. Although I do have a problem with the thin side walls since we depend so much on those side wall for a softer ride. But it does look great.
Butch

PopDukes 04-28-2010 11:16 PM

I believe the photo PM posted was their 16's not the stock 15's which is what I ordered. I am keeping the stock tires for now!

msocko3 04-29-2010 12:23 AM

Still have externalk heat issues but tolerable. Would like to where shorts some day with my TG??

I can tell you from painfull experience you might not want to wear shorts, or make sure your carefull. Last year the wife and I were in Wellsboro with my 06 Ultra when we decided we both wanted something to drink from the store. The store was a quick walk away but I was feeling lazy so I jumped on the bike with my shorts on. When I got to the store I got off on the high side like I do most of the time and burnt the heck out of the inside of my right calf on the hot exhaust. I won't wear shorts on a Harley anymore, to many exposed hot surfaces to get a good burn from.

Boom 04-29-2010 06:35 AM

Would like to where shorts some day with my TG??

I'm sure some day H-D will sell a special space-age lotion that you can spread on your legs for heat protection and an SPF of 500! It will sell for 80 bucks an ounce to go with your 220 cu. in. air-cooled EPA trike engine. But, guess what, they will also get the "potato-potato" idle back in the engine with a special controlled ECM. How's that for imagination? :icon_clapclap:

RedDog10 06-01-2014 04:41 PM

I have read some of your posts in the past regarding Performance Maching and Triglide rear brakes. I have to tell you, I disagree with some of what you write, I have a 2010 TriGkide and I think the stock HD brakes are worthless. I think they require an abnormal amount of pressure to get them to do anything and locking them up is something only Godzilla could accomplish. Im not an old man out of shape. Not onl am I in exceptional good health and shape for a 68 yo man, I exercise dailt besides being an MSF RiderCoach training soldiers to ride daily, it is my full time job for the Army.
I installed a PM system and I am having some problem with it not responding as it should. When it works they are great but there have been a few times when I applied rear brakes and nothinghappened, I am looking into it.

Raxus 06-01-2014 05:21 PM

Glad my '14 works great :D

Rax

Boom 06-01-2014 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog10 (Post 12803447)
I installed a PM system and I am having some problem with it not responding as it should. When it works they are great but there have been a few times when I applied rear brakes and nothinghappened, I am looking into it.

Can you be a bit more specific? Was it the stage I kit? Are you using original rotors? I understand PM had a problem with the rear master cylinder but has been corrected (??)
I replaced my 2010 rotors with Lyndall rotors/pads but the calipers are still inefficient.

RedDog10 06-02-2014 08:34 AM

I think the stock rear brakes on my Tri Glide are worthless, I must be right in that if you check out a 2014 Harley changed the caliper's to a larger size, and improved Performance. If there was not a problem they would not have made such an improvement.
I had Performance Machine Stage 1 kit installed on my 2010 TriGlide. Before it even left the shop the service manager called to tell me we had been sent a bad Master Cylinder. When the parts manager called Performance Machine he was told to send it back and they would rebuild it, I said no deal, I purchased a new system and I wasn't going to accept repaired parts before the bike even left the shop. After so back and forth bickering over PM policy and me telling the HD dealer to return the whole system and reinstall my stock brake kit. PM must have changed their policy because they sent a new Master cylinder and it arrived several days later. No customer concerns there, you will get it when the camel delivery service gets there.
Now that I have had the bike back a month, I can say with confidence that when the brakes work it is a remarkable improvement over the stock brakes because I don't have to stand up on the rear brake pedal to get a stop.
BUT as I said, when it works, there have been 4 instances when I have applied rear brake and nothing happens. Its so far been ok because I was only moving at 10 or 15 mph, turning into a parking lot. It happened twice yesterday, that makes 6 times I have had no brakes. So I am off to the HD dealer this afternoon to have the brakes checked out.
I started this process in April so I would have plenty of time to make sure all works before my 5000 mile vacation trip in one month to Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario and return to Tennessee.
I have not so far had good luck with Performance Machines attitude towards customer service, the install cost me $400.00 more than had been estimated and now I am headed back into the shop to get it checked out and is sounds like it is the master cylinder that is bad.
Like I said, when they work it is great, but my concern is when I need to use them will they work or not. Not a good situation to be in.

