Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Question for you TG guys and gals

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, and when I get home from work I'll check that other link out. I had a friend comment that I'm to young for a trike, but just something I kinda like the looks of. I was also thinking of looking for a kit to convert the softy, but I'm sure that will run a bit of $.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

I just got to the point where I didn't feel like "wrestling" a fully loaded Ultra 2up anymore. I'm really enjoying the Trike; I'd have a hard time going back to 2 wheels

Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
pork
Cruiser
Thumbs up Always pros and cons

You have gotten good advice here already. I would like to add a couple of thoughts.

First, TKanaley is right, I think, about many if not most people just riding their TriGlide as delivered. My wife's TG has only been modified with a reduced effort clutch mechanism. We have done nothing to improve power or braking, or to reduce heat, and she has put about 14000 miles on it in just over a year. We spend most of our time in Texas and Louisiana, so we ride in some heat, too. We have also gone on some cross country trips through mountain and desert country. She just uses the highway pegs to get her legs up away from the heat and goes on down the road. You can even do that in stop & go traffic. Someone else will no doubt chime in that the heat is destroying the engine, but that remains to be seen.

Someone else commented that he thought the trike would feel like a motorcycle. If he meant feel like a two wheeled motorcycle, that is wrong, in my opinion. The trike does not lean, so it does not feel at all like a bike. It's still fun, and it's easy to ride, but it's very different.

Since you live on Oahu, you are not going to be taking any long trips, so pulling a trailer is not likely something you would do. The storage space in the tour pack and trunk will more than likely come in handy for carrying rain gear, beach gear, or snorkel gear, or packing a lunch, though. Also, it will be nice not to have to balance the trike when you are in stop & go traffic, which you no doubt will be.

Finally, a trike can be a nice option even for someone who has no disability. My wife was doing very well riding her Road King before she traded for the trike. Now, she much prefers the trike, largely because of what someone else said about not having to worry about gravel patches, potholes in parking lots, and quick stops required by some car flying past out of nowhere.

The TriGlide is a very nice machine, and very well done overall, we think. It also will still have a full warranty, which I think you will not find with any of the conversions.

So, a trike is not much like a bike, but it has many unique and very nice advantages.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Stone1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't have a trike yet but the wife is starting to think strong about selling the two touring bikes and going to a TriGlide. We test rode one two years ago and enjoyed it. It reminded me of motorcycling and a 4 wheeler feel all in one. We have no health issues at age 50 but the wife had a serious eye injury over 30 years ago so all she sees out of her left eye is shapes. She is complaining that the Street Glide is a little much for the cornering which I think is made worse by her reduced vision. She still wants to have the ability to ride/drive and she feels the trike would give her the ability to ride for many more years. My plot is to sell my bike pay off her Street Glide, keep it for me then try to do a TriGlide. Money is a issue so we may have to settle for the TriGlide alone. I like the TriGlide so I don't think it would bother me to go to it even though I don't have a medical need.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies. I've already had a snicker from a co-worker (sport bike rider) about getting a trike. Even had a friend tell me I'm to young (31) for a trike. I'm thinking more of the fact that I never looked to hard, but don't see many (if any) trikes on the road. I'm thinking of it as it's a unique thing, and like I said I've always liked the looks of em.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trolling

Originally Posted by DirtyThirty
Thanks for all the replies. I've already had a snicker from a co-worker (sport bike rider) about getting a trike. Even had a friend tell me I'm to young (31) for a trike. I'm thinking more of the fact that I never looked to hard, but don't see many (if any) trikes on the road. I'm thinking of it as it's a unique thing, and like I said I've always liked the looks of em.

Yea! most on here are the geriatric crowd, the boomer's! The one's most likely to have the discretionary cash to lay down for one! Then again we are of the age most likely not to give a damn about what anybody thinks about what we ride. Didn't really buy one to pose on! You are kinda unique yourself, to young for a midlife crisis and probably could not afford one or the Tri Glide. We kinda like the looks of em also!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

We both rode our own bikes for years. Our health is good, We just test rode one and liked it. We found it more fun to ride the TriGlide. Sold her Heritage last fall and sold the FLHX last week, No regrets

Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do what ever fits you. Don't worry about what other folks think. Like Coupe said, we could care less what other folks think.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:31 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

I am gonna ride the 2 wheeler for a bit, but am gonna see if the dealer will let me test ride the tg. If I decide I like it when I go on my next deployment I'll look at getting one through the military auto sales.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I almost rented a triglide. The local dealer had one available for rental. I think it was a used trade in that they allowed to be rented. I don't think they had it long.

I spoke to the wife about it. We both feel it would take a lot of danger away from riding a cycle, and I feel it would be less strenuous to handle all day on trips. They're out of my price range right now.

Gotta look into the conversion kit. I know a rider locally who did that to his goldwing. I'm going to look him up.

Quick Reply: Question for you TG guys and gals