Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2010 Tri Glide exhaust change over

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 PM
harleynewher
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Tri Glide exhaust change over

I was thinking of changing my stock mufflers over to something a little more exciting. I noticed that the stock left muffler is different than the right side.
The right side seems to be straight through design, but the left side has a plug inside about 8" in. I was wondering if this is there for a reason?
What will work on a 2010 Tri Glide? Do I have to change the head pipes or can I just use the slip on kind of muffler?
Has any one used the Cobra Tri-Ovals on their trike and how do you like them?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Unless you remove the cat, mufflers will sound about the same...the cat really clogs things up...
You can cut the cat out of the stock head pipe or buy a aftermarket head pipe, Fuel Moto or Full Sac would be my choice....

Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default pipes

I think most touring pipes will fit, I have the Kerkers off of my 04 Electra Glide on my 11 Tri Glide and they slip right on brackets are the same and length is the same. I also noticed that the stock pipes had different baffels but for what reason I don't know probably to equalize back pressure if one pipe is shorter than the other but I have never heard of this being an issue with replacement pipes.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I put Rush slip-ons with 2 1/2" baffles on the '09, and Reinhardt slip-ons on wife's '11. Reinhardts sound a bit deeper and a little louder, but neither is 'too loud', but sound a lot better than stock.

Good Luck!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my headpipe with the Fuelmoto stainless pipe and their Jackpot mufflers & noticed that the left side muffler has a smaller diameter internal tube than the right side. Fuelmoto said it had to do with tuning.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Is there something I'm missing here? About a couple years back, I got the Fuelmoto headpipe, Supertrapp SE mufflers and PC V fuel management. I don't remember anything about a "left" and "right" muffler. Never saw anything stamped on each muffler. I might be losing power if they aren't matched(?)

Old 10-30-2011, 09:44 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Originally Posted by Boom
Is there something I'm missing here? About a couple years back, I got the Fuelmoto headpipe, Supertrapp SE mufflers and PC V fuel management. I don't remember anything about a "left" and "right" muffler. Never saw anything stamped on each muffler. I might be losing power if they aren't matched(?)
When I ordered the pipe & mufflers they told me about the difference. When I got them I spent 30 minutes searching for a left/right marking & finally looked through them to see the smaller inside diameter of one of them.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley has been doing this for years with the right muffler having less baffling then the left on stock touring exhaust systems. It keeps the bulk of the exhaust flowing out the rightside and the baffle in the left doesnt allow "reversion" to create a decel pop but still flow some exhaust out.

If you ever are around someone who still has the stock system with dual mufflers and you put your hand behind the two mufflers while its running and have them rev the engine you will feel the difference

Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 PM
harleynewher
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Harley has been doing this for years with the right muffler having less baffling then the left on stock touring exhaust systems. It keeps the bulk of the exhaust flowing out the rightside and the baffle in the left doesnt allow "reversion" to create a decel pop but still flow some exhaust out.

If you ever are around someone who still has the stock system with dual mufflers and you put your hand behind the two mufflers while its running and have them rev the engine you will feel the difference
So if I change out my stock mufflers to after market performance mufflers that don't have the restricted left side will I get popping on deceleration?
Does the trike have to be reprogrammed?

Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up pipes

I don't get any popping with mine with aftermarket pipes, all I got was a better sounding bike ! ! ! I would say pick out the pipes that you like the sound of and go for it ! ! !

Quick Reply: 2010 Tri Glide exhaust change over