Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   2010 Tri Glide exhaust change over (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/702772-2010-tri-glide-exhaust-change-over.html)

harleynewher 10-29-2011 06:03 PM

2010 Tri Glide exhaust change over

I was thinking of changing my stock mufflers over to something a little more exciting. I noticed that the stock left muffler is different than the right side.
The right side seems to be straight through design, but the left side has a plug inside about 8" in. I was wondering if this is there for a reason?
What will work on a 2010 Tri Glide? Do I have to change the head pipes or can I just use the slip on kind of muffler?
Has any one used the Cobra Tri-Ovals on their trike and how do you like them?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Casper 10-29-2011 06:44 PM

Unless you remove the cat, mufflers will sound about the same...the cat really clogs things up...
You can cut the cat out of the stock head pipe or buy a aftermarket head pipe, Fuel Moto or Full Sac would be my choice....

scooty 10-29-2011 06:50 PM

pipes

I think most touring pipes will fit, I have the Kerkers off of my 04 Electra Glide on my 11 Tri Glide and they slip right on brackets are the same and length is the same. I also noticed that the stock pipes had different baffels but for what reason I don't know probably to equalize back pressure if one pipe is shorter than the other but I have never heard of this being an issue with replacement pipes.

screwball 10-29-2011 08:34 PM

I put Rush slip-ons with 2 1/2" baffles on the '09, and Reinhardt slip-ons on wife's '11. Reinhardts sound a bit deeper and a little louder, but neither is 'too loud', but sound a lot better than stock.

Good Luck!

grandpawmoses 10-30-2011 07:35 AM

I replaced my headpipe with the Fuelmoto stainless pipe and their Jackpot mufflers & noticed that the left side muffler has a smaller diameter internal tube than the right side. Fuelmoto said it had to do with tuning.

Boom 10-30-2011 08:44 AM

Is there something I'm missing here? About a couple years back, I got the Fuelmoto headpipe, Supertrapp SE mufflers and PC V fuel management. I don't remember anything about a "left" and "right" muffler. Never saw anything stamped on each muffler. I might be losing power if they aren't matched(?)

grandpawmoses 10-30-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Boom (Post 8988320)
Is there something I'm missing here? About a couple years back, I got the Fuelmoto headpipe, Supertrapp SE mufflers and PC V fuel management. I don't remember anything about a "left" and "right" muffler. Never saw anything stamped on each muffler. I might be losing power if they aren't matched(?)

When I ordered the pipe & mufflers they told me about the difference. When I got them I spent 30 minutes searching for a left/right marking & finally looked through them to see the smaller inside diameter of one of them.

FLTR2008TRIKE 10-30-2011 09:49 AM

Harley has been doing this for years with the right muffler having less baffling then the left on stock touring exhaust systems. It keeps the bulk of the exhaust flowing out the rightside and the baffle in the left doesnt allow "reversion" to create a decel pop but still flow some exhaust out.

If you ever are around someone who still has the stock system with dual mufflers and you put your hand behind the two mufflers while its running and have them rev the engine you will feel the difference

harleynewher 10-30-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE (Post 8988496)
Harley has been doing this for years with the right muffler having less baffling then the left on stock touring exhaust systems. It keeps the bulk of the exhaust flowing out the rightside and the baffle in the left doesnt allow "reversion" to create a decel pop but still flow some exhaust out.

If you ever are around someone who still has the stock system with dual mufflers and you put your hand behind the two mufflers while its running and have them rev the engine you will feel the difference

So if I change out my stock mufflers to after market performance mufflers that don't have the restricted left side will I get popping on deceleration?
Does the trike have to be reprogrammed?

scooty 10-30-2011 01:49 PM

pipes

I don't get any popping with mine with aftermarket pipes, all I got was a better sounding bike ! ! ! I would say pick out the pipes that you like the sound of and go for it ! ! !

FLTR2008TRIKE 10-30-2011 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by harleynewher (Post 8988955)
So if I change out my stock mufflers to after market performance mufflers that don't have the restricted left side will I get popping on deceleration?
Does the trike have to be reprogrammed?

If you keep the stock headpipe I dont think you will have any reversion because of the cataylatic converter which causes restrictions. If you go with a aftermarket headpipe that doesnt have the converter then its possible depending on the mufflers you could get some decel pop.

As a example, Im using V&H true duals and the V&H Monster Oval mufflers which flow fairly freely. I do get a small amount of decel pop around 2000 rpms but not so bad its annoying.

If you go with a open air cleaner assembly then you should get a tuner to compensate for added air flow to keep you bike from running leaner then its already programed. The ECM has a small amount of learning curve for adjustments but when you open the engine up to breath ( mufflers, air cleaner and including headpipes ) it cant make enough change to keep the engine from running too lean.

If you search some of the older posts in this forum, you will see other owner posts who had heat issues with the stock system and what they did to overcome the excessive heat

screwball 10-30-2011 05:17 PM

When we did the bikes, we changed the mufflers and intake. Also had both bikes remapped. No popping, or heat problems with either bike.

spider2 10-31-2011 12:22 PM

I put 4" rineharts on mine the day that I bought it. (2012) I like the look and the sound. I did nothing but add the slip ons. That was 4000 miles ago.

