Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2010 Tri Glide exhaust change over

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harleynewher
So if I change out my stock mufflers to after market performance mufflers that don't have the restricted left side will I get popping on deceleration?
Does the trike have to be reprogrammed?
If you keep the stock headpipe I dont think you will have any reversion because of the cataylatic converter which causes restrictions. If you go with a aftermarket headpipe that doesnt have the converter then its possible depending on the mufflers you could get some decel pop.

As a example, Im using V&H true duals and the V&H Monster Oval mufflers which flow fairly freely. I do get a small amount of decel pop around 2000 rpms but not so bad its annoying.

If you go with a open air cleaner assembly then you should get a tuner to compensate for added air flow to keep you bike from running leaner then its already programed. The ECM has a small amount of learning curve for adjustments but when you open the engine up to breath ( mufflers, air cleaner and including headpipes ) it cant make enough change to keep the engine from running too lean.

If you search some of the older posts in this forum, you will see other owner posts who had heat issues with the stock system and what they did to overcome the excessive heat

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 10-30-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

When we did the bikes, we changed the mufflers and intake. Also had both bikes remapped. No popping, or heat problems with either bike.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 PM
spider2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 4" rineharts on mine the day that I bought it. (2012) I like the look and the sound. I did nothing but add the slip ons. That was 4000 miles ago.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loud Slip Ons

What would you guys (advice) do if you wanted some really loud slip ons. I have a stage one with a Headquarters cam. I'm running Vance and Hines Slash Cuts now. Lets hear us coming!

Diesel

Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog
What would you guys (advice) do if you wanted some really loud slip ons. I have a stage one with a Headquarters cam. I'm running Vance and Hines Slash Cuts now. Lets hear us coming!

Diesel
If you want it really loud just take off the slip ons and run straight pipes.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Still have my gutted cat 2010 exhaust header for sale!....

Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 PM
hdivy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by screwball
I put Rush slip-ons with 2 1/2" baffles on the '09, and Reinhardt slip-ons on wife's '11. Reinhardts sound a bit deeper and a little louder, but neither is 'too loud', but sound a lot better than stock.

Good Luck!

stock head pipe? or Cat removed?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog

Diesel
Have you ditched the cat yet? The cat acts as a muffler, amazing how much the cat quiets things down.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hdivy
stock head pipe? or Cat removed?
Nope, the cats are still in both bikes. Wife and I don't have any problem with them. Don't seem to have the same heating problems others have talked about, we are both very happy with the the performance of the scoots. Both bikes did a 'lap' of the Grand Canyon, Utah, Nevada and Colorado this year and we were very happy with how they rode. We live on the desert in So. Cal, so we ride year round. Seriously, the trikes have more mileage on them than the cars. We preferred my E-Glide and her Deluxe, but somehow we got old and had the choice of Trikes or rocking chairs.... Too old for 2 wheels, way too young for rocking chairs.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM
bullet 10
Tourer

Screwball, glad you like your trikes, I'm also happy with my 2010 after the 30 tooth sprocket change. I'm sure your wife has let you ride her 2011 can't you tell a lot of difference in 1st and 6th gearing over your 2009? When she is running in 6th you are probably in 5th at say 65 mpr. I know before sprocket change on mine 6th gear was not in the picture until 70 and then on fairly flat roads.

Quick Reply: 2010 Tri Glide exhaust change over