Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide Parade Fan? Raise the tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:12 PM
h01waterman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tri Glide Parade Fan? Raise the tank?

I did a search of the forum and did not find an answer to this question.

Why does Harley Davidson say that the parade fan does not fit the or is not for the Tri Glide?

I have a fan on my Ultra Limited and want to put on on my wife's Tri. The catalog says not for trike models. We have noticed in traffic that the EMTS kicks in right away at stops for red lights or backed up traffic. It just seems to make sense that we want to help push the heat out from under the gas tank. Is there any known reason NOT to put a fan on this machine?

It makes sense that the air flow is different since there are extra wheels and fenders behind the engine. This is why I figure that helping move the air out of the "bubble" would help make the engine last longer. If we get it now and put it on it will still be a part of the new bike's warranty but I am not too sure that this is true if Harley says the part is not for trike models.

Also I saw a kit that raises the front of the tank. This should help too, right?

I get it that we are sitting on a fire breathing machine and that heat is part if the process. We just don't want the motor to self destruct when we get stuck in a traffic jam.

What are your thoughts and feedback?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

The parade fan is designed for when the bike is at rest, such as stuck in traffic. As long as the brackets fit and the fan physically fits the bike, I would not have any reservations about putting it on a trike if I owned one.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Parade Fan

Originally Posted by Morris9982
The parade fan is designed for when the bike is at rest, such as stuck in traffic. As long as the brackets fit and the fan physically fits the bike, I would not have any reservations about putting it on a trike if I owned one.
The HD Parade fan will fit, but is pricy! The Lanale Parade Fan is about half the price and moves a decent amount of air! You need to upgrade the oil cooler and if she has not done so, dump that catalytic converter "2010-2011.

My EITMS never kicked on in traffic all last summer! We are talking some 90-95 degree days in July and August for long term idle periods!

I will suggest you read the ABC's of cooling thread, the fan and the cooler are but two of the mods you will need to make!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupe55
The HD Parade fan will fit, but is pricy! The Lanale Parade Fan is about half the price and moves a decent amount of air! You need to upgrade the oil cooler and if she has not done so, dump that catalytic converter "2010-2011.

My EITMS never kicked on in traffic all last summer! We are talking some 90-95 degree days in July and August for long term idle periods!

I will suggest you read the ABC's of cooling thread, the fan and the cooler are but two of the mods you will need to make!
What he said! I have the Lenale parade fan and UltraCool oil cooler with fan. I switch them both on (wired to acc. switch) when in slow traffic. Works for me!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 AM
h01waterman
Cruiser

Thanks for the quick replies. We are interested in the HD original products because of the Warranty issues. Since we live on a boat I do not do a lot of my own wrenching. It would not be good (I think) to have after market products just in case something does go wrong I do not want to give the dealer an easy out to charge me for repairs..... Yes the HD fan is costly, but it is insurance for future repairs. This is especially true since the tsunami hit us and took away our docks. We now are living "on the hook"! I do not have time to do my wrenching on my own bike(s) it is more important to have transportation....

Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my tri glide I wanted to have the dealer install the fan, but couldn't. Even the service manual was no help. Now the US Park Police has a Tri Glide that was shown in a parade, I can't help wondering how they delt with this....

Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
When I bought my tri glide I wanted to have the dealer install the fan, but couldn't. Even the service manual was no help. Now the US Park Police has a Tri Glide that was shown in a parade, I can't help wondering how they delt with this....
Why don't you consider installing it yourself? It is not a difficult installation. Remove the horn, mount two brackets, and wire it up...

Old 04-09-2011, 04:24 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There shouldnt be any issue with installing the HD parade fan on a Triglide. I have a HD parade on my 08 Roadglide with a trike kit and its the same engine dimensions thats in the Triglide. The horn will have to be relocated to the down tube of the frame.

The HD fan comes with the needed brackets to mount it to the engine. It is wired using the supplied thermostat but I wired mine with a switch I installed on my handlebar so I can turn it on myself instead of relying on the thermostat

Old 04-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
There shouldnt be any issue with installing the HD parade fan on a Triglide. I have a HD parade on my 08 Roadglide with a trike kit and its the same engine dimensions thats in the Triglide. The horn will have to be relocated to the down tube of the frame.

The HD fan comes with the needed brackets to mount it to the engine. It is wired using the supplied thermostat but I wired mine with a switch I installed on my handlebar so I can turn it on myself instead of relying on the thermostat
If you wanted, you could use the thermostat and a manual override switch. That's what I did to mine.

Install the thermostat as per instructions and wire a switch as a jumper between the thermostat wires.

That way it will come on and go off automatically if you don't think to turn it on and off, or you can override it with the switch and turn it on before it starts getting too hot. You'll just have to remember to turn if off.

You could also wire a warning light using the two fan leads to power the light. I bought an LED panel light from Radio Shack to do just that but haven't put it on yet.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM
h01waterman
Cruiser

Thanks again for the replies. I still have not gotten the question answered about why Harley Davidson will not apply this product to the trike. It clearly says in the catalog :not for trikes.

Quick Reply: Tri Glide Parade Fan? Raise the tank?