DiselDevilDog 12-08-2011 08:57 AM

Loud Slip Ons

What would you guys (advice) do if you wanted some really loud slip ons. I have a stage one with a Headquarters cam. I'm running Vance and Hines Slash Cuts now. Lets hear us coming!

Diesel

oldmsocko 12-08-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog (Post 9121742)
What would you guys (advice) do if you wanted some really loud slip ons. I have a stage one with a Headquarters cam. I'm running Vance and Hines Slash Cuts now. Lets hear us coming!

Diesel

If you want it really loud just take off the slip ons and run straight pipes.:icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

Casper 12-08-2011 02:14 PM

Still have my gutted cat 2010 exhaust header for sale!....

hdivy 12-08-2011 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by screwball (Post 8987242)
I put Rush slip-ons with 2 1/2" baffles on the '09, and Reinhardt slip-ons on wife's '11. Reinhardts sound a bit deeper and a little louder, but neither is 'too loud', but sound a lot better than stock.

Good Luck!

stock head pipe? or Cat removed?

msocko3 12-09-2011 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog (Post 9121742)

Diesel

Have you ditched the cat yet? The cat acts as a muffler, amazing how much the cat quiets things down.

screwball 12-09-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by hdivy (Post 9124453)
stock head pipe? or Cat removed?

Nope, the cats are still in both bikes. Wife and I don't have any problem with them. Don't seem to have the same heating problems others have talked about, we are both very happy with the the performance of the scoots. Both bikes did a 'lap' of the Grand Canyon, Utah, Nevada and Colorado this year and we were very happy with how they rode. We live on the desert in So. Cal, so we ride year round. Seriously, the trikes have more mileage on them than the cars. We preferred my E-Glide and her Deluxe, but somehow we got old and had the choice of Trikes or rocking chairs.... Too old for 2 wheels, way too young for rocking chairs.

bullet 10 12-09-2011 02:40 PM

Screwball, glad you like your trikes, I'm also happy with my 2010 after the 30 tooth sprocket change. I'm sure your wife has let you ride her 2011 can't you tell a lot of difference in 1st and 6th gearing over your 2009? When she is running in 6th you are probably in 5th at say 65 mpr. I know before sprocket change on mine 6th gear was not in the picture until 70 and then on fairly flat roads.

hdivy 12-10-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by screwball (Post 9125624)
Nope, the cats are still in both bikes. Wife and I don't have any problem with them. Don't seem to have the same heating problems others have talked about, we are both very happy with the the performance of the scoots. Both bikes did a 'lap' of the Grand Canyon, Utah, Nevada and Colorado this year and we were very happy with how they rode. We live on the desert in So. Cal, so we ride year round. Seriously, the trikes have more mileage on them than the cars. We preferred my E-Glide and her Deluxe, but somehow we got old and had the choice of Trikes or rocking chairs.... Too old for 2 wheels, way too young for rocking chairs.

Well my wife and me also so love the trike.. Wife never rode the bike and told me to get a Trike and she ride with me. Well I got it and we have been riding but the heat on the right side is hot on my leg...... I guess I have to buy a head pipe...

oldmsocko 12-10-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by hdivy (Post 9128409)
Well my wife and me also so love the trike.. Wife never rode the bike and told me to get a Trike and she ride with me. Well I got it and we have been riding but the heat on the right side is hot on my leg...... I guess I have to buy a head pipe...

You will be alot happier with your TG. I would say that %90 of the TG owners believe they are hot.

azwiz 12-11-2011 09:52 AM

slip-ons

whats the secret to accessing the bolts on the slip-ons?
thanks
Steve

Mr. Wizard 12-12-2011 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by azwiz (Post 9131895)
whats the secret to accessing the bolts on the slip-ons?
thanks
Steve

A 1/2" ratchet box end.

coupe55 12-12-2011 10:23 AM

Cat Killer

Originally Posted by oldmsocko (Post 9128723)
You will be alot happier with your TG. I would say that %90 of the TG owners believe they are hot.

About the same percentage say they are more comfortable to ride after you do some cooling mods! See the sticky on cooling down the Tri.

screwball 12-12-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by bullet 10 (Post 9126245)
Screwball, glad you like your trikes, I'm also happy with my 2010 after the 30 tooth sprocket change. I'm sure your wife has let you ride her 2011 can't you tell a lot of difference in 1st and 6th gearing over your 2009? When she is running in 6th you are probably in 5th at say 65 mpr. I know before sprocket change on mine 6th gear was not in the picture until 70 and then on fairly flat roads.

No, they don't feel that much different. I usually ride by the tach, not the speedo. I don't have a problem down shifting if I want to pass, or come to a long hill. We have done some clutch work on both scoots so I really don't feel much difference in take off. I've been riding for over 50 years, lots of different machines, they are all good.

