Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/671338-engine-idle-temperature-management-strategy.html)

Roadrunner14 07-28-2011 09:16 PM

Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy

It looks like Harley is addressing the engine heat problem by implementing the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy. Any out there with a 2012 TG and can give us their feedback on this system. Apparently it will cut out the rear pipe when idling. How well does it work? Thanks! .....Bob

FLTR2008TRIKE 07-28-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner14 (Post 8629765)
It looks like Harley is addressing the engine heat problem by implementing the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy. Any out there with a 2012 TG and can give us their feedback on this system. Apparently it will cut out the rear pipe when idling. How well does it work? Thanks! .....Bob

This has been a "Harley" fix since 08. It doesnt help in my opinion, only makes your engine run rough when its engaged.

coupe55 07-28-2011 09:43 PM

Old Tech

Originally Posted by Roadrunner14 (Post 8629765)

Harley has had EITMS for several years, not much of a fix in my book. You can retrofit back to 07 but it is still just a bandaid and not the cure for the heat problem.
Best case situation is when you can get the engine running cool enough at idle on hot days that the EITMS does not kick in!

See the abc's of heat control by the Wizard and others comments on the subject!

oldmsocko 07-29-2011 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by coupe55 (Post 8629874)
Harley has had EITMS for several years, not much of a fix in my book. You can retrofit back to 07 but it is still just a bandaid and not the cure for the heat problem.
Best case situation is when you can get the engine running cool enough at idle on hot days that the EITMS does not kick in!

See the abc's of heat control by the Wizard and others comments on the subject!

You are correct Coupe. If I remember correctly I had that on my 06 Ultra. It is hell to get "OLD" and have memory lasp.

msocko3 07-29-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by oldmsocko (Post 8630404)
You are correct Coupe. If I remember correctly I had that on my 06 Ultra. It is hell to get "OLD" and have memory lasp.

The EITMS as we know it now was implemented with the 07's. Our 06's would skip fire a cylinder instead of just shutting it down all together.

coupe55 07-29-2011 09:23 AM

Heat

EITMS is as close as the MOCO will ever come to admitting they have a heat problem. I mean if they are not hot why do you need an EITMS?

I feel as most that really know what they are doing the trick is to fix your engine so it don't get to the heat levels that demand the EITMS cool your engine down. If you have not done any cooling mods by all means make sure that EITMS is engaged, bare minimum switch to an oil that has a higer flash point "Higher heat tolerance before breaking down" for a chance at extended engine life.

On hot days the EITMS is Harley's fix for the heat, a bandaid or not it would be better to use it than not have it...

Bubba49 07-29-2011 10:49 AM

Also, when the EITMS kicks in it feels and sounds like your sitting on a John Deere tractor. First time it happened to me I almost shit myself at a stoplight. I concur, that EITMS is just about worthless as a heat management strategy. What good is cutting off a cylinder when you're sitting still at a stoplight? The front cyclinder is still hot as a piece of lava when the rear cylinder cuts off. EITMS also does not address the heat issue when your cruising along at 70-75MPH (my 11 FLHXX gets so hot at highway speeds I sometimes wear knee chaps).

Bubba

coupe55 07-29-2011 11:19 AM

Memory Loss

Originally Posted by oldmsocko (Post 8630404)

The memory lapse could be Root Beer poisoning over time, that's why I welched on the root beer bet!....:icon_beerchug::icon_laugh:

fogrider 07-29-2011 02:41 PM

The rear cylinder basically turns in to a air compressor pump and depending on the ambeint air temperature the EITMS probably drops the temps on the rear cylinder, which is always the hottest 20 or 30 degrees quick enough to at least help. Dont blip your throttle, let it idle till you move off.

screwball 07-29-2011 04:58 PM

First thing I did when I took delivery of the '09 was to have the EITMS disabled. Also had it turned off in my '08 E-Glide.