RedDog10 06-02-2014 08:49 AM

STage 1 install reply

Originally Posted by Boom (Post 12803966)
Can you be a bit more specific? Was it the stage I kit? Are you using original rotors? I understand PM had a problem with the rear master cylinder but has been corrected (??)
I replaced my 2010 rotors with Lyndall rotors/pads but the calipers are still inefficient.

The Stage one kit is a new Master cylinder, two calipers and brake lines, using the original rotors.
The stage two kit requires you to purchase new wheels and tires as the rotors are 18" I believe.
I wasn't aware that PM had a problem with their master cylinder as you mention otherwise I would not have done this swap.
I am experiencing problems as you can see in my recent posts.
I can tell you that when the rear brakes work it is a remarkable increase in stopping ability over the stock brakes. But my concern is at what point will I have a brake failure, not something I can ride confidently with.
I know that I am not pleased with the tech person I spoke with at Pm and my HD dealer had some issues with someone there as well. If they are experiencing problems with their product it seems like they would want to go out of their way to accommodate riders who are experiencing problems with their product.

msocko3 06-02-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog10 (Post 12803447)
I have read some of your posts in the past regarding Performance Maching and Triglide rear brakes. I have to tell you, I disagree with some of what you write, I have a 2010 TriGkide and I think the stock HD brakes are worthless. I think they require an abnormal amount of pressure to get them to do anything and locking them up is something only Godzilla could accomplish. Im not an old man out of shape. Not onl am I in exceptional good health and shape for a 68 yo man, I exercise dailt besides being an MSF RiderCoach training soldiers to ride daily, it is my full time job for the Army.

What can I say, I guess my dad must be Godzilla with double knee replacement, or you need to spend a bit more time in the gym:icon_razz:. The stock rear brakes can be locked up, I did it on the 2010 I used to own and my dad who has had double knee replacement has also done it on his 09. Are the rear brakes the best, no, can they be improved, you bet, should Harley be ashamed, absolutely.

I see you have read this thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...ar-brakes.html which I think documents the problem you are experiencing with the PM brake system. I'm betting your master cylinder is getting hot which is causing brake fade.

RedDog10 06-04-2014 07:18 AM

So I took my Trike back to my HD shop and they are going to try bleeding the brake lines to see if that may be the problem. I also contacted PM and their tech guy sent me a quick reply email stating that could be the problem also. I will post the outcome, I too am hoping that is all it is because I was most impressed with the stopping ability. I have nerve damage in both legs, cause undetermined, most likely from working you most of my life in the landscaping business, that is why I needed to purchase a trike, holding up a large dresser is not feasible. Workin out wouldn't be of much help.

RedDog10 06-09-2014 06:21 PM

Performance Machine

SO my saga continues. The HD service manager called me today to tell me that when the service tech rode my bike the rear brakes failed and when he returned to the shop the master cylinder was leaking so apparently he contacted Performance Machine and they are sending a replacement. What has me miffed about the whole thing is that I started this process in March allowing plenty of time to have any bugs worked out before I head out on my long awaited trip thru the Atlantic proviences of Canada which comes up in three weeks, I sure hope I can make it happen or I will be upset. They say three is a charm so maybe the third master cylinder will work.

msocko3 06-10-2014 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by RedDog10 (Post 12839505)
SO my saga continues. The HD service manager called me today to tell me that when the service tech rode my bike the rear brakes failed and when he returned to the shop the master cylinder was leaking so apparently he contacted Performance Machine and they are sending a replacement. What has me miffed about the whole thing is that I started this process in March allowing plenty of time to have any bugs worked out before I head out on my long awaited trip thru the Atlantic proviences of Canada which comes up in three weeks, I sure hope I can make it happen or I will be upset. They say three is a charm so maybe the third master cylinder will work.

I hope it all works out for you, I wouldn't hold my breath though. That PM master cylinder is way to close to the exhaust for its own good, HD spaced their master cylinder out away from the front cylinder pipe for a reason. I'll bet its running at 600 degrees on a hot day.

RedDog10 06-16-2014 11:47 AM

master cylinder

I don't have the overheating problem yet, I can't get past them leaking.