Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Butch:I would certainly be concerned if you believe the soft brake peddle is from the brake fluid heating up. PM certainly has a problem and you as well if that is the case. M3 is also in the same boat. I wonder if Eagle1 has noticed a soft brake peddle??

Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
I wondered if that wasn't what they modeled they're master cylinder from. After making the comments to Rockwell about the heat affecting the braking system I got to thinking that maybe I should check the system again so I did, boy what a job. I first tried to take the hex screws off, no luck, couldn't get to them very well, so I ended taking off the lower fairing and then I was able to get to the hex screws, the front one no problem but the back one was work. Some one with fat fingers will have a time of it. Any way...brother and I checked the bleeders and the banjo bolts and found no air in the system. For those watching this episode here are a few pictures of PM's master cylinder in it resting position on the trike as you can see it's hiding.
Performance Machine

Butch
That bugger sure is tucked in there tight, I haven't put mine on until I reach the end of the saga with PM. I'm going to give them a ring today and see what they have to say.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Butch:I would certainly be concerned if you believe the soft brake peddle is from the brake fluid heating up. PM certainly has a problem and you as well if that is the case. M3 is also in the same boat. I wonder if Eagle1 has noticed a soft brake peddle??
I am concerned, it's hard to get at for servicing, and I do believe I'm having heat problems and the outside high temp here right now is around 50*F. yes there is concern.
I'm told that the heat coming out of the exhaust port is around 1000 degrees, It's hard to believe that the temp will drop below 300 degrees by the time it reaches the area of the master cylinder, that's about a foot.
I haven't heard from Eagle1.
Butch

Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by msocko3
That bugger sure is tucked in there tight, I haven't put mine on until I reach the end of the saga with PM. I'm going to give them a ring today and see what they have to say.
It is tucked in there, I put my left hand around the back side of the header to aid with getting the hex wrench and all I was able to do is knock the hex wrench away, it was very frustrating and once the hex was seated all you could get was about a qaurter turn at a time.
I also be call them this morning this morning.
Butch

Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Please forgive my ignorance, I've read this thread a couple of times and don't understand the need to change the rear breaks. I didn't read where you were having problems, and on most of the other threads here and on the 'other' trike board, there were complaints about the breaks not working correctly, or squeaking. 1400 large is a lot to spend for squeaking, especially when their trike is under warranty. Wife and I have an '09 and '11. We don't ride 2 up, or pull a trailer. Rear breaks seem adequate, are we missing something?

Again, pardon my ignorance. I just tend to get worried when I see threads like this.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Copasetic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the time you guys started this thread I was having the Harley dealer near where I have been in Florida install the PM stage one rear brake kit. There were no installation problems that I was made aware of and I rode the bike about 25 to 30 miles home from the dealer in 80 degree weather. The brakes felt really solid, a massive improvement from the stock brakes.
It appears there is very little clearance between the master cylinder and my stock (2009) head pipe (maybe 1/2 inch), but so far so good.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:32 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by screwball
Please forgive my ignorance, I've read this thread a couple of times and don't understand the need to change the rear breaks. I didn't read where you were having problems, and on most of the other threads here and on the 'other' trike board, there were complaints about the breaks not working correctly, or squeaking. 1400 large is a lot to spend for squeaking, especially when their trike is under warranty. Wife and I have an '09 and '11. We don't ride 2 up, or pull a trailer. Rear breaks seem adequate, are we missing something?

Again, pardon my ignorance. I just tend to get worried when I see threads like this.
Nothing wrong with a good question. I really didn't have any big issues with the rear brakes even when pulling my trailer. I decided to go with the PM brake kit for a couple reasons. I figured a little more brake power in the rear would be a good thing since I do pull a trailer and do so while riding 2 up. The other reason is the PM wheels I'm installing show more of the rotor and caliper area of the Trike. Once I finally get the trike finished I'll post some pictures of the completed work.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Copasetic
About the time you guys started this thread I was having the Harley dealer near where I have been in Florida install the PM stage one rear brake kit. There were no installation problems that I was made aware of and I rode the bike about 25 to 30 miles home from the dealer in 80 degree weather. The brakes felt really solid, a massive improvement from the stock brakes.
It appears there is very little clearance between the master cylinder and my stock (2009) head pipe (maybe 1/2 inch), but so far so good.
Thanks for reporting in, I'm hoping I can get PM to say its just ducky to run the master cylinder as it came. I will be running synthetic brake fluid which has a boiling point of 500 deg but my concern is the seals of the master cylinder being exposed to high heat for hours on end.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:38 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by msocko3
Thanks for reporting in, I'm hoping I can get PM to say its just ducky to run the master cylinder as it came. I will be running synthetic brake fluid which has a boiling point of 500 deg but my concern is the seals of the master cylinder being exposed to high heat for hours on end.
Synthetic brake fluid? What brand and number would that be? The brakes felt good today. I didn't notice any extra pedal travel but also didn't use it to much either.
Here is picture of how I ended up adding more brake fluid yesturday.
Those are good looking wheels, anxious to see them on the trike.
Butch

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000770-640x480-.jpg  

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 04-11-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
Synthetic brake fluid? What brand and number would that be? The brakes felt good today. I didn't notice any extra pedal travel but also didn't use it to much either.
Here is picture of how I ended up adding more brake fluid yesturday.
Those are good looking wheels, anxious to see them on the trike.
Butch
This is the fluid I picked up http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-38...d-1-liter.aspx , I got the info from one of the post from Eagle1 over at TT.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Rear Brakes