Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

H-d bs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
There is also stong evidence that it was repainted at the factory as the frame mounts are Merlot in color.
The MoCo has been known to reprocess blemished parts. I've read on another sight where a painter has found more than one color on a part that he was refinishing on a few occasions. However there is no excuse for orange peel or shoddy paint work on a $30,000+ trike. I hope they step up to the plate and make things right.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Well I took my 2011 Tri to the dealer here on Tuesday for the factory rep to inspect yesterday. The Vivid Black paint on my rear box and fenders is quite orange peeled. There is also stong evidence that it was repainted at the factory as the frame mounts are Merlot in color. After hearing nothing for most of the day, I called the service manager about 3pm. He was very non comittal and offered no opinion as he was just being the "middle man". It should be noted that I did not purchase the bike from this dealer, but the MoCo wanted to inspect it there to save me a 40 mile trip to my selling dealer.

I then asked the service manager what the factory inspector had determined. I was told the he was not very pleased with what he had seen and had taken photos to send to the MoCo. The plan is to send the parts out to a local custom painter that is well respected here and to have them refinished. I'm supposed to find out today if the inspector got the approval from the MoCo to do the work and/or, if they are going to keep the Tri until it has been refinished. I may be able to pick her up today and return at a later date once arrangements have been made. I'll keep everyone posted.
Sounds like MOCO’s factory reps are just “go betweens” with no real decision making authority.

No wonder none of my “fix it” requests have never been approved by a factory rep.

Jim

Old 12-03-2010, 05:22 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Sounds like MOCO’s factory reps are just “go betweens” with no real decision making authority.

No wonder none of my “fix it” requests have never been approved by a factory rep.

Jim
The MoCo has a very strange management process. It is designed to keep us from getting anything fixed under warranty or is that their whole purpose?

Mike

Old 12-03-2010, 07:56 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Antiquated Business Model

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
The MoCo has a very strange management process. It is designed to keep us from getting anything fixed under warranty or is that their whole purpose?

Mike
I think change at Harley is like turning the Titanic on a dime. We spoiled them before the economic crash of 08. Selling loaded up scooter's and tons of extra's to the baby boomers and making them wade through a ton of clothing and frills to get at it. Elitist atitude and getting warranty work is like pulling their teeth. The boom years are over, they just have not waked up and smelled the coffee yet.

A lot of my friends take their Harley's to a local metric dealer for service! Take your juice in and he will do the service for $50 bucks and that includes the clutch lube and adjustment if necessary. Looks it over and if they find anything they will tell you about it, don't mind a bit if you take it back to your HD dealer and try to get it fixed. He knows if they balk on the warranty or the labor is to much you will be back.
He knows I won't buy a motorcycle from him but sold me an ATV since HD don't make one, he can sell me a generator or a trash pump all branded with the same logo as the motorcycles he sells. Seems the metrics diverisfied and he don't turn away any service business. He will haggle on the price of a bike and it's a real 10% off on parts, not some complicated point system. He don't have a chinese made clothing line to wade through when I go in there. They try to get you under warranty when they can, I assume it pays the same for them. The manufacturer must give the dealer more latitude on making warranty calls, probably another ploy to gain customer satisfaction in tough times.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The company needs money.One way to make money is not to spend any.They know we will buy another or not buy another so gut the warranty budget and make money.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the word today after Olga from MoCo customer service called me about 4:15pm yesterday. I explained to her that the bike had been at the dealer since Tuesday and that I still could not a firm answer from anyone as to what would be done. She promised to call our local service manager this morning to resolve the communication issue.

Lo and behold, I get a phone call around 11am from the service manager after I had just been to the dealership to unload my personal gear out of the tour pack. The MoCo factory rep has authorized the repainting of the box and both rear fenders (the tour pack is O.K.).
They will disassemble the rear end and have the parts to the custom painter they say, no later than Monday afternoon. I spoke with the painter this morning and he is going to add a bit of custom work that I'll have to pay for, but assures me they will knock the job out. So, the saga begins and we'll see how long it takes to get the completed bike back.

Is there still hope yet? Seems as though the MoCo is concerned and are making an effort to make this right. We now have to see how long we'll be down and what the finished project looks like. At least it appears that customer service and the service rep cares, I'll keep you all posted.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by coupe55
I think change at Harley is like turning the Titanic on a dime. We spoiled them before the economic crash of 08. Selling loaded up scooter's and tons of extra's to the baby boomers and making them wade through a ton of clothing and frills to get at it. Elitist atitude and getting warranty work is like pulling their teeth. The boom years are over, they just have not waked up and smelled the coffee yet.

A lot of my friends take their Harley's to a local metric dealer for service! Take your juice in and he will do the service for $50 bucks and that includes the clutch lube and adjustment if necessary. Looks it over and if they find anything they will tell you about it, don't mind a bit if you take it back to your HD dealer and try to get it fixed. He knows if they balk on the warranty or the labor is to much you will be back.
He knows I won't buy a motorcycle from him but sold me an ATV since HD don't make one, he can sell me a generator or a trash pump all branded with the same logo as the motorcycles he sells. Seems the metrics diverisfied and he don't turn away any service business. He will haggle on the price of a bike and it's a real 10% off on parts, not some complicated point system. He don't have a chinese made clothing line to wade through when I go in there. They try to get you under warranty when they can, I assume it pays the same for them. The manufacturer must give the dealer more latitude on making warranty calls, probably another ploy to gain customer satisfaction in tough times.
My business relationship with Harley-Davidson dates back 42 years and 7 Harleys. I always considered Harley-Davidson to be one of America’s great corporations. I was loyal to the brand because:
1) I felt that they produced a quality product.
2) I felt that if there was ever a problem, Harley would make it right.

This has been my experience up until recent years. It may just be coincidence but it seems to me like product quality and customer service along with the whole culture that made Harley a great corporation, deteriorated shortly after H-D went public. I think that the emphases of customer satisfaction shifted to stock holder satisfaction. The sad truth is: neither group is happy right now!

Jim

Old 12-03-2010, 04:11 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by T K Glider
The company needs money.One way to make money is not to spend any.They know we will buy another or not buy another so gut the warranty budget and make money.
I agree, but that bean counter approach could very well turn out to be penny wise and dollar foolish. Many just on this forum have stated that they would never purchase another Harley because of the culture shift in recent years. I think that MOCO has stretched customer brand loyalty about as far as it will go!

Jim

Old 12-03-2010, 04:15 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quality and service also took a nose dive in the early 70,s when AMF took over.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by icebite1
Quality and service also took a nose dive in the early 70,s when AMF took over.
You are absolutely correct! That was a train wreck looking for a place to happen. Everyone saw that coming except Harley.

Jim

Quick Reply: H-d bs...