You know, I had a friend that spent $3000 on some very custom and beautiful paint work. Bike was a piece of art. Jimmy always swore the bike ran better and was faster with the $3000 investment. :icon_rolleyes:

hdivy 03-17-2012 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by msocko3 (Post 9124852)
Have you ditched the cat yet? The cat acts as a muffler, amazing how much the cat quiets things down.

did u cut the cat out of your head pipe or did u get a after market pipe? if u used your stock pipe what did u have to do to run it? o2? still got them in it? I got a head pipe and Im wanting to install it asap.. Trying to get a head up first,,,,

oldmsocko 03-18-2012 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by hdivy (Post 9538008)
did u cut the cat out of your head pipe or did u get a after market pipe? if u used your stock pipe what did u have to do to run it? o2? still got them in it? I got a head pipe and Im wanting to install it asap.. Trying to get a head up first,,,,

He bought an aftermarket head pipe that was designed for a trike with no cats in it and the bungs were already installed for the 02 sensors. He purchased the head pipe from Fuelmoto.

Boom 03-18-2012 08:17 AM

I got the headpipe from Fuelmoto, PC V, and Supertrapp mufflers. O2 sensors were screwed back into the headpipe but weren't connected as per FM instructions. I used electrical tape to seal the connectors from weather.

hdivy 03-18-2012 09:12 AM

So u have to run them with o2 's unhook and not have to remap it?

Boom 03-19-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by hdivy (Post 9539268)
So u have to run them with o2 's unhook and not have to remap it?

The Power Commander V came from Fuelmoto with a map loaded that they developed in their shop. Engine runs well for my configuration.

bronxbill 03-19-2012 10:46 AM

On mine, I didn't even bother to remove the O2 sensors from the old head pipe. I just used the supplied plugs for the bungs. The PCV is designed to run with the O2 sensors disconnected

hdivy 03-19-2012 08:54 PM

so i have to buy a turner if i run a catless head pipe..

oldmsocko 03-20-2012 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by hdivy (Post 9546792)

You will need to be able to adjust your air/fuel ratio somehow.

msocko3 03-20-2012 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by hdivy (Post 9546792)

A tuner would be the best direction or you could go with XIED's from these folks http://sales.nightrider.com/Touring_c_16.html.

hdivy 03-21-2012 08:15 AM

Well I had a
Power comm on my hd street glide and I did not like it at all. Hard to get it to crank and sometime it idle and some time it would not. I think I just keep it stock.

I have a stock head pipe with the cat removed for sale.

Noble Jim 03-21-2012 09:19 AM

Cobras

Originally Posted by harleynewher (Post 8986781)
I was thinking of changing my stock mufflers over to something a little more exciting. I noticed that the stock left muffler is different than the right side.
The right side seems to be straight through design, but the left side has a plug inside about 8" in. I was wondering if this is there for a reason?
What will work on a 2010 Tri Glide? Do I have to change the head pipes or can I just use the slip on kind of muffler?
Has any one used the Cobra Tri-Ovals on their trike and how do you like them?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, I have the Cobra Tri-Ovals on my 2012 Tri Glide. They look good, sound great. Keep in mind that the rear of the TG is pretty low to the ground and the tri-ovals go closer to the ground than the stock mufflers. I dragged mine slightly twice, but would not change them, just watch where you go. BTW, no damage to them at all. Good luck with your decision.

TaylorMcStrat 03-21-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Noble Jim (Post 9553325)
Yes, I have the Cobra Tri-Ovals on my 2012 Tri Glide. They look good, sound great. Keep in mind that the rear of the TG is pretty low to the ground and the tri-ovals go closer to the ground than the stock mufflers. I dragged mine slightly twice, but would not change them, just watch where you go. BTW, no damage to them at all. Good luck with your decision.

You need to put on shock lifts and the TourPac relocator rails from Dennis at tglidestuff.com. Don't try to get cheap and buy inferior stuff off eBay. Get the real thing from Dennis. Thank me later.

They are the best single upgrade you can get for your TG. I no longer drag my pipes, I can run a lower psi in the shocks, and the TP relocator rails allowed me to level the TP while setting it back another inch. All these adjustments make for a MUCh smoother ride, and my wife is very pleased with the results when we ride 2-up. I am happy I'm not dragging my arse around town.

msocko3 03-21-2012 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by TaylorMcStrat (Post 9554195)
You need to put on shock lifts and the TourPac relocator rails from Dennis at tglidestuff.com. Don't try to get cheap and buy inferior stuff off eBay. Get the real thing from Dennis. Thank me later.

They are the best single upgrade you can get for your TG. I no longer drag my pipes, I can run a lower psi in the shocks, and the TP relocator rails allowed me to level the TP while setting it back another inch. All these adjustments make for a MUCh smoother ride, and my wife is very pleased with the results when we ride 2-up. I am happy I'm not dragging my arse around town.

+1 on the shock lifts, Dennis is the only place to go. The ones on Ebay are third rate with some pretty sloppy workmanship.