Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Roadrunner14
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy

It looks like Harley is addressing the engine heat problem by implementing the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy. Any out there with a 2012 TG and can give us their feedback on this system. Apparently it will cut out the rear pipe when idling. How well does it work? Thanks! .....Bob

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner14
It looks like Harley is addressing the engine heat problem by implementing the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy. Any out there with a 2012 TG and can give us their feedback on this system. Apparently it will cut out the rear pipe when idling. How well does it work? Thanks! .....Bob

This has been a "Harley" fix since 08. It doesnt help in my opinion, only makes your engine run rough when its engaged.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old Tech

Originally Posted by Roadrunner14
Harley has had EITMS for several years, not much of a fix in my book. You can retrofit back to 07 but it is still just a bandaid and not the cure for the heat problem.
Best case situation is when you can get the engine running cool enough at idle on hot days that the EITMS does not kick in!

See the abc's of heat control by the Wizard and others comments on the subject!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:56 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
Harley has had EITMS for several years, not much of a fix in my book. You can retrofit back to 07 but it is still just a bandaid and not the cure for the heat problem.
Best case situation is when you can get the engine running cool enough at idle on hot days that the EITMS does not kick in!

See the abc's of heat control by the Wizard and others comments on the subject!
You are correct Coupe. If I remember correctly I had that on my 06 Ultra. It is hell to get "OLD" and have memory lasp.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:07 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
You are correct Coupe. If I remember correctly I had that on my 06 Ultra. It is hell to get "OLD" and have memory lasp.
The EITMS as we know it now was implemented with the 07's. Our 06's would skip fire a cylinder instead of just shutting it down all together.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Heat

EITMS is as close as the MOCO will ever come to admitting they have a heat problem. I mean if they are not hot why do you need an EITMS?

I feel as most that really know what they are doing the trick is to fix your engine so it don't get to the heat levels that demand the EITMS cool your engine down. If you have not done any cooling mods by all means make sure that EITMS is engaged, bare minimum switch to an oil that has a higer flash point "Higher heat tolerance before breaking down" for a chance at extended engine life.

On hot days the EITMS is Harley's fix for the heat, a bandaid or not it would be better to use it than not have it...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 424 Likes on 139 Posts

Also, when the EITMS kicks in it feels and sounds like your sitting on a John Deere tractor. First time it happened to me I almost **** myself at a stoplight. I concur, that EITMS is just about worthless as a heat management strategy. What good is cutting off a cylinder when you're sitting still at a stoplight? The front cyclinder is still hot as a piece of lava when the rear cylinder cuts off. EITMS also does not address the heat issue when your cruising along at 70-75MPH (my 11 FLHXX gets so hot at highway speeds I sometimes wear knee chaps).

Bubba

Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Memory Loss

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
The memory lapse could be Root Beer poisoning over time, that's why I welched on the root beer bet!....

Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
fogrider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear cylinder basically turns in to a air compressor pump and depending on the ambeint air temperature the EITMS probably drops the temps on the rear cylinder, which is always the hottest 20 or 30 degrees quick enough to at least help. Dont blip your throttle, let it idle till you move off.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

First thing I did when I took delivery of the '09 was to have the EITMS disabled. Also had it turned off in my '08 E-Glide.

Quick Reply: Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy