Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike Lift or Jack

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
agntjim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

msocko3 - the Trike extension for the Hardy brings the width to 52 1/4" or right at the 'tire' width of the Trike. Any problems loading, or having a bit of hang over the edge with the tires? There are a couple of other lifts I've been looking at the bring the width to 59", i.e., Quality Lifts as well as K & L Lifts. Thoughts?

Jimmer - Great set up, but I don't have anywhere near the height in this house.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by agntjim
msocko3 - the Trike extension for the Hardy brings the width to 52 1/4" or right at the 'tire' width of the Trike. Any problems loading, or having a bit of hang over the edge with the tires? There are a couple of other lifts I've been looking at the bring the width to 59", i.e., Quality Lifts as well as K & L Lifts. Thoughts?
I haven't measured the trike extensions but your right the width is about the same as the TG, I haven't had any problems with a tire hanging over.

There are plenty of other quality lifts out there, just make sure they have the capacity to handle a 1,200 pound trike.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
agntjim
Intermediate

Thanks! PERFECT picture answering my question!!!! Yep, making sure they'll handle the 1200 lbs. Also, looking at a Quality Lift that handles 2000 lbs. and width at 59", but now I know the Handy will do just fine.

Hey, what capacity compressor do you use. I know it's got to have 100 psi, but does the capacity make much difference?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I haven't measured the trike extensions but your right the width is about the same as the TG, I haven't had any problems with a tire hanging over.

There are plenty of other quality lifts out there, just make sure they have the capacity to handle a 1,200 pound trike.
Mike, I see what you mean about ceiling height. It doesn't look like you could put a hair between your windshield and the ceiling.

Jim

Old 12-01-2010, 04:37 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Mike, I see what you mean about ceiling height. It doesn't look like you could put a hair between your windshield and the ceiling.

Jim
Jim: The windshield is close but not as close as the picture indicates. You are looking at if from an angle which makes it look closer. There is probably 5 to 6 inches of clearance. Have to take our time raising it or we could run the windshield into the ceiling.

Mike

Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by agntjim
Hey, what capacity compressor do you use. I know it's got to have 100 psi, but does the capacity make much difference?
The one we're using is a old 2hp Sears I believe 30 gallon which gets to 100 psi, lifts it with no problem.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Like my dad said, its about 6" away. The ceiling height in the garage is 8'.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:17 AM
agntjim
Intermediate

msocko3 (Mike) - That's great. I'm really leaning toward the Hardy, just waiting for a price bid from the Quality Lift guy.

Thanks again for everyone's expertise, advice and especially the quick responses! It's in sincerely appreciated.

Oh, by the way, my H-D dealer is very interested in the results I get from the Fuel Moto head pipes. The head mechanic, a really good guy, called me and said he'd appreciate finding out what kind of relief I get, when summer comes back to Illinois. 25 degrees, a 25 mph wind this morning along with snow flurries, so I think it might be a while.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agntjim, I think if you read thru the post about our "heat" mods, and i know there are a lot of them, that you will find that the head pipe change is one of the best mods but needs to be done along with the others to get the best heat reduction. In other words doing one is not gonna do it, everything has to add up. IMO head pipe, stage one, and some way to richen the fuel mixture is bare minimum.

Last edited by icebite1; 12-01-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM
agntjim
Intermediate

ice - we're going with Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, an SE heavy breather, all synthetic lubes, and we're using an SE Race Tuner to dyno (long story there). We originally tried just using the OEM head pipes with the cat removed, at the suggestion of an H-D power division engineer. That helped, but right foot still roasted on hot days. So we're going to try the Fuel Moto pipes, and of course re-dyno after the change. So we're progressing through this one alteration at a time. We've considered the Baker oil pan change, however, the research with personal contacts seems to indicate it's not worth the expense. We're also talking with the New Level Motorsport folks about HeatShield Products which I've used in the past on the funny car we use to run.

Some of the suggestions on this site have been invaluable. I wish we all lived in the same area, we could really have some good times and some great debates I'm sure.

As always, to all the posts here, thanks for the input, thoughts, ideas and most of the direct help!!

Quick Reply: Trike Lift or